• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help enable wifi hotspot?

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
Greetings,

I have a new Nexus 6P and need the wifi hotspot enabled on it. I configured it, but it won't enable. I'm using the same net10.com mvno (mobile virtual network operator) that uses at&t. The hotspots have worked on the previous Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 right up through yesterday, when I activated the new nano-sim with the same mvno.

What setting needs to be changed on the Nexus 6P to enable the configured wifi hotspot, please?

[EDIT]
Well, it looks they outsmarted us. Even though I entered the APN info from the previous phone that was working yesterday, the sim for the new phone still won't enable a configured wifi hotspot. I had to purchase one of net10's mobile hotspots with a monthly data plan. $50 for the device and $10/month for 500MB data, which is really all I need based on previous usage for a dvmega RPi radio hotspot. I suppose I can afford that, but humans tend to abhor change. Thanks for your considerations, all.
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Sorry you had to pay an extra contract to make this work. At that price, you're paying $170 to get 500MB of mobile hot spot for the year.

You may want to see if another carrier/plan will give you the same without an extra fee.

I wondered if maybe the Android version had something to do with it, since the wifi hotspot worked on the Nexus 5 6.01 hammerhead-m4b30z the same day before I activated the new nano sim for the 6P. So I flashed 6.01 angler-mtc20l instead of the working 7.1.2 angler-n2g47h on the 6P and it's taking forever to boot, it seems.

Is that normal for an OS downgrade?

[EDIT]
Well, now I've mucked it. After more than 15 minutes I was still getting a recognized "adb devices", so I booted into the bootloader and reflashed the 7.1.2 angler-n2g47h which then rebooted promptly, except the signal strength meter has a little "x" by it. When I tap it and turn "cellular data" on, it still has the "x" but the settings are no longer available, even if I again turn cellular data off.

A reboot is required to see the settings again, but the little "x" is still there ... Help! please?

"Developer options are not available for this user" even though previously they had been enabled before the downgrade/upgrade cycle.
[/EDIT]

[solved]
A factory reset solved the issues, thank you. Now I wish I knew what caused the problem, as it seems that flashing an older Android version shouldn't be an issue.
[/solved]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones