• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget has iPhone 4 to last 38 hrs on single charge: 1420mAH battery

The A4 is reportedly a very efficient processor. That mixed with the fact that iPhone 4 does a very limited version of multitasking have made for some impressive battery life. That being said, I wouldn't buy any iPhone after experiencing the "freedom" of Android. Just gonna have to get a nice extended battery and enjoy not being interrupted by every message I get.

Upvote 0
I'm sure when you jailbreak and iphone and bring the experience a lot closer to that of android you won't see that kind of battery life.
As someone who jailbroke his iPhone three times before switching to Android, I can assure you it's completely different. Even jailbroken, the iPhone is very limited -- no widgets, no native Google Voice, no notification shade, etc.

Upvote 0
I was over looking at some of the posts on the apple forums and there were many reports of horrible battery life on the iphone 4 along with a few people having good battery life. I think that battery life on any smartphone can vary very widely depending on many variables.

It was the same with the Evo, Engadget reported great battery life and then others reported that they had bad battery life. Some have good life on the Evo and some have bad. (I personally think that the culprit is Sense UI plus the Sense widgets like friend stream that kill the battery fast).

Upvote 0
I have both iPhone 4 and Droid Incredible.

First charge on the iPhone lasted 32-34 hours of heavy use. New phone- synching 9gb of music, recorded 30 minutes of HD video, 4 hours music playback, 15-30 minute GPS, downloading various apps, 30 photos ,browsing sites here and there in a period of two work days. My initial use is more than abnormal; new phone -testing all the features out,etc..

Second charge about 13 hours. Lots of 720p video playback and more apps downloaded. I also had email fully set-up with about 200 emails going thru so the battery life went way down from my initial use. I also used the GPS for a solid 40 minutes on my second charge.

I should note, on the iPhone, I always had the wifi, gps and bluetooth enabled on the iPhone. I never had to kill any tasks, disable widgets/notifications,etc. I just think the OS is better optimized for power-management.

How do I know? Well, I connect my HTC Incredible into the SDK developer kit and run a debugger to figure out why my battery life is so poor, I see a lot of spawned processes in the Android debug cat-log; the wifi is always searching for base station and bluetooth is always looking to connect. I get apps I never started just launch. Task Killer only helps so much but there are a gazillion hidden file processes that start by themselves. E.G. VLC remote, City ID (I need to uninstall that crap. There are lots of apps that simply don't shut-down)

I get a total of 4 hours from my Incredible @ medium brightness. All widgets except Facebook is turned-off. Again, I download lots of email. I disable wifi and gps. I have bluetooth on for a total of 30 minutes everyday during my commute. My battery last from 7 to 11 AM. I recharge and get it back up by noon and it last me till 9pm (very little work email) and I charge it before I go to sleep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones