1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

encryption - who's using it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Perch_44, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Perch_44

Perch_44 Newbie

is anyone using the built in encryption?

and does anyone know what kind of encryption this uses? i can't find anything concrete online. is it AES 256 bit?

also, does anyone know if it is true FDE or just encrypting data we add?

if you are using it, any performance issues?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Perch_44

Perch_44 Newbie

nobody is using this or has any info on it?

3. kylejack

kylejack Lurker

I'm curious and have some questions as well. I'm on Sprint and Samsung Epic Touch users like me just got Android 4.0.4. I'm definitely interested in using the encryption.

One thing I wonder is how long decryption takes, after I enter my password. Second, I'm wondering if there are any law enforcement back doors built in to this.

4. Rolo42

Rolo42 Android Enthusiast

AES-256, the ARMv7 processor has instructions for it, like desktop CPUs.

I'll probably encrypt ours (wife's too), barring any show-stoppers, in case of loss. Our tablet and laptop are encrypted (TrueCrypt).

5. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

No, its always encrypted even when putting your password in. That just allows you to read the encrypted stuff.

That would take seconds.

Decrypting the device would take a while I suspect.

6. Rolo42

Correct. It decrypts on-the-fly, only in RAM (otherwise it wouldn't be secure).

7. ligu

ligu Lurker

If you just want to protect some files, maybe can try out boxcryptor on Play store. I found it a lot less intimidating to deal with.

8. Rolo42

Files I'm not worried about as much as login credentials/access to accounts.

9. HenrietteK

HenrietteK Lurker

I'm thinking about encrypting my S3 as well, since this is a requirement from my workplace if I want to access my corporate email and calendar. Anyone has experience doing this?

/Henriette

10. cquester

cquester Lurker

I use Truecrypt on PC. Read that TC container can be uploaded to Dropbox then opened by app EDS Lite. In comments section of EDS Lite user said works great. But, no explanation and I can't figure out. Anybody using Truecrypt container with Android?

11. dreamerman

dreamerman Lurker

I am using EDS Lite with TrueCrypt. I have a 100mb container created on my PC using TrueCrypt. Encryption settings are algorithm: AES 256, hash algorithm: SHA-512 and file system: FAT 4kb cluster. Then I copied the container *.tc into my phone (FAT32 partition). EDS Lite can access the *.tc container without any issues. Best part is:

TrueCrypt = FREE
    EDS Lite = FREE

javamann likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews