1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Entering Address Info for contacts, isn't compatible w/ Google Contact fields?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jse2480, Dec 27, 2011.

1. jse2480

jse2480 Newbie

On my D1, when I would go to enter contact info, especially an address, there would be a field for Street, Street #2, City, State, Country, etc. When looking at the contact on the computer in Google Contacts, each of these fields would be properly filled out.

Correct me if I am wrong, but on the GNex, it seems that in the address field, it's simply a single box where you type out the whole address. If you enter the address info this way, when you look at the information in Google Contacts (on the computer), all of the info (city, state, zip, etc.) appears in the Street field, and the remaining fields are left blank.

Did I miss something? Has anyone else noticed this? Comments?

mychi likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

Looks that way to me too. Can't believe that could get past initial QC.

3. sygyzy

sygyzy Lurker

Wow that's a pretty amazing find. Can you please file a bug report with Google?

4. Just keep the address in one line, don't put a "return" after you write in the street.

5. indianajonze

indianajonze Well-Known Member

that doesn't work

6. jse2480

jse2480 Newbie

My only experience is with a D1, where you were able to fill out each field, as you would in Google Contacts.

Does anyone else have any experience with this on any other phone (Samsung perhaps), or is this new to ICS?

7. mychi

mychi Lurker

I just registered to this forum because I have the same issue, find it very annoying and filed a bug:

Issue 25272 - android - ICS People app not compatible with Google Contacts (on the web)

I wonder why I don't find a lot about this on the web. But it seems to be a ICS issue, I found other people complaining about it being vice versa (Google Contacts (probably older version) has only one field, Android (2.x) having separate fields). That is really confusing and kind of implies that it is done like this by purpose :eek:

Please star/comment on the issue I created if you want this to be fixed too.

8. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

Maybe its just me, but doesn't Google Contacts on the PC only display as one line? I go in through gmail and I only see one line for address. There aren't separate fields for street, city, state, etc. on either gmail contacts or android.

9. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

If you click the little details thing it breaks out to individual fields.

10. SoftWyer

SoftWyer Well-Known Member

Apart from being mildly annoying, is it a problem?

I can see why Google have gone back to free-format addresses as each country has it's own rules for address format. If you impose one format on the phone, it won't work in other countries. Best to have it free format where you use whatever the local address format is. That way, when posting to their country, it will be in their natural format.

11. mychi

mychi Lurker

it's just inconsistent with google contacts and syncing is messing it up..

and even if it would be about different address formats, at least they could make a separate field for the country. i don't know about all possible formats, maybe there really are countries that don't use anything like street or city (examples appreciated!), but certainly all countries must have "country" as a part of the address format..

12. Nacos

Nacos Lurker

In addressing your comment I would say that exactly for that reason (multiple countries have multiple rules) the address fields should be filled in rigorously: it's much easier from developers perspective to deal with those variations as long as they would know where to collect (point their software to) the specific information from. If my point is still unclear, please read the rest of the comment.

However, it looks to me that although EVERYONE has this ISSUE, there are very few who have even noticed it and/or were annoyed by it - I for one, am annoyed/pissed because:
    1. It also messes up Outlook if the sync is set as 2-way, thus it collects every entry from the address fields and places them all into the "street" field.
    2. With the exception of Google Maps, no other mapping software (Sygic, TomTom, Route66, etc) is able to figure out the address in this new amalgamated format. Even Google Maps has occasional hiccups.
    3. If you were to fill in a new address on the phone, since there are no clear references imagine what would it mean to compare the same entry, on a pool of say 100 users, where every other user filled in the address as they pleased - no order whatsoever. How would that work as a "unified" address field? Not to mention that depending on the location, say California may very well be a Street, a City or a State - figure that out, Google!!!! :mad:

PS. Personally I don't use Google Contacts but I have just tried manually adding a contact and, yes, although apparently there is only one line under the address, clicking on the details button on the right, brings all the other necessary fields for an address. I hope they (Google & Samsung at least) fixed this in the Jelly Bean.

13. patruns

patruns Member

It is not fixed in JB and there is no "details button" on the phone app. I too never noticed this before as I do all of my contact maintenance on the gmail website as it allows more control and is much easier to input.You can always add all the info on the phone and later fix it online. I really don't see this as a major issue.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews