• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget: Iphone 4 verizon review: Worst review I have ever read

MarcMaiden

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2010
Bay Area, ca
Ok first off,

Im not an apple hater, im not an android biased person. I am a phone whore, and I love all technology.

but this review made me sick especially because of the quotes like:

"The best smartphone in america just got better"

and under the pros on the score card "Its an Iphone 4"

check it out: Verizon iPhone review -- Engadget

tell me that isnt one of the most biased reviews engadget has written

what do you guys think?

Ok first off,

Im not an apple hater, im not an android biased person. I am a phone whore, and I love all technology.

but this review made me sick especially because of the quotes like:

"The best smartphone in america just got better"

and under the pros on the score card "Its an Iphone 4"

check it out: Verizon iPhone review -- Engadget

tell me that isnt one of the most biased reviews engadget has written

what do you guys think?

Lol that's engadget for you.

Upvote 0
Do you really think a bad review will keep people that likes apple products from getting the V iphone? Its like the big 3 American auto companies. They put out how many decades of bad quality automobiles and most Americans still bought them because of brand loyalty. Took just not long ago for many people to realize how stupid that was.

I am not saying apple makes a bad product or even hate them. Just that they have grown to almost a cult following of they must have anything that's apple and a good or bad review wont change their minds.

Upvote 0
You would think after Antenna-Gate that would have been taken into consideration in the scoring, even tho its mentioned in the review. Engadget kinda got a pass before cuz the review came out before Antenna-Gate.

Some iFan *(when I call someone an iFan, they are fanatics, fanboys. I know all iPhone, Apple users are not fanatics) on Engadget claimed only the iPhone could do simultaneous voice and data on AT&T...

See, its when ppl are obviously blinded by hate and fanboyism that I love the fact I can just go to another website, go look at TV and totally dismiss the person.

Upvote 0
Engadget did another review on the exact same phone but simply for a different network... WTF

This is incredibly pitiful. There's absolutely no need to do another review on the same phone. It's just for page views because Engadget knows that people will flock to see it.

I think that "It's the iPhone 4" in the pros column is a CLEAR indication of bias.

Upvote 0
I have have an app that is Engaget for Android. So I'd say that's where they staff all the people who dig Android devices. Leaving everyone else at Engaget, to their iPhones.

But seriously, personally I could care less what review(er)s say about the iPhone, or Android phones or Windows phones, etc... Android is doing just fine even without all the accolades that some of the other phones out there might get. That tells me that the buying public knows how to cut through the bullshit and make their own decision.

So let Engaget praise Apple all they wish.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
Engadget did another review on the exact same phone but simply for a different network... WTF

This is incredibly pitiful. There's absolutely no need to do another review on the same phone. It's just for page views because Engadget knows that people will flock to see it.

I think that "It's the iPhone 4" in the pros column is a CLEAR indication of bias.

Why shouldn't they? The iPhone is a popular phone and people will be wanting to hear about its performance on Verizon. And last I checked, the article got 1588 comments, which is probably more than a couple of 1st run Android review articles combined. Remember, these websites depend on hits, and the iPhone sells. Don't like it, don't visit. Start your own blog.

Upvote 0
Why shouldn't they? The iPhone is a popular phone and people will be wanting to hear about its performance on Verizon. And last I checked, the article got 1588 comments,

I didn't even know that Engadget had comments, are they on Facebook or something? I see 'Twitter' and 'Facebook' buttons, but I don't use those sites.

Upvote 0
If you want to really get a perspective of bias, compare the iPhone 4 reviews (both of them to each other) to the Google Nexus S.

For the two iPhones. With AT&T you had a very unreliable network with lots of dropped calls. You're trading off that for lack of simultaneous voice/data, slower data speeds, and limited world capability. How in the world could that get a 9? I don't care how reliable Verizon's network is, that's a hell of huge tradeoff.

So lets look at the iPhone vs. Google Nexus S comparison. Nexus S gets hit on its front facing camera with no native app (weak considering that Google said they're getting Talk to do video soon), the screen had coloring issues (another weak point as that could simply be just one unit or Engadget isn't used to the deep saturation that is Super AMOLED), and that the UI is still counter-intuitive.

The last one I take offense with because how exactly is it counter intuitive? Because it's not a grid of icons? Because its not the iPhone?

Another thing mentioned in the article alluded to the fact that Engadget routinely kills apps manually rather than let Android do it on its own. This little nugget of info shows that they don't even know how Android works. Task killing should only be reserved for a badly coded program, not every single one in the OS.

While neither are 4G phones, one must consider the NFC chip which effectively future proofs the Nexus S. While Android doesn't quite yet have the polish that iOS does, all of the hardware and features of the Nexus S should make it at least equal to the iPhone on its score. The comments section is particularly brutal as well for all these reviews against Android. I honestly don't give their opinion much weight because of how biased they appear.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
If you want to really get a perspective of bias, compare the iPhone 4 reviews (both of them to each other) to the Google Nexus S.

For the two iPhones. With AT&T you had a very unreliable network with lots of dropped calls. You're trading off that for lack of simultaneous voice/data, slower data speeds, and limited world capability. How in the world could that get a 9? I don't care how reliable Verizon's network is, that's a hell of huge tradeoff.

On this one point, I completely agree. These blogs were way too generous for the iPhone's deficient cellular capabilities and should have been docked points.

So lets look at the iPhone vs. Google Nexus S comparison. Nexus S gets hit on its front facing camera with no native app (weak considering that Google said they're getting Talk to do video soon), the screen had coloring issues (another weak point as that could simply be just one unit or Engadget isn't used to the deep saturation that is Super AMOLED), and that the UI is still counter-intuitive.
The Nexus S should have come with a native app for the front camera. Without it, it just looks like an unfinished product. According to your logic, it might as well not come with any native apps including an app for the back camera or an app for the dialer. As for AMOLED, I'm sorry, but it is way too oversaturated. I've seen the screen on the Galaxy and S and in both situations, it looks very unnatural and jarring (whites look blue, etc). Sure, it looks good as a novelty but not on a phone that has to be used everyday. This is just my personal opinion.

Another thing mentioned in the article alluded to the fact that Engadget routinely kills apps manually rather than let Android do it on its own. This little nugget of info shows that they don't even know how Android works. Task killing should only be reserved for a badly coded program, not every single one in the OS.

While neither are 4G phones, one must consider the NFC chip which effectively future proofs the Nexus S. While Android doesn't quite yet have the polish that iOS does, all of the hardware and features of the Nexus S should make it at least equal to the iPhone on its score. The comments section is particularly brutal as well for all these reviews against Android. I honestly don't give their opinion much weight because of how biased they appear.
Regarding the task killer, he specifically says that it was not due to performance reasons. Yea it's probably a waste of time, but he's not making false accusations against the OS. The NFC chip, while certainly interesting, is kind of pointless without some kind of direction from Google. Similar to the Marketplace, Google is not recruiting developers or companies to adopt the NFC interface as a standard. They are simply leaving it in the wind and seeing where it goes and let's face it, that strategy has not worked out too well for the Android Marketplace which is still severely lacking in triple A titles.

And one thing for sure is that text selection and copy/paste is an abomination on Android. I can still remember when everyone was railing on Apple for not including copy/paste, but when they finally did implement it, it worked perfectly across the OS. With Android, it is a complete disaster (I'm a Droid X user and have been using the phone since launch). I find it hard to understand how Google has still not fixed this very glaring flaw.

Upvote 0
Well icyfire, obviously quoting your post would be excessive so I'll just drum up my counter argument.

I'm not sure how you made this large leap of logic that I think Google shouldn't have any apps for important functions of the phone. The front facing camera or the rear camera aren't integral to its overall function as a phone. Even if Google didn't have a native app there were still alternatives available to use on the market. The initial offerings haven't been stellar but they are improving. I'm not sure if you have this sense of self-entitlement that Google should have to put anything app related on their phones. Certainly the myTouch 4G has a front facing camera app by another company other than Google. Yes Google should have delayed the Nexus S for a couple of months for further bug testing and to have Google Talk ready for video chat rather than attempt to make some arbitrary release period. However, its still not a reason to be a minus point for the phone since third party apps did exist and have been updated for Gingerbread.

As far as NFC goes, other companies need to be onboard with it before it goes anywhere. For any day to day function out of NFC such as using your phone as a way to pay or as a ticket to enter a concert, the companies have to be willing to let Google work with it. There are legitimate security concerns for people and banks may not be ready for something like this yet. There are some NFC apps filtering into the market according to phandroid. There's a lot of talk from companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Google that NFC will be the next big thing in phones so whether it had function immediately wasn't the point, but that it WILL have function and that gives the consumer the option in the future.

You seem to see Android as iOS when its more like Windows. Sure Microsoft offers their own applications, but they also are more than willing to let other people have their programs on it. Unlike Apple, Google really doesn't care what programs are used whether it would be Google Talk for video chat or Fring. That's really the point of Android and it has worked out pretty well for Windows.

I also find your comment that AMOLED is a novelty to be a bit obtuse. AMOLED's advantages are deep blacks, power conservation, and excellent color. I hardly find this a novelty. While your choice of screens is your own, I don't find AMOLED anymore saturated than other screens and most out there produce similar effect like SLCD.

I think too many people are asking too much of the Nexus S. They wanted something to revolutionize the industry again and Google didn't actually need to. The Nexus S is a perfectly usable phone in all regards, but its primary purpose is a staging ground for Google's tech, developing those spiffy programs that use functions like NFC, and Android's future. When taken as a whole compared to the iPhone 4, I still can't see why the Nexus S wasn't equal or iPhone 4 was only an 8 instead of 9. Remember, Consumer Reports wouldn't even give the iPhone 4 a recommendation initially because of the antenna problems. While they may now, I would expect the reduction of some points due to Verizon's limitations on their network.

It just goes to show Engadget's bias and that Apple could sell turds and people would buy them. Not only would they buy them, they'd say Apple's turds are better than your own. Depressing really.

Upvote 0
I'll just shoot a few arguments back at you. Re: the front facing camera, you yourself say that the first few apps haven't been stellar. Well, that should be impetus enough for Google to create their own app on more timely schedule. I have no problem with 3rd parties creating apps for core features, but when 3rd parties don't come through, the 1st party should take some initiative. Honeycomb has its own native video conferencing interface so obviously Google felt it prudent to not leave it to 3rd parties in that situation.

Perhaps where we differ in viewpoints is that I feel Google should take a slightly more proactive approach towards the OS with regards to customer experience as opposed to letting 3rd parties completely define it. By doing so, Google will inspire confidence, not only in consumers, but also in developers who are interested in writing on stable platforms. Let's face it, Android's marketplace is sorely lacking in triple A apps and the reason for this is Google has not taken a proactive approach towards it. They are learning from their mistakes as it seems they have done quite a bit of developer recruiting for Honeycomb.

Re: Consumer Reports, they still gave the iPhone 4 the highest score despite the antenna issue. Kind of sad that a phone with a defective antenna still scored higher than every Android phone on the market. And Engadget wasn't involved.

Upvote 0
^CR gave it the highest score....but did they ever recommend it after testing the antenna?

I'm not even sure anymore..oh and check the recent ratings....its tied with a couple of Android phones now for best smart phone rating.

In this order from the top:

iPhone 4 16GB - 76 (The reason the 16 GB is rated over the 32GB seems to be price.)
iPhone 4 32GB - 76
MyTouch 4G - 76
Samsung Vibrant - 76
Samsung Captivate - 76
Droid X - 75
Samsung Fascinate - 75
T Mobile G2 - 75
Samsung Nexus S - 75
Epic 4G - 75
Droid 2 - 75

When I set the filter to only show recommend...the iPhone 4, 3GS isn't even in the top 7...that list:

MyTouch4G - 76
Samsung Vibrant - 76
Samsung Captivate - 76
Droid X - 75
Samsung Fascinate - 75
T Mobile G2 -75
Samsung Nesux S - 75
Epic 4G - 75
Droid 2 - 75
Apple 3GS 8GB - 75

Under recommended...the iPhone 3GS made it before the iPhone 4...The iPhone 4 didnt even make the list. There are some more Android phones, some WP7 phones...thats thanks to that lil antenna issue with the iPhone 4.

Even the ratings....76 vs 75....wow yea 1 whole point....
Some Blackberries and Palms are rated 68, 64. So if someone used CR to help them decide what to get they should be fine choosing Android or iPhone.

I subscribed to CR website after that whole Antenna Gate thing just for this...lol Folks....times move forward. What was one way last summer isnt gonna always stay the same..

Upvote 0
@jroc

Still, a phone with a defective antenna got a top score on CR. That shows that they loved the experience of the OS (by giving it such a high score despite the antenna issue). If the iPhone didn't have the antenna issue, it very well might have gotten rated in the 80s or 90s. I see a couple of phones on there that were released after the iPhone 4 and still got rated lower (Droid X, Nexus S, Epic 4G, Droid 2, etc etc). If at all, this list proves my point even more.

Upvote 0
All it proves is after some more phones came out and CR tested and rated them...a few Android phones are tied with the iPhone 4 for best rating.

There are 3 Android phones tied with the iPhone 4 for best rating. And like I pointed out...76 vs 75...Yea it killed the other phones in the ratings...

The rating was the same before they tested the iPhone 4 antenna, they never changed the overall rating. They just couldnt recommend it anymore after testing the antenna.

Upvote 0
I'll just shoot a few arguments back at you. Re: the front facing camera, you yourself say that the first few apps haven't been stellar. Well, that should be impetus enough for Google to create their own app on more timely schedule. I have no problem with 3rd parties creating apps for core features, but when 3rd parties don't come through, the 1st party should take some initiative. Honeycomb has its own native video conferencing interface so obviously Google felt it prudent to not leave it to 3rd parties in that situation.

Perhaps where we differ in viewpoints is that I feel Google should take a slightly more proactive approach towards the OS with regards to customer experience as opposed to letting 3rd parties completely define it. By doing so, Google will inspire confidence, not only in consumers, but also in developers who are interested in writing on stable platforms. Let's face it, Android's marketplace is sorely lacking in triple A apps and the reason for this is Google has not taken a proactive approach towards it. They are learning from their mistakes as it seems they have done quite a bit of developer recruiting for Honeycomb.

Re: Consumer Reports, they still gave the iPhone 4 the highest score despite the antenna issue. Kind of sad that a phone with a defective antenna still scored higher than every Android phone on the market. And Engadget wasn't involved.

Actually, I agree that Google should take a more proactive stance on things. They haven't exactly been very focused in attempting to curb fragmentation. However, they are working very hard on their programs, Android, and other things. My question would be to know exactly how many programmers do they actually have? Are they short-handed or have they simply taken on more than they can handle?

There will be a Google Talk update and the Nexus S will get the latest versions of Android so much like the Nexus One that got better as the updates rolled out, I think the same will be true for the Nexus S.

One question though, what do you think are triple A titles? I've been very happy with the games and apps that I routinely use. What are you hoping for?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones