1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Encryption unsuccessful!!??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DsyMnapTic, May 31, 2014.

1. DsyMnapTic

DsyMnapTic Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Hey guys, I have a real problem. My phone just froze up and as soon as I battery pulled and tried to reboot. I get a long message about Encryption unsuccessful and it wants me to factory reset my phone, however I'm custom Romed out and rooted of course, so it won't even let me factory reset. Also it seems that my recovery is no longer allowing me to do anything, flash anything, wipe anything. So I can't get into my phone AT ALL, except for that Encryption Unsuccessful screen. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with that new data policy, you guys are talking about, as it mentioned it in the message. I'm just confused, I only ever use Wi-Fi and my phone is always in airplane mode, I don't even use VM data, yet now my phone is screwed. Anyone else experience this? Is this VMs way of keeping non activated users from being able to use their phones at all?

Advertisement

leds2007 likes this.
  2. edodson84

edodson84 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    Master Powersports Technician
    Bellwood, pa
    This means the device cannot read the internal storage, try a full data wipe and manually format system, data and cache's, then reflash rom of ur choice, make sure its on ur sd card b4 formatting so u can access it from recovery:)

3. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Wouldn't work

4. phenomx4

phenomx4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Male
    None
    North Las Vegas , Nevada
    Maybe it'll work with stock recovery and then after that flash back to CWM.

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  5. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    I'll give it a try

6. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    So yeah, it's not letting me do shit. The message I get in recovery when trying to flash anything is
    set_perm: some changes failed
    (status 7)
    Installation aborted......

7. dragonhart6505

dragonhart6505 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Your recovery got corrupted somehow? Try loading the .img from adb with the guide in AWEsome

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  8. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Yeah it's extremely weird. I do believe the recovery is definitely corrupted now. It won't wipe dalvik, or mount data, or format system... Matter of fact it won't do diddly squat, or even flash a new recovery.... Gaahhh!

I Got hacked didn't I? .......Alright which one of you masterminds sabotaged my device?!

starkraving likes this.
  9. starkraving

starkraving Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Male
    Contractor
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Lolz...

Use rashr and flash an image from SD via the app.

10. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Oooohhhh Yeeaaahhh.....
    ......forgot about that:rolleyes:

Nooo...Noo.... No... No.. No
    Nice try dude, how am I gonna use an app if I can't even boot anything past that damn encryption screen?

...So apparently and extremely conveniently, (and simultaneously) both my recovery is corrupt and my phone isn't encrypting things correctly in order to be able to read them, to even be able to boot anything properly. Poppycock!!

11. spock1104

spock1104 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Hook the phone up to the computer when you hit the encryption screen. Is ADB working? If so, reboot to bootloader and boot a recovery from there.

12. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    I'll have to wait, as I don't have access to a computer at the moment.

I'm downloading the stock update.zip right now to see if applying it in recovery will work. It seems certain things are working in recovery, like flashing a boot.img, it goes through and doesn't come back with errors. Also when flashing either philz or CWM recovery over my current one, it will run it through with no errors, but when I reboot recovery I'm still stuck with the same one. The recovery also seems to be formatting regularly (no errors) but when I reboot the device and get back to the encryption screen, I can still bring up the reboot menu, with reboot to bootloader, recovery and screen shot and all that.

[Edit]
    Never mind, I've tried everything and I can't do the update zip through anything but the stock recovery, because of the getprop crap. I've got a hard brick until I can get to a computer.

13. starkraving

starkraving Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Male
    Contractor
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Do you have pc access? Is it still seen as an adb device? If so maybe try the side load method britnearl has posted?

DsyMnapTic likes this.
  14. edodson84

edodson84 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Male
    Master Powersports Technician
    Bellwood, pa
    U may need to reboot into fastboot mode by holding volume up while powering on, then fastboot into cwm

15. dragonhart6505

Feb 4, 2012
    +1 this

16. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Is this done on the computer? Never heard of fast booting into CWM

17. dragonhart6505

Feb 4, 2012
  18. DsyMnapTic

Apr 29, 2011
    The rocky mountains
    Thank you all for all the suggestions and help. I will have to get back with my results, when I am able to use a computer. :)

19. masterfaster

masterfaster New Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Male
    hey i have the same problem and i plugged my phone in my laptop and it wont come up anywhere for me to access my phone so how do i check if ABD is working?

20. leds2007

leds2007 New Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Nikolaev
    Ukraine
    Greetings to all! there was a similar problem with "Encryption unsuccessful". Resetting to factory defaults does not pass, an error. What to do? Maybe it knows something Russian? My English is very poor. Thank you!

21. roadkill42

roadkill42 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Male
    kinda jack of trades
    jonesbough tn
    Not understanding can u tell us what u are trying to do and the exact error get a pic of the error and post it to

22. niche9111

niche9111 Member

Feb 15, 2014
    i had two of these do this about three weeks ago. short of partitioning an sd card to run the phone off of there is no fix. the internal memory is corrupted. As i it never existed. both phones did it while in the facebook app so im wondering if it is connected somehow.

23. roadkill42

Jan 22, 2013
    Male
    kinda jack of trades
    jonesbough tn
    Have u tried to format data and system while in recovery ? I had simuliar problem I just kept formatting every thing in recovery mode then rebooted back into recovery each time then was able to flash a ROM with know problems

24. ahmedsalahh

ahmedsalahh New Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Male
    anyone solved this problem

25. roadkill42

Jan 22, 2013
    Male
    kinda jack of trades
    jonesbough tn
    What problem u have?

26. Alcidious25

Alcidious25 New Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Male
    Sorry for the much delayed response. Yes, ny phone has been working since the post. It has some bugs b/c of the encrypted /dev/block I mentioned (haven't had time BC of work to fix).

The solution is exactly what roadkill42 mentioned, except there's two more steps (for me). First, wipe all data, then wipe the cache. I don't remember if I did factory reset, though. Second, now you need to reformat /data, then /cache, and then /system.

As I said, it still wouldn't get past the splash screen. So on my final attempt, I noted the command line output... /data was not being mounted due to the failed encryption. Thus, my third and final step, was to reformat both /data and /data/media (/sdcard).

Then I reinstalled my ROM, and it works (with some bugs) ... But I intend on removing that lingering encrypted /dev/block, and I suspect that will restore my phone to full working order.

I hope that helps (if not too late)! I am getting more technical understanding, but I don't fully comprehend all the filesystem stuff and how failed encryption affects it.

Tags: