• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Enable Tethering

Here's how to Enable Tethering if you TetheringProvision.apk instead of the TetheringManager.apk as stated in the previous post.

This is not a simple process and requires decompiling /system/framework-res.apk
Base information was found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2057344

1. Download a copy of APK Multi-Tool
  2. Pull a copy of /system/framework/framework-res.apk from your phone.
  3. Decompile framework-res.apk with APK Multi-Tool
  4. Edit res/values/arrays.xml
    Original:
    Code:
    <string-array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app">
         <item>com.sec.tetheringprovision</item>
         <item>com.sec.tetheringprovision.TetheringProvisionActivity</item>
    </string-array>
    Modified:
    Code:
    <array name="config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" />
  5. Recompile as a system apk and compression set to 0
  6. Say 'yes' to the keep files question and follow the instructions
  7. Restart phone in Recovery
  8. Mount /system
  9. Push the new framework-res.apk to /system/framework (new file name may be called Sytem_framework-res.apk and will need to be changed)
  10. Freeze or remove TetheringProvision.apk as it is no longer needed

This is the process that I eventually used. It took a few soft-bricks (and re-reading the thread above completely several times) before figuring out this procedure.

Upvote 0
There is a pre modified apk and zip files on xda, check it out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=37668101&postcount=144&nocache=1&z=1727445566944374

The flashable .zip file didn't work for me but I was able to copy over the .apk file. It works great now!

I used ADB to push the modified framework-res.apk onto the phone ( /sdcard) but I think you could just use USB in regular mode to drag and drop.
I tried to do the rest in ADB but I couldn't get it to work so here's my workaround:

Boot into recovery (TWRP 2.4.2.0)
Tap "Mount"
select "Mount System"
Go back to "Advanced" tab and select "Terminal Command"
starting folder should be root " / " and tap select (in the lower right)
a terminal window and keyboard should display
then type

[HIGH]mv /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk[/HIGH]I had to specify the file name each time I moved it, including when I did the ADB push.

Reactions: kemonine96
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones