1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Encrypted Device Wipe Preference

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by MattK21, May 24, 2016.

1. MattK21

MattK21 Guest
    None
    I have multiple Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.1.1)and S7 (6.0.1devices. They are encrypted using full disk encryption. My question is how to reduce the amount of failed attempts ( at the initial device unlock screen ) before the device wipes?

I have tested at both the device unlock screen and the screen lock. At the device unlock screen you are able to put in the wrong password 30 times before the device wipes. After the first 10 you are prompted to restart and try again, after the second 10 attempts it prompts for a restart again, for the final 10 it gives a count down to device wipe. Then finally wipes after the 30th failed attempt. At the lock screen I am able to enforce it down to 5 failed attempts before it wipes. This was done using an MDM.

I am trying to make it so if the phone falls into the wrong persons hands the device will most likely be wiped before they figure out what the password is.

Pictures are attached to help understand my poor word choices.

Thanks

[​IMG]
    device unlock

[​IMG]
    lock screen

Advertisement

electricpete and Sumatrah like this.
  2. boxerluvr

boxerluvr Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2016
    You could always try the lookout app. It allows you to remote wipe from a computer. I have it on all my devices

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Each device is a little different. Maybe someone with knowledge of a Samsung will come along.

For Nexus there is no automatic wipe, just longer and longer wait periods.

I'd wager you could do it (set up an auto wipe at any number of attempts) with Root and Tasker but not positive. I think there may be playstore apps to do the same also. Personally I don't think it's worthwhile...

30 chances at guessing a 4 digit PIN is only a 30/10,000 = 3/1000 = (0.3 percent) chance of getting in. That assumes the pattern is somewhat random, and not guessable like 1234 or your phone number or wife's birthday... cat's birthday might be ok! You could make it 0.03% if you make it a 5 digit PIN or even lower with more digits. Personally I have an 8 digit PIN and it's not inconvenient because I rarely have to enter it due to smartwatch/smartlock... maybe you have similar situation with fingerprint sensor on your S7 .

By the way, since you seem to be interested in protecting your data. ... When you set your pin there are two options.: One is early on boot and the other is not (but that other options still asks for PIN during boot, only later). You can't see which option you have selected in the settings screen, but the option but it is presented every time you set your PIN (even if you set it to the same thing you already have). If you don't have the immediate on boot option checked, the settings lead you to believe your missing the "enhanced" security or something like that (without telling you what they mean by enhanced). In reality your encryption may be worthless if you don't select the immediate on boot option. At least that's the case for my rooted Nexus 6 with custom recovery. I can dig up some links if you're interested.

#3 electricpete, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016