• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Engadget Review - 1.5mbps ? Still interested?

danielkogan

Oct 25, 2009
Anyone bothered by the down/up speed Atrix 4g is posting? 1.5mbps is taking us back in time! Why would the iPhone at the same location get 2 to 3 mbps but the BRAND NEW Atrix 4g only get 1.5? Every review has this slow time.

Imagine, getting the phone and trying to watch Youtube with 1.5? Useless! I know, someone will say that ATT will upgrade and back haul their network. When, any guarantees on that info?

I just know this will happen: I buy the phone, wait for this damn upgrade and Sept comes around and I'm still browsing the web at 1.5 mbps. I hate you ATT!

This doesn't worry anyone?

Different markets have different capacities. Here in Texas - they have a pretty good network...especially in San Antonio where their world headquarters used to be up until last year. AT&T has three times the number of towers in the metro/urban area than Verizon...which I have been on for the last three years. Verizon's data speeds absolutely suck in San Antonio.

Upvote 0
Different markets have different capacities. Here in Texas - they have a pretty good network...especially in San Antonio where their world headquarters used to be up until last year. AT&T has three times the number of towers in the metro/urban area than Verizon...which I have been on for the last three years. Verizon's data speeds absolutely suck in San Antonio.

It's the same where I live. Verizon is crap here and AT&T is great. People don't seem to understand that all of these reviews come out of New York or San Francisco.

Reactions: ECdOc
Upvote 0
LOL...This was my original fear! There is a saying, A phone is only as good as the network it runs on. Anyone that says different is just kidding themselves. The reality is this, nobody will be able to compete with Vzw's LTE this year, and T-Mobile will top everyone in the next 2 years with speed. at&t is a joke by even saying the Atrix is 4G, they haven't even been able to get 3G perfected and grown, so what ground can they stand on by saying they're now a 4G network? Straight Foolery...

Upvote 0
LOL...This was my original fear! There is a saying, A phone is only as good as the network it runs on. Anyone that says different is just kidding themselves. The reality is this, nobody will be able to compete with Vzw's LTE this year, and T-Mobile will top everyone in the next 2 years with speed. at&t is a joke by even saying the Atrix is 4G, they haven't even been able to get 3G perfected and grown, so what ground can they stand on by saying they're now a 4G network? Straight Foolery...

As the poster below you said, it was still given a 9/10. Download speeds/call quality are "only as good as the network", the phone itself is fantastic. All the reviews, except one (that I've seen), said the call quality was great as well. And the phone is very snappy and responsive.

With everything else as good as it is with this phone, download speeds aren't a deal breaker for me. And AT&T admits the backhaul is not complete...although these speeds were seen with the H+ displayed.

Upvote 0
As the poster below you said, it was still given a 9/10. Download speeds/call quality are "only as good as the network", the phone itself is fantastic. All the reviews, except one (that I've seen), said the call quality was great as well. And the phone is very snappy and responsive.

With everything else as good as it is with this phone, download speeds aren't a deal breaker for me. And AT&T admits the backhaul is not complete...although these speeds were seen with the H+ displayed.

Your last quote (although these speeds were seen with the H+ displayed) says it all! at&t is running around like chickens without heads right now, you have to figure they are in emergency mode!

They just lost the exclusive on the iphone, they are not viewed from the public as a relieable provider, dropped calls, shotty data speeds, brash customer service, etc. And to boot. they wanted nothing to do with Android not even 6 months ago. Now they come in with they're new 4G network? No way, I'm not buying into it until I see some real deal proof! Which to be honest will not come until the public gets they're hands on it. I always said that the phone looks and sounds amazing Spec wise! However, it has to be tested in real world conditions, by real world people to really get a pulse on how good the device is, and even more important, how improved the network is with this new 4G in place.

Upvote 0
Yea, leaving Sprint I get to make some decisions and the more I think about it the more I'm convinced I should either go with LTE (Prices are high but the speed is unreal in testing 15mbps) or T-mobile... I had the Nexus one and it was at 6mbps last year!!!

I think I may have to either wait for ATT proof or just jump to a carrier that has proof already. Last thing I want to do is close myself into their trap.

It's too bad, Atrix is one sweet phone! Samsung S2 is looking better and better.

Upvote 0
Your last quote (although these speeds were seen with the H+ displayed) says it all! at&t is running around like chickens without heads right now, you have to figure they are in emergency mode!

They just lost the exclusive on the iphone, they are not viewed from the public as a relieable provider, dropped calls, shotty data speeds, brash customer service, etc. And to boot. they wanted nothing to do with Android not even 6 months ago. Now they come in with they're new 4G network? No way, I'm not buying into it until I see some real deal proof! Which to be honest will not come until the public gets they're hands on it. I always said that the phone looks and sounds amazing Spec wise! However, it has to be tested in real world conditions, by real world people to really get a pulse on how good the device is, and even more important, how improved the network is with this new 4G in place.

I agree that things are not going smoothly with them at the moment. But the data speeds are just part of the equation with this phone. If every review out there was saying they couldn't hold a phone call with it, I'd be worried.

The hardware is nice and the guts perform well. I get much better service with ATT than I ever did with VZW (data and voice...not a bash on any carrier, ATT has just been better for ME where I live). I can deal with the same data speeds I'm currently experiencing on my iPhone 3g to have a phone that performs light years better in every other facet of operations.

And it's not like they're going all Sprint on me, charging an extra $10 per month for "4g" coverage that doesn't exist in areas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones