• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Encryption unsuccessful!!??

DsyMnapTic

Android Expert
Apr 29, 2011
The rocky mountains
Hey guys, I have a real problem. My phone just froze up and as soon as I battery pulled and tried to reboot. I get a long message about Encryption unsuccessful and it wants me to factory reset my phone, however I'm custom Romed out and rooted of course, so it won't even let me factory reset. Also it seems that my recovery is no longer allowing me to do anything, flash anything, wipe anything. So I can't get into my phone AT ALL, except for that Encryption Unsuccessful screen. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that new data policy, you guys are talking about, as it mentioned it in the message. I'm just confused, I only ever use Wi-Fi and my phone is always in airplane mode, I don't even use VM data, yet now my phone is screwed. Anyone else experience this? Is this VMs way of keeping non activated users from being able to use their phones at all?

Reactions: leds2007
Hey guys, I have a real problem. My phone just froze up and as soon as I battery pulled and tried to reboot. I get a long message about Encryption unsuccessful and it wants me to factory reset my phone, however I'm custom Romed out and rooted of course, so it won't even let me factory reset. Also it seems that my recovery is no longer allowing me to do anything, flash anything, wipe anything. So I can't get into my phone AT ALL, except for that Encryption Unsuccessful screen. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that new data policy, you guys are talking about, as it mentioned it in the message. I'm just confused, I only ever use Wi-Fi and my phone is always in airplane mode, I don't even use VM data, yet now my phone is screwed. Anyone else experience this? Is this VMs way of keeping non activated users from being able to use their phones at all?

This means the device cannot read the internal storage, try a full data wipe and manually format system, data and cache's, then reflash rom of ur choice, make sure its on ur sd card b4 formatting so u can access it from recovery:)

Upvote 0
Yeah it's extremely weird. I do believe the recovery is definitely corrupted now. It won't wipe dalvik, or mount data, or format system... Matter of fact it won't do diddly squat, or even flash a new recovery.... Gaahhh!

I Got hacked didn't I? .......Alright which one of you masterminds sabotaged my device?!

Lolz...

Use rashr and flash an image from SD via the app.

Upvote 0
Oooohhhh Yeeaaahhh.....
......forgot about that:rolleyes:

Nooo...Noo.... No... No.. No
Nice try dude, how am I gonna use an app if I can't even boot anything past that damn encryption screen?

...So apparently and extremely conveniently, (and simultaneously) both my recovery is corrupt and my phone isn't encrypting things correctly in order to be able to read them, to even be able to boot anything properly. Poppycock!!

Upvote 0
Oooohhhh Yeeaaahhh.....

Nice try dude, how am I gonna use an app if I can't even boot anything past that damn encryption screen?

...So apparently and extremely conveniently, (and simultaneously) both my recovery is corrupt and my phone isn't encrypting things correctly in order to be able to read them, to even be able to boot anything properly. Poppycock!!

Hook the phone up to the computer when you hit the encryption screen. Is ADB working? If so, reboot to bootloader and boot a recovery from there.

Upvote 0
Hook the phone up to the computer when you hit the encryption screen. Is ADB working? If so, reboot to bootloader and boot a recovery from there.

I'll have to wait, as I don't have access to a computer at the moment.

I'm downloading the stock update.zip right now to see if applying it in recovery will work. It seems certain things are working in recovery, like flashing a boot.img, it goes through and doesn't come back with errors. Also when flashing either philz or CWM recovery over my current one, it will run it through with no errors, but when I reboot recovery I'm still stuck with the same one. The recovery also seems to be formatting regularly (no errors) but when I reboot the device and get back to the encryption screen, I can still bring up the reboot menu, with reboot to bootloader, recovery and screen shot and all that.

[Edit]
Never mind, I've tried everything and I can't do the update zip through anything but the stock recovery, because of the getprop crap. I've got a hard brick until I can get to a computer.

Upvote 0
Oooohhhh Yeeaaahhh.....

Do you have pc access? Is it still seen as an adb device? If so maybe try the side load method britnearl has posted?

Reactions: DsyMnapTic
Upvote 0
I'll have to wait, as I don't have access to a computer at the moment.

I'm downloading the stock update.zip right now to see if applying it in recovery will work. It seems certain things are working in recovery, like flashing a boot.img, it goes through and doesn't come back with errors. Also when flashing either philz or CWM recovery over my current one, it will run it through with no errors, but when I reboot recovery I'm still stuck with the same one. The recovery also seems to be formatting regularly (no errors) but when I reboot the device and get back to the encryption screen, I can still bring up the reboot menu, with reboot to bootloader, recovery and screen shot and all that.

[Edit]
Never mind, I've tried everything and I can't do the update zip through anything but the stock recovery, because of the getprop crap. I've got a hard brick until I can get to a computer.

U may need to reboot into fastboot mode by holding volume up while powering on, then fastboot into cwm

Upvote 0
Greetings to all! there was a similar problem with "Encryption unsuccessful". Resetting to factory defaults does not pass, an error. What to do? Maybe it knows something Russian? My English is very poor. Thank you!
Not understanding can u tell us what u are trying to do and the exact error get a pic of the error and post it to

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones