• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emergency Contacts - not on all versions?

mz123

Lurker
Jun 27, 2011
I've got a Motorola Droid X, running Android version 2.3.4 (a Gingerbread version).
System version 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

When I go to my Contacts list, at the top there is a big red cross next to "In case of emergency". When I select that, I can add up to 3 contacts. Then on the phone's lockscreen, there are now two tabs: one is Emergency Call, and the other is Emergency Contacts (where the 3 contacts now show up).

A colleague has an HTC phone, same version of Android; I don't know her system version etc. but she's also with Verizon. Her phone's contacts list has no such emergency contacts capability. Another colleague has an HTC with T-Mobile, running a version of Froyo, and his phone doesn't have this either.

Is this something that was added with 2.3.x? If so, any suggestions on how my colleague might get it to appear on her phone? She's going to download an ICE app anyway, but it would be nice if she could get this capability separately.

I know the topic has come up before, but not all that recently and the threads I found didn't seem to address this.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones