1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Encrypted file??

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by natalienorris978, Feb 24, 2020.

1. natalienorris978

As I try learning all about things on my android phone I was looking through my files
    I found...(1st screenshot).. In it was this(2nd screenshot
    Actually what was there was a picture of a website that I had visited without any problems. Only found out that it wasn't secure now two days later. I went to chrome and tried opening it in incognito but couldn't. How did this file get in my internal storage. I didn't put it there.

Attached Files:

2. natalienorris978

As soon as I deleted the file I got a notification..Google play service is having trouble with Google play...

3. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Let's Encrypt being a very popular web certificate authority you probably encounter their browser certs multiple times a day on any number of web sites. It would be odd if you don't.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let's_Encrypt

beard0803 and Dannydet like this.
  4. beard0803

beard0803 Lurker

But why was it saved in devices file of it had not seen it before

5. natalienorris978

Exactly what I want to know. How was it saved?

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

By some app on your phone.

That's really all I can say: one of the many apps on your phone (either one you installed yourself or one that came with it) saved this. It's not an app I have (or use) on my phone because I don't have an "ams_vault" folder, and neither Duck nor Google have come up with the anything useful, so that's all I can say. For all I know it might be Chrome itself (since I disable Chrome it wouldn't show on my phone), but it could be anything. But it's highly unlikely to be malware, if that's what you are worrying about, just something where you don't know all of the details of what it does (and nobody knows everything that every app on these devices does).

natalienorris978 and Dannydet like this.
  7. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Every web browser relies upon those certificate files, there are going to be dozens of them already on your device. Web site.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority
    Simply because you inadvertently detected one of them isn't an issue to worry about -- there a literally hundreds of thousands of similar, otherwise hidden, system files on your mobile device that are necessary for your mobile device to function.

natalienorris978, Hadron and Dannydet like this.
  8. natalienorris978

Thanks so much for all insight on this question. Its greatly appreciated