• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
^this.

Look at the detailed specs further down the page. That's a rock-bottom spec in terms of cpu & RAM. It only has 2G, so I hope you don't intend to use mobile data, and the screen has the pixel density of a 3.2" QVGA budget phone of a couple of years ago or a first-generation e-ink reader. And then there's the things that you can't tell from the spec, such as whether "5 MPix camera" is of a usable quality.

But on top of that, consider that they are selling it at a profit for

Upvote 0
I also have a Youpu - the U6 model. As mentioned above, no 3G. Completely noob question - does 3G compatibilty depend of the actual build of the smartphone or can it be obtained through firmware upgrade?

Also, I've tried without success trying to root this thing, but after hours of searching and trying just about every rooting app out there I'm still at square one. Here are the phone specs:

CPU: MT6517/ 2 cores (some apps on the phone report this as MT 6577)
Android vers. 4.1.1
Baseband Version: MAUl.11AMD.W12.22.SP.V5.P7
Kernel Version: 3.0.13
Build Number: ALPS.ICS2.MP.V1

I would really appreciate any assistance you can give on this. I'm on the verge of eBaying it and getting a more recognized brand :-(((

Upvote 0
Panic over. I have finally managed to root my Youpu U6 using Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v18_2. I had tried using this tool previously but without success on my Linux Mint 14 PC. I was getting a raft of "permissions denied" messages. Suddenly overcome by a bout of clear thinking I decided to investigate further and checked the permissions on the Root_with_Restore folder on the PC. Applying the correct permissions solved the problem. Needless to say, I am very relieved. :D:D:D

Upvote 0
Emoto 5.3" 8GB Android 4.1 Mobile Phone Smartphone Unlocked Touch Screen Black | eBay

What do you think? Anybody got one ?
-- Just posted, bought one recent it does what it says, you can't expect top gear for that price, my only moan is that I can't get the browser to open google for me
mad.gif
AND no user guide, the leaflet they send is no use at all
Any help or ideas ???

Upvote 0
You won't get the browser to work realistically unless you haven't started school yet. It's running on 2G speeds. The Google page (which is about as minimal as you can grt, should take a few minutes to load.

Phones from the Shenzhen Copy Machine may look like they're worth the money, but it's 2014. They were worth those prices in 2004 - just barely. (We sold single camera phones back then for under US$100 - with internet. In fact, the Motorola W385 was free with a one year contract.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones