• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Enabing the Note II as a Mass Storage Device

Mike_M87

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
U.K
Hi Guys,

Just got the Note II and have to say I am very impressed. Currently been an iPhone user for 4 years and have to say I'm not disappointed in the Note II, it's a breath of fresh air.

Just wondering how you enable the device to show as a mass storage device when connected to a computer.

Thanks for any advice :D

Mike.

Without root, you can't make any SD memory, internal or external, show up in storage mode. That functionality was pulled out after Gingerbread.

ICS has unified internal memory now, and since storage mode requires exclusive file access and lockouts, it won't allow it. You have to use MTP to move files over, but this is a bit kludgy and doesn't work well with Macs. It also works with limited file types. Not sure why they don't allow storage mode for microSD memory unless it's because >ICS does not technically support microSD so they didn't program it to do so.

You could always plug your microSD card into the PC to get storage mode. Alternately, Airdroid and its ilk can transfer files wirelessly. For phone initiated wifi transfers, I use Solid Explorer Beta 2. This way, I get the same kind of speed as Airdroid without having to go through a desktop browser interface.

Upvote 0
It works with Windows 7 and Windows XP. Just make sure your windows updates are current. Also if your Note 2 screen is locked by pass code or pattern, you have to unlock it for the phone drive to show up.

It is so much easier than using iTunes on the iPhone. I could just drag and drop videos, music, audiobooks, etc... and better yet, I can delete them on the phone itself! Imagine that! For those of you who never used iPhone, it won't let you delete songs on the iPhone without connecting it to iTunes. I have the older version of OS, so I have to physically connect to my PC in order to delete songs on the phone.

Upvote 0
Hi Mike
"Nexus Media Importer" App from Play store is perfect for what you want .Ck it out
I installed and it works perfectly on my Note 2. Better i feel than the previous USB Mass storage on the Note 1.
Woops .Just realized you are connecting to computer .Sorry, thought you were talking about connecting mass storage to your Note
Andy

Upvote 0
I'm surprised people have to go through all of that in order to see the Note 2 as a storage device.

I have a Sprint Note 2 and as soon as I plug it into the computer with a microUSB>usb chord, it gives defaults to viewing the internal and external (microSD) storage. Hmm, maybe another difference between the International and other versions?

I did notice some slight differences in the notification toggle order on the International version vs. the Sprint version, so it's possible.

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed today when transferring some files was that my PC would only detect my Note 2 if I use the stock usb cable. Using one of my other micro cables would result in my PC not even acknowledging my phone. I think it may have to do with the Notes current needs. When I first got my Note it was taking 6 hours to fully charge. Thats because I added a usb extension inline to the stock usb cable. After some research I removed my extension usb and my phone now fully charges in under 3hrs depending on how depleted my battery is. Just throwing this out there in the event folks run into issues, make sure you use the stock usb cable or the like for best results.

Upvote 0
One thing I noticed today when transferring some files was that my PC would only detect my Note 2 if I use the stock usb cable. Using one of my other micro cables would result in my PC not even acknowledging my phone. I think it may have to do with the Notes current needs. When I first got my Note it was taking 6 hours to fully charge. Thats because I added a usb extension inline to the stock usb cable. After some research I removed my extension usb and my phone now fully charges in under 3hrs depending on how depleted my battery is. Just throwing this out there in the event folks run into issues, make sure you use the stock usb cable or the like for best results.

I am using two 99 cents micro USB cables I got from ebay, and they both worked fine in transferring files between laptops and Note II.

Upvote 0
Also AirDroid app (free) is a good option to transfer stuff between computer and the phone wirelessly.
If you have Windows share folders set up, I would seriously recommend Solid Explorer Beta 2 for wireless transfers. You can browse to your share and then copy it to any folder, internal or external. Transfer speeds are fast, about the same as Airdroid, but the advantage here is that the entire process is initiated and processed by the phone, which means you don't have to log into your PC and open the browser to make the connection.

And yes, you can copy the other way as well, from phone to PC.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
If you have Windows share folders set up, I would seriously recommend Solid Explorer Beta 2 for wireless transfers. You can browse to your share and then copy it to any folder, internal or external. Transfer speeds are fast, about the same as Airdroid, but the advantage here is that the entire process is initiated and processed by the phone, which means you don't have to log into your PC and open the browser to make the connection.

Can you explain exactly how you do phone to PC (and vice versa) transfers without using a browser?

The app doesn't really explain enough for me to understand how the process works (as compared to Airdroid).

-EDIT- Scratch that...nevermind, Cobra. I got too curious, so I downloaded and opened up the app. It was way more easy to figure out than I thought. When you click on menu/file sharing, it automatically brings up the ftp site that you'd use in a browser to share/move files back and forth from PC to phone and vice versa! And I see what you're saying about just bookmarking the FTP site and setting your own password. Amazing! Thanks for posting that. If this app had the capabilities of backing up apps, I'd get rid of Astro File Explorer (which I've really grown fond of over the past couple years).

Upvote 0
Weird, I have the Tmo version and I can't do that.

What happens when you plug your phone to your pc? Do you get any sounds? Are you using the stock usb cable or a non oem one?

On my desktop pc, things were literally plug and play. However, on my laptop which is running windows 7 same as my desktop, I had to go into device manager and allow windows to find the driver online. After that all is well on my laptop.

Upvote 0

I installed to see if it'll work on my Mac but haven't had time to really get into yet. Did find real quick how to change the color scheme to pink. :p

Upvote 0
I installed to see if it'll work on my Mac but haven't had time to really get into yet. Did find real quick how to change the color scheme to pink. :p

Only thing holding this back from being better than astro is ability to backup apps without rooting. I don't know what changes the astro team made, but I can't seem to find the straight forward app backup system that they used to have.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0

I have confirmed this. I have a rather long USB cable, about 9 feet, that will not show a drive letter when the phone is plugged in. The phone will charge, but there is no recognition that windows sees the phone.

I went to the stock cable and that does work.

So maybe is had to do with the length or quality of the cable?

Just confirming that I was able to duplicate this issue.

Upvote 0
Is there any way I can see the files on my Galaxy Note 2 using windows explorer?

I'd like to use syncback to keep my music files up to date as Kies doesn't seem to be able to handle this very well.

My AT&T Note II just works out of the box. I plug it in to my home laptop running Windows 7 - 64 bit and my work laptop running Windows XP - SP3 and both could see the phone drive without me doing anything.

I have no idea why others could not get it to work. Maybe it only works on the AT&T version?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones