• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emoji on Android

637070de77ea67baedc4b57791161e5e.jpg

They look normal emoji to me?

Upvote 0
This is emoji from the Wiki, as displayed in Chrome.
emojiwiki.jpg

And these two are SwiftKey on my phone.
emoji1.jpgemoji2.jpg
It's definitely colour Emoji. as opposed to doing smileys, :) ;) :D

The ":)" on the right, that's for the traditional smileys with SwiftKey.

You need Android 4.3 or higher for complete Emoji support. I'm using 4.4.4.
@wracked, what device and version of Android have you got?
If you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji with your Android, are you seeing emoji, or just a load of boxes or "X"s or something?

Upvote 0
Hi.

Is it possible to get Emoji on Android?
I have emoji in Go Sms Pro and Whatsapp and Facebook, but not on a ton of other apps. Is it possible to get it to those?

Thanks!

I may be able to help you, but first what version of android are you using? And are you rooted? Because there's a way of getting the normal Apple emoji if you're rooted.

Upvote 0
Hi!

I am new here (and just got my Moto X 2013 as my patience for iPhone ended).

So far so good (actually I am stunned how good Android has gotten). But I also have an issue with the Emoji.

The android ones look really weird (esp. the smileys) and scary. In WhatsApp some are OK like in iPhone, others look weird too.

If you can explain how to get them to work the old good iPhone way and also explain rooting to a newbie I'd be greateful!

Upvote 0
It would then depend on the keyboard you use for inserting emojj to determine how they look like on your phone (they would still look different on another phone depending on what they have). Some keyboards like swiftkeh has their own version of the emoji display. I think SlideIt keyboard was one which uses the iPhone emoji looks.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
It would then depend on the keyboard you use for inserting emojj to determine how they look like on your phone (they would still look different on another phone depending on what they have). Some keyboards like swiftkeh has their own version of the emoji display. I think SlideIt keyboard was one which uses the iPhone emoji looks.

The design of how a particular emoji set looks is not standard. Originally it was monochrome from Japan(DoCoMo, etc.), and it was Apple that introduced the colour emoji set. But others may dare not copy it exactly, because of copyright infringement and the risk of multi-million dollar law suits. So they often use their own designs. WeChat uses its own emoji set, regardless of what's in the phone, so any WeChat users will always see the same emoji.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones