• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Embarrasing question

djle9

Lurker
Aug 2, 2013
I'm totally new to smart phones and never understood about downloading apps. I assume if its an Iphone, you have an Istore account. Google account for android phones etc.

I have a Samsung phone and when I first turned it on, supplied my google account. When I search for apps, all I see is Samsung app finder. Is this what I am supposed to use to download apps?

Also is there supposed to be a linked credit card or something to it to be able to download games etc or paid for apps? how do you link it?

I already read the "Please read me first- things to know about android phones". Didnt answer this question.

If there is a guide or link that really explain smart phones for total beginners, I be grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Also, what the google account for on the web? I guess its a place for you to have all your apps in one place and for u to be able to logg onto a phone and have the apps and settings download themselves?

Total newbie sorry.

I dont think it matters but

model phone samsung young gt-s5360
android version 2.3.6 I noticed theres a newer version online -ill figure how to update it later since my phone thinks its on the newest one.
kernel version 2.6.35.7
build number gingerbread

~edit - ok so i signed in to googleplay and tried to download a free app to try to understand things. It says "you dont have any devices"

What do I do. Thanks =|

uploadfromtaptalk1375463853171.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm totally new to smart phones and never understood about downloading apps. I assume if its an Iphone, you have an Istore account. Google account for android phones etc.

I have a Samsung phone and when I first turned it on, supplied my google account. When I search for apps, all I see is Samsung app finder. Is this what I am supposed to use to download apps?

Also is there supposed to be a linked credit card or something to it to be able to download games etc or paid for apps? how do you link it?

I already read the "Please read me first- things to know about android phones". Didnt answer this question.

If there is a guide or link that really explain smart phones for total beginners, I be grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Also, what the google account for on the web? I guess its a place for you to have all your apps in one place and for u to be able to logg onto a phone and have the apps and settings download themselves?

Total newbie sorry.

I dont think it matters but

model phone samsung young gt-s5360
android version 2.3.6 I noticed theres a newer version online -ill figure how to update it later since my phone thinks its on the newest one.
kernel version 2.6.35.7
build number gingerbread

~edit - ok so i signed in to googleplay and tried to download a free app to try to understand things. It says "you dont have any devices"

What do I do. Thanks =|

Tap the Play Store icon (as shown above by MrGlowy, and you'll be taken there. It's got a search icon at the top right, and many categories and suggestions. It is divided up into "paid" and "free," "top paid" and "top free," etc.

The Google/Gmail account is how Play Store identifies you and keeps a list of your downloaded stuff and protects your account should you decide to make purchases in there.

Have fun. It's a huge place. :D

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
Tap the Play Store icon (as shown above by MrGlowy, and you'll be taken there. It's got a search icon at the top right, and many categories and suggestions. It is divided up into "paid" and "free," "top paid" and "top free," etc.
I always forget about this way of doing it! Why? Because I prefer to access the Play Store via my computers (so I can actually SEE what I'm doing!). So, in addition to Frisco's info, you can also use a web browser and go to play.google.com/store. Log in with your Google account. Then you can browse apps and when you see something you're interested in, select it and then choose 'install.' Unless it's incompatible with your device--which it will tell you--it'll proceed to install the app on your phone.

Upvote 0
QFT

And 4:

Android Fourms is a source for answers, not a clearing house that points people to Google, even though now and then we will provide a link to a pdf manual along with our informed responses. ;)

"Use Google search" isn't the AF way... let's answer a question or move on, eh? :)

Upvote 0

What do I do. Thanks =|
Welcome to the Forum :)

You're in the right place that's filled with lots of good info. As your time permits, besides asking questions, feel free to browse around here and read up on what others have posted that pertains to your model. Like any other website you're unfamiliar with, it may take a little getting used to but once you learn the layout you will find plenty to read and learn.

Congratulations on your new phone.

Enjoy :)

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Just so all you know. I have tried searching for the answers with varying phrases. I was bombarded with so many things that I would have to read and understand that I have a decent checklist to go through that I prob find useful.

Things like battery life, apps, root, ram, widgets, maps/directions....idk.. pretty over whelming.

But what I was asking seemed to be so basic that there doesnt seem to be info avail on it as to explaining it. Or perhaps it was my search phrase. It is hard to phrase at least to me.

Thank you for the help/responses.

Upvote 0
Just so all you know. I have tried searching for the answers with varying phrases. I was bombarded with so many things that I would have to read and understand that I have a decent checklist to go through that I prob find useful.

Things like battery life, apps, root, ram, widgets, maps/directions....idk.. pretty over whelming.

But what I was asking seemed to be so basic that there doesnt seem to be info avail on it as to explaining it. Or perhaps it was my search phrase. It is hard to phrase at least to me.

Thank you for the help/responses.

Hi. :)

Welcome to the forums!

I guess you caught us on a bad day. :p

I see some attempts at trying to help you and a lot of off-topic chatter that has nothing to do with your simple questions.

We're usually a lot friendlier. :eek:

So here's what we'll do - we're going to focus on getting your questions answered.

And we're not going to discuss anything else. :)

And no, it's not just you, I can back you up on that.

First time entry into the Android ecosystem and the Play Store is confusing for a lot of folks. You have a lot of the same questions my personal friends have had. Questions I've had myself. :p

Some have been addressed.

But we're going to address everything. Because you've given me the idea that what we need is good Play Store primer that everyone on our forums can use. :)

Let's begin with credit cards in terms that you asked.

I recall that once upon a time, you had to put in your credit card at Apple to get started. I think that's where your question about that began.

With Android, you can but you don't have to. The Play Store will work perfectly fine for you without one.

Android has a wealth of free apps, many supported by ads. If you don't like the ads, you generally can pay a buck or so, the ads go away and sometimes you get extra features from the developer as a thank you for your purchase.

You can input your credit card info at any time, or never and just roll free.

We use the term ecosystem - an Apple marketing term - to describe the relationship of apps, services and ways to use them on your Android.

The Android ecosystem begins with your Gmail account. The Play Store associates everything with that.

Why?

Because apps don't belong to your device, they belong to you. And you choose what devices get which apps, and there are no restrictions - unless a developer creates one that says, my app is only for phone XYZ or something.

With that scheme you can get a phone, a tablet, another phone, and not have to worry about paying for apps twice or how to manage them.

Usually, a single app download from the Play Store on your phone is enough to register your device.

After that you can go to the Play Store on your pc and edit the name of your device if needed.

You can install and uninstall apps to your heart's content or until you run out of space, whichever comes first.

Apps are easy to find and hard to find. Google search in the Play Store is nothing to write home about. Never has been. I mean, it sort of works, but it always lists a bunch of stuff that doesn't relate to your search. Science has yet to provide an explanation.

The solution is easy.

We have an application and a games forum and over 1.5 million members, usually thousands hanging around here and there. You can ask about apps you need and get advice before getting started.

Those are over here -

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/

http://androidforums.com/android-games/

Great stuff over there, but the greatest of them all is this -

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

No kidding - you want to read that. It's written to help you avoid malware and garbage apps and will help show you how to judge the good stuff.

So I'm going to stop here for now.

Let's discuss it, let me know what you need, and we'll go from there. :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Apps are easy to find and hard to find. Google search in the Play Store is nothing to write home about. Never has been. I mean, it sort of works, but it always lists a bunch of stuff that doesn't relate to your search. Science has yet to provide an explanation.

Yes, Google, the search expert, has managed to make their own stuff difficult to search, despite the monetary motivation you might think they'd have. Not only is the search as described but there is no way to filter or sort results by any useful criteria. Possibly even worse, there's no way to browse other than top free/top paid/newest.

However, there is some hope. Not only are there alternative stores like the Amazon appstore (not much better), but there are other websites that catalog, search, and sort apps in Google's Play store. You will want to be careful when trying to find such sites; some could be quite shady. A decent one is Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com which sends you to Google Play once you find what you want.

And by the way, everything off topic is now gone, so I think that will make this much easier to follow. :)

Could those posts be moved to another thread? I think it's a valid and important discussion.

Upvote 0
Great call on AppBrain! :)

And Amazon. :)

And fair enough on the other posts - they're not deleted, just temporarily hidden while I was on my way to deciding what you decided for me so I don't have to. :D Srsly, I was looking to see if they would fit an existing thread, but I'm cool with a new one, why not?

I'll get them a new thread as soon as I can.

Upvote 0
Also, I don't know if it's been covered, but if you get the Android Market instead of Google Play on your phone(my old Captivate with 2.3 does this everytime I do a factory reset), IIRC you just need to download an app(using the ANdroid Market on the phone, rather than the computer), and then Google Play should download as well. It would show up in your app drawer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones