1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

encrypted bootloader :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rsarno, Jan 1, 2012.

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    just passing the word. It is reported on XDA that Asus has encrypted their bootloader with 128 bit AES encryption

"Wordlywisewiz" on XDA has requested that we all hit twitter and bug Asus. Here is his exact message:

Advertisement

andygu3 likes this.
  2. Dagr

Dagr Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 27, 2011
    Thanks for the re-post... hitting up twitter now. Here's hoping Asus will be listening. Pretty sad to see... I'm trying here, but I really don't see the benefit to them by locking it down. :(

3. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    I know this is a downer but I'm going to hold out on tweeting til the Prime gets ICS. There may be more going on behind the scenes that won't allow ASUS to update to ICS. If HTC allows a bootloader key, my guess is ASUS will do the same, it's in their best interests, imo

4. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Westchester, NY
    From Asus:

ASUS - Wall | Facebook

From ASUS:

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Thank you for all the understanding and support for the ASUS Transformer Prime. Happy New Year!