• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emergency!! Sneaky new internet sales tax going through fast, Call your Representativ

If no merchant in town carries the item, can't or won't special order it, then you shouldn't be penalized for having to go elsewhere to get said item. Since all the merchants (except really exclusive ones) are competing with Wally World, you can just imagine what's available. Phone people aren't sheep. Those who follow fashion ARE!

This town is truly "Little Boxes on the Hillside" not Levittown, LI.

Upvote 0
I have enjoyed getting purchases tax free, I'll admit, but I am not completely opposed to this, I think it will help local businesses.

I am not sure if it will help local concerns in a meaningful way or not. We must wait until the law is passed to see what the impace is.

About all I can say is states will get this passed one way or another.

I buy locally only when I have no other choice. No local business can hope to compete with the online concerns because no local business stocks the variety I demand.

Case in point: local pen dealers. Only a few dealers in SLC and for the most part, the sales folks do not know anything about their wares.

To be fair, I would never expect a local dealer to carry vintage bike parts or the ink colors I prefer. Fortunately, what I require is only a day or two away.

to be fair to the other side: i am sick and tired of local sales people not knowing anything about their product line. I do not like waiting for help or being pushed in a direction I know I do not need to go.

Not to mention, the variety is limited. Online, I can find thousands of models-vintage and new.

People will simply pony up a few more dollars and gripe for a moment. Life will go on.

BTW, not every state must collect sales tax (as I understand it, right now) and not every seller (as I understand it from a lazy and cursory investigation) must collect taxes.

If this is passed, we will know more about the rules and changes that may or may not impact Internet sellers.

Upvote 0
To be fair, we pay VAT on pretty much everything. :(

Do you ever remember a store called Makro? It was designed for business owners etc and a lot of the stuff there was VAT exempt iirc.

Cash and carry stores are often designed for small businesses and such.

VAT is only supposed to be paid once (In Europe at least), so business owners will buy things sans VAT providing the product is sold later with it.

Upvote 0
Why shouldn't there be a sales tax on goods sold online? I find it interesting how VAT varies so much in the US (even from county to county!), in Europe there are set bands for different stuff.

The problem is, we don't even have a VAT tax in America. The argument is that poor people can't afford an extra ~2% on groceries, and the burden should be forced onto rich people to pick up the slack, even though poor people use public services as much as the next person. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the argument.

And there's sales tax in stores, so there should be sales tax online. Will I still enjoy buying stuff online tax free until the bill passes? Of course. Will I be bummed that I'll have to start paying taxes online? Of course. But I'll get over it, and in the end it is a good thing for America, especially with our country's debt problems.

And it is far from sneaky. The government trying to tax online sales has been around for a long time now. It's just finally now making progress.

Upvote 0
The problem is, we don't even have a VAT tax in America. The argument is that poor people can't afford an extra ~2% on groceries, and the burden should be forced onto rich people to pick up the slack, even though poor people use public services as much as the next person. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's the argument.

I don't know anywhere that charges VAT on fruit, vegetables, fish - even meat. VAT is on luxuries generally. Cake, fuel, what have you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones