• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Enable the [OP] tag

teddyearp

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Pinetop, AZ
In alot of other forums sites I visit, the user who starts the thread has an [OP] next to their user name in every other of their subsequent posts in the thread. I feel this makes it easier to see the subsequent progress and/or problems the person who started the thread experiences.

Meh, maybe it's an old guy thing with my limited number of working brain cell (singular intended) left, but could that be enabled here?

Is "OP of this thread" or "This thread's OP" too long? (or stupid?)

Hmm. I want it to be short but clear in what it means. I already got one PM asking what it meant.

To the first question yes to both, sorry:)

I think OP or (OP)would be better, you could update the site changes and I'm sure all of us who have been around a while would be more than happy to answer that question if asked. It won't take long for everyone to catch on!:)
It does make the threads easier to follow!!

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Just to throw a spanner in the works "Thread Author" ;)

OP is great once you know what it means. But everyone always has to ask before they know what it means.

^^^Exactly, OP is short, sweet, and easy to learn.

Like Unforgiven said^

...All the guides could put OP= Original Poster as signature

I like OP.

Everyone would start saying something besides OP updated if it were changed to thread author....I would say "First post updated..."

Upvote 0
I love the OP tag and don't want to see it go away but you might want to consider how you will handle merged threads? It is often difficult to follow the flow in long ones anyway, and having two OP's would make it more confusing. I would guess the OP tag will stick with the OP the thread the other one is merged into?

In merged threads I guess it should have OP for the first post in merged thread, and OP Post ## for the OP of the thread merged in...

Upvote 0
Is red the best colour choice? I'd have thought that black would be best, since we use colours as an indicator of usergroup.

In merged threads I guess it should have OP for the first post in merged thread, and OP Post ## for the OP of the thread merged in...

I don't know if Vbulletin keeps track of that kind of thing, to be honest. I think that would require a custom-built solution.

But then we try not to merge two or more long threads anyway, so I don't think it's going to cause too much confusion.

Upvote 0
Is red the best colour choice? I'd have thought that black would be best, since we use colours as an indicator of usergroup.

Red does jump out at you, I was thinking black or blue would be more pleasing to the eye but it's not really a big deal to me. The only thing with black is it would need to be in bold to make it stand out a little more than the rest of the info. You could probably get rid of the bold with red or blue.

Upvote 0
I love the OP tag and don't want to see it go away but you might want to consider how you will handle merged threads? It is often difficult to follow the flow in long ones anyway, and having two OP's would make it more confusing. I would guess the OP tag will stick with the OP the thread the other one is merged into?

This is correct.

As for color - I think I agree. We'll try blue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones