1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Entering Text in Android Forums

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stuntman, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was trying out the Eee Pad at the store today as I am considering getting one. I went to these Android forums and tried entering a post. (Just tested data entry.) I found that when entering text here, there is a significant lag from when I type the letter and when the letter appears. It takes maybe a quarter of a second after typing the letter before the letter appears. Has anyone encountered this issue?

I have encountered this similar issue on my Desire Z when using the stock browser and the physical keyboard. The virtual keyboard did not show much significant lag. After one of the firmware updates for the Desire Z, the issue has gone away. In any case, I ended up using the Opera browser most of the time anyway on my Desire Z and rarely use my phone to post on these forums.

If I do end up getting the Eee Pad, I will be using it to post on these forums more. Most likely, I would be using the keyboard attachment. I would like to know if this is an issue before purchasing one. The one I used was at the store and in landscape mode.

Advertisement

2. ericDylan

ericDylan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Full-time Student
    Atlanta, GA
    Did you use the asus keyboard or the android? I have found the android keyboard to be much more responsive. I have not used my computer to browse the internet especially this forum since I got my Asus. I do not have any lag when typing and the software keyboard is very easy for me to type on like a normal computer keyboard flat in my lap. I was actually surprised at how fast I have become on it.

Though I still plan on getting the keyboard attachment, this has made me thing twice about it. However, the battery and ports are still invaluable.

3. RRtexasranger

RRtexasranger Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2011
    A couple more questions. If you were using the dock, was in only in the internet browser the keys were lagging, or was it in all of the applications? Also. do you know if the the TF was running Honeycomb 3.0.1, or 3.1?

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it might have been the Asus keyboard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Asus keyboard is darker and the Android keyboard is lighter. I recall in a video review that this was the case. When I was using it, I believe they keys were darker.

If I get the Eee Pad, I will be betting the keyboard attachment as well. The keyboard attachment that acts as a cover and extra battery is one of the main reasons I am considering the Eee Pad.

I was not using the dock. I found the lagging only happened on the stock browser and only when entering text on this forum. The keyboard was fine on another site and was fine on the Gmail app.

I do not know the version of Honeycomb. It was a demo at a store here in Canada.

5. ericDylan

ericDylan Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Full-time Student
    Atlanta, GA
    The asus keyboard is lighter with a number row at the top. The android one is dark with no umbered row

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    There was no number row as I recall.