• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help emails in gmail with vodeo. not working

pauly814

Nov 7, 2009
Someone sent me an email from their incredible with a video, m4v, attached. I can't even click on the attachment to view the video.

If I do a preview,I get an error. Also if I send myself an email with a 3gp video and do a preview, it just spins at fetching attachment.

Is this normal? How can I download the video. How can I play it ?

this is a fault of the GMail app, as opposed to the HTC Mail app.
GMail is a bit finnicky and won't necessarily download the attachment(s) to your phone from your email--it will only try to 'preview' it, and Videos are a PITA to Preview. so, use the HTC Mail app.
(similarly, this is also the solution for people looking to download a .pdf file through their GMail app)

here's the solution for the 3gp file:

open the email in your MAIL app (HTC app). tap the 'attachment' portion of the email, you'll see it spinning for a moment, then turn into a Paperclip icon. (if it keep spinning, try opening the email while on WiFi connection)
when you've done this, you've downloaded the attachment to your phone\sd card\downloads folder

now, do 1 of 2 things
1) app tray>videos>watch the video
2) use a file explorer to navigate to the phone\sd card\downloads folder and tap the video & choose which Video player you want to use to view the video.

for the m4v file:
sadly, the M4V isn't supported on Android. perhaps an alternate video player from the Market supports it (like vPlayer)--but not the native player itself: if it is a true M4V (apple/iphone/ipod) video file--as something usually laidened with DRM--if it were purchased through the iTunes store then it won't be playable on anything but an Apple device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones