• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Endless reboot loop - overheating?

waterbourn

May 6, 2010
I have seen some others having this problem, but they talk about it being a glitch associated with tower switching? But I think my endless reboot loop is due to heat. I did not have this problem until 2.2. I can just be surfing the web or running any simple app and the phone gets really hot and bam. reboot...reboot..reboot. Have to pull the battery to stop it.

After reading a few other threads, I did the factory reset nd even completely cleaned my external card. I installed all my apps again. Then I used the web browser for about 5 minutes and ..... reboot loop.

Anyone else having this problem? I guess I am just going to have to go to verizon and get a refurb, but then I might also get an SLCD huh? Am I really going to tell the difference between those two screens? Will verizon only replace my phone with another incredible? I am just sick of this reboot thing and don't know what else to do.

well there's your first troubleshooting error. you were on the right track by the factory reset. but don't install any apps!! see if the problem still happens without any third party app(didn't come with phone) if this doesn't work, call *611, tell them you took these actions and you'll be sent a refurb in two days. Peace and love.

You probably wouldn't get LCD if you get the refurb soon, they will ship out the amoled first then start with the LCD once that supply is gone. So the better you do it the better chance you have. BTW I've had the Incredible for two months, and have gone through two brand new phone,s and just got a refurb two days ago, and the refurb is the best of all three.....

The only way to get them to change phones instead of giving a refurb Incredible is going through three refurbs and even then it's tough. I was lucky one. I got the Incredible for free from the Eris problems I had for signing two year contract. Worked for me..

I have a lot of experience with *611 CS. I've gotten three Eris refurbs, and I've gotten one brand new Incredible replacement and one refurb already. They take care of you just be honest and polite.

Upvote 0
oh man, I was hoping a factory reset can cure this... I have the insurance, they better give me a new phone. Mine was fine until the day it updated to 2.2 I have the exact same symptoms... browsing zillow gets it every time. I even use ATK to try and shut off BS background stuff... I'll let you know if mine fixes after the reset... I have to do that before hoofing to the Verizon Store.

Upvote 0
Let me tell you right now, a hard reset will NOT fix this. It is most definitely a hardware issue. I have troubleshooted it for hours on end. I rooted and underclocked my phone. I used it without the back. Even these didn't prevent the overheating from happening, but they did keep it from occurring so often.

Also, it isn't an issue with 2.2. Mine did this starting 3-4 days before I received the 2.2 update.

Unfortunately, I can't get a refurbished or new one until the next time I get to Best Buy (which is a few weeks away, I don't have a car). I'd be glad to test any suggestions someone might have on how to fix it until then.

Upvote 0
Let me tell you right now, a hard reset will NOT fix this. It is most definitely a hardware issue. I have troubleshooted it for hours on end. I rooted and underclocked my phone. I used it without the back. Even these didn't prevent the overheating from happening, but they did keep it from occurring so often.

Also, it isn't an issue with 2.2. Mine did this starting 3-4 days before I received the 2.2 update.

Unfortunately, I can't get a refurbished or new one until the next time I get to Best Buy (which is a few weeks away, I don't have a car). I'd be glad to test any suggestions someone might have on how to fix it until then.

Weird mine did the exact same thing just a bit before the 2.2 update. What batteries were you all using?

Upvote 0
I have had the exact same problem. I got my phone in July, and it was working fine. A few days before Froyo, it crashed a couple of times, but I wrote it off as an abberation. Since the update, it crashes after 5 minutes of web browsing, or running any app that uses heavy computing power. I also think it's a heat issue, but I have no proof.

I called customer service, and they had me do a factory reset (I had already tried this once to no avail). They also told me to install ATK. Nothing worked. Yesterday I went to the Verizon store to complain, and they are sending me a new phone (they said new, I hope it's not a refurb, but we'll see).

For those of you who have gotten a new phone - did that fix the problem? Are there just some bad phones out there, or are they all like this?

Upvote 0
did the factory restore, wiped my SD card loaded a heavy browser program "Zillow" before I loaded any other apps except ATK, Browsed Zillow for a while... crash...

Taking it to the V store today... gotta find one with one in Stock. I have the insurance, so if they try to give me a referb, I'll go out and throw it in the ocean and bring it to a different store...

I really like Verizon... they better take care of me... 12 yr customer.

Upvote 0
Ever since I unrooted and went back to stock, I haven't had the problem. I haven't installed any market apps. What are some stock apps that really heat this phone up? I tried turning on Bluetooth, GPS, 3G, WiFi, running Google Maps with Navigation, surfing the web browser, being on Skype Mobile, playing a YouTube video, and surfing the Market (all at once, as best I could). It got somewhat warm, but evidently not hot enough.

For comparison, all I had to do before was surf the web and text at the same time for it to overheat.

I'll continue testing and keep updating this thread.

Upvote 0
In case anyone was wondering:
I have now been running stock everything for 2 days, being as minimalist as I could. Basically all I did with my phone was browse the web, check email, and text. Phone calls were kept to under 2 minutes. I have not installed any apps from the market, and I didn't actively try to overheat the phone. I think you would all agree this is very reasonable usage that any smartphone should be able to handle easily.
It still overheats!
Now, I'm sold that the overheating is causing the phone to restart and then boot loop.
My new question is this: Considering how little I used the phone, what makes it get hot enough to overheat? I used 4 apps total all day today (Messaging, Mail, Browser, Calendar). It looped 6 times in the last 8 hours.

Upvote 0
I have had the exact same problem. I got my phone in July, and it was working fine. A few days before Froyo, it crashed a couple of times, but I wrote it off as an abberation. Since the update, it crashes after 5 minutes of web browsing, or running any app that uses heavy computing power. I also think it's a heat issue, but I have no proof.

I called customer service, and they had me do a factory reset (I had already tried this once to no avail). They also told me to install ATK. Nothing worked. Yesterday I went to the Verizon store to complain, and they are sending me a new phone (they said new, I hope it's not a refurb, but we'll see).

For those of you who have gotten a new phone - did that fix the problem? Are there just some bad phones out there, or are they all like this?

I've had a replacement phone for 10 days now and not one reboot loop. Definitely was a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
just got my replacement... gonna put it through the riggors and see if it breaks. good luck replacing the "rooted" phone... they told me that's the first thing they chk and if they find it has been rooted, they'll send you a bill for the "full" price ($569?). Might want to drop it from the top of a building by accident and see how insurance works.

BTW, what good is this phone if you can not use everything... glad to see it wasn't the apps causing the problem. However, I had appbrain loaded and I think it goofed the phone. Plus I couldn't get on the stupid website so I had to write all my apps down on a piece of paper and load them off of the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones