1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Encrypted S5 Sport Not Accepting My Boot Password

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by MrKram, Jun 22, 2016.

1. MrKram

MrKram Guest
    None
    Hi Android Forums,

I have a Android S5 Sport from Sprint with the latest Marshmallow version and the data encrypted. It's been working perfectly until I restarted it this afternoon. On the boot screen where I enter my password to decrypt the phone and enter the OS, I put it in and it says incorrect password. I've tried entering it many times and also a capitalization variation, but no luck. I estimate I've had 15 password attempts so far.

I've been using the same encryption password forever, even back when my phone was encrypted with Lollipop. I haven't changed any system settings recently and am not sure if something changed with my phone or it's my user error.

Is there a chance the encryption password was corrupted or changed somehow? I'd love to have my password work so I don't lose my recent photos I haven't backed up with a phone wipe. Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you're referring to the password you use to unlock your phone, you could go to Android Device Manager and choose the lock & reset password option. Mind you, you have to have an active data connection on your phone for this to work.

3. MrKram

MrKram Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Hmm, I tried using Android Device Manager and reseting the password. Since Location is currently turned off, Android Device Manager can't update my password.

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Do you also have data/WiFi off? That might be why the old password is failing as it can't be verified.

5. MrKram

MrKram Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2016
    Mobile data and WiFi should still be active. I keep WiFi constantly on.

6. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    On the off chance something funky happened during startup, have you rebooted the phone since? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is to keep entering your password until it locks you out (20 tries maybe?) and then you need to unlock with your Google account credentials.