1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Emails on phone not making it to computer mail

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tomer621, Sep 21, 2011.

1. tomer621

tomer621 Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi,

I found some mails i get on my phone don't make it to my mail box?!?
    It seems that the ones read on the phone just say there, while the ones read on the computer appear in both.

any ideas what setting need to be changes and how this could suddenly happen
    (discloser: I do have a 3.5 y.o. which gets ahold of my phone whenever he can and i'm not around to guard it :eek: )

thanks
    t.

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    What type of email access is defined on your phone?

If your email account is set up using the POP3 protocol then the first computer to read the message is typically the recipient of the message. POP3 messages are downloaded from the server onto the email client and then typically deleted from the server. It's possible in many email clients to set a flag that will leave a copy of the message on the server which other POP3 clients can then access but this is an advanced setting that is not always enabled.

If your email access is set up using IMAP instead of POP3 then your client(s) and the server would become connected in a more real time fashion. You client reads the messages on the server and can manipulate it just as if it were local to the email client. Other email clients can also access and manipulate the message on the server. If one of the clients then deletes the messages it's deleted from every connected email client.

3. Eric Chomier

Eric Chomier Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    one of my friends had that problem it is something to do with the SMTP client setting or the app which is configured to handle email on your phone. check its settings to get rid of this problem.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    SMTP is for sending email, so not likely to be related.

Martiumus nailed it :)

I use POP3 at home so my home computer will download (and store) the messages. Then only run the computer email when at home. (And try to remember to turn it off before leaving). But even so my home computer will not delete messages from the server unless they are over 14 days old.

On my phone I use IMAP so that the phone will not "download/store" the messages -- it just "views" them (so to speak).

(Technically it does kinda download them but doesnt "mark" them as downloaded. This way my home computer will still "see" and download the messages for storage).