• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

encrypted bootloader :(

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
just passing the word. It is reported on XDA that Asus has encrypted their bootloader with 128 bit AES encryption

"Wordlywisewiz" on XDA has requested that we all hit twitter and bug Asus. Here is his exact message:

Okay so Asus had encrypted their bootloader like HTC did awhile back....

After weeks of demanding they allowed us to do what we want with the devices we purchased they caved!

We need to do the same to Asus but the power lies in YOU !

we need you to tweet

@Asus @Nvidia @Google unlock our boot loader give us root! #transformerprime

We need you to do this like every10 minutes if you really want full control over Your device you purchased

You can also call support and yell at them!

Tweet away make your own versions also but help please make a second or third twitter account if you feel up too it!

Remember to include those tags (tell me if I got them wrong I don't have a twitter yet making one after IM done writing this)

@Asus @Nvidia @Google Unlock OUR boot loader! Give us ROOT NOW! #TransformerPrime

Reactions: andygu3
From Asus:

ASUS - Wall | Facebook

From ASUS:

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers' requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Thank you for all the understanding and support for the ASUS Transformer Prime. Happy New Year!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones