• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Emulators & Controllers for HTC EVO V

I'm loving my Ipega controller!!! I now have another reason to love Android phones. The Ipega works flawlessly with Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced games (yeah .... I'm old - hehe), and without any controller app. I use John GBC Lite for GB ROMs and GBA.emu for GBA ROMs.

For Asphalt 7, the controller steers with the d-pad or thumb thingy (I don't use that thingy, still old). I'm not sure if throttle can be controlled, but it would be nice to have brake and nitro mapped to buttons.

Upvote 0
Through together a video running through my current set-up of emulators and games paired with the icontrolpad. The video description has all the necessary information if you would like replicate the experience on your phone.

A Guide to getting the most game out of your Android/iOS Device (iControlpad, Emulators, Apps) - YouTube

How did you get Kainy to run that smoothly? Mine will stutter every 1-2 seconds and the framerate drops from 60 to about 10 back to 60

Upvote 0
I got the Moga Controller and I'm using the universal app in the play store and it is awesome!! Got it working perfectly on n64oid and Broglia's emulators thanks to key mapping!

The Moga certainly looks like a quality controller but when I read reviews for that device I learned that the supported games was very limited. The moga universal driver you mentioned helps increase its appeal considerably. My only other issue with the device was its lack of D-pad.

How did you get Kainy to run that smoothly? Mine will stutter every 1-2 seconds and the framerate drops from 60 to about 10 back to 60

A number of factors could be attributed to your performance issues. The easiest and cheapest possible problem would be network related. I would make sure that your firewall on your PC is configured to permit the program to have unrestricted access. I would also make sure that you have configured the necessary ports in your router to be forwarded. Also if you are using wifi try and plug your PC directly into the router/modem. The other potential issue could be your cpu. The developer of kainy recommends your computer's cpu has two or more processing cores. This is because when you are running the game with Kainy the cpu is now tasked with recording and encoding a video stream in addition to running the game. The computer I used in the video has a 6 core AMD CPU clocked at 3 GHz.

When running the game with kainy my CPU averages around 70% load.

When running the game with out kainy the CPU load averaged in around %40.

Hope this helps

Reactions: vernave
Upvote 0
The Moga certainly looks like a quality controller but when I read reviews for that device I learned that the supported games was very limited. The moga universal driver you mentioned helps increase its appeal considerably. My only other issue with the device was its lack of D-pad.

A number of factors could be attributed to your performance issues. The easiest and cheapest possible problem would be network related. I would make sure that your firewall on your PC is configured to permit the program to have unrestricted access. I would also make sure that you have configured the necessary ports in your router to be forwarded. Also if you are using wifi try and plug your PC directly into the router/modem. The other potential issue could be your cpu. The developer of kainy recommends your computer's cpu has two or more processing cores. This is because when you are running the game with Kainy the cpu is now tasked with recording and encoding a video stream in addition to running the game. The computer I used in the video has a 6 core AMD CPU clocked at 3 GHz.

When running the game with kainy my CPU averages around 70% load.

When running the game with out kainy the CPU load averaged in around %40.

Hope this helps

I have a SB i3 so that ought to have the power to handle it since it's hyper-threaded. I made sure that the firewall is configured, so that isn't it. I have my PC hooked up to ethernet so that shouldn't be a problem.

It could be the fact that I am on university internet, so the wifi has relatively high latency on the phone end and 3g is so slow it's unusable. I also can't forward the port on the router, since I don't have access to it.

Thanks for the very detailed suggestions. If you can think of anything else within my control I could use, that would be great.

Upvote 0
I have a SB i3 so that ought to have the power to handle it since it's hyper-threaded. I made sure that the firewall is configured, so that isn't it. I have my PC hooked up to ethernet so that shouldn't be a problem.

It could be the fact that I am on university internet, so the wifi has relatively high latency on the phone end and 3g is so slow it's unusable. I also can't forward the port on the router, since I don't have access to it.

Thanks for the very detailed suggestions. If you can think of anything else within my control I could use, that would be great.

I would try and reduce the bandwidth and overhead required to stream the gameplay. Since you are playing on a smaller screen the game does not need to be rendered in 1080p. I would drop the resolution on the game or desktop down to something more commensurate with the resolution of the screen on the device (e.g. 1152 x 648). Note dropping the resolution down should also help with legibility of the text. The other thing you can try is once you have a stream started press the menu button on the android device and on the bar that pops up select settings. On the settings screen scroll down to the sounds heading and tap the sound quality box, select good or fair. Next go to the image quality box and try the settings Good (faster) or Fix (faster). Also try streaming when you think the network would have the least amount of traffic (I would guess maybe 3am - 7am). Finally to ensure its not the cpu try streaming something that is not cpu intensive (e.g. starcraft I, solitaire).

Upvote 0
I've found this tablet bluetooth controller and was wondering if anybody knows if it's compatible with or possible to run our phone. I run Mobster Rom HD Lite.

I have that controller and it worked for every thing I've used it for in my tablet tf300 and my phone the evo v 4g. The cool thing about this controller is there is a button on the back that can switch it from a game pad to a keyboard gamepad so you can play lots of games. The thing that i had the hardest time figuring out was that when you switch the game pad between gamepad mode and keyboard mode is that is make the controller act as two different controllers, and you have to pair both of them. I bought one and liked it going to buy another for multiplayer. Can connect another controller to the one that is connected to your phone / tablet in keyboard gamepad mode allowing you to map buttons for two completely wireless controllers. I also like the gameplay with the controller smooth sticks, and its rechargeable battery is pretty sweet last a long time and easily recharges with usb cable included.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones