1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Entering text into adb shell

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by oldun, Aug 20, 2020.

1. oldun

oldun Member

I am in the process of improving my Firestick 4k. I have added a USB drive and partition it 50:50 so that I have extra "internal" memory and space to save videos etc.

So far everything seems to have gone well.

I am now in the process of transferring apps over to the usb. To do this i am using adb shell with the command

pm move-package "FullAppName" "USBID".

I can find the FullAppName using the command - pm list package "partAppName".

I can find the USBID using the command df -h (all 32 characters of the ID).

So I typed in the move-package (above) for one of the Apps and I successfully moved the App to the USB .....and it worked!!!!

With the cursor flashing at the bottom of the adb shell screen I can save typing bu making a long press on the OK button resulting in a drop-down list of all the previous commands I have typed in.

I do this and select the last move-package command.

So I now have a viable command but with the wrong FullAppName

How can I correct the FullAppName without first deleting the 32 character long USBID?

Addendum

Is there any easier way to do what I am trying to do?

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what about just copying and pasting it into the command prompt?

3. oldun

oldun Member

Thanks for your reply.

I am reasonably competent with the use and modification of computers but my work usually involves the use of Widows. I am not familiar with programming via such programs as the adb shell, though I am using this type of programming much more with my Raspberry Pi and the Firestick

A the moment I am using a combination of a keyboard on a Galaxy S10 mobile phone, using the Firestick app, and a Firestick remote.

With the remote keyboard life is certainly much easier. I can now move around the text and edit parts in the middle. Before I had to delete everything from the end and reinstate the corrected version afterwards.

What I have not mastered is the art of cutting and pasting using the adb shell, the S10 keyboard and the Firestick remote. To be true I did not even know if it was possible!

I would appreciate your help.