1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Epic 4G Froyo issues all around..Help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rnbhonie, May 30, 2011.

1. rnbhonie

rnbhonie Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    Medical Support
    Central Indiana
    I bought my Epic when it first came out in September. I Loved it. Went thru a couple devices in the beginning but 3rd device is the charm. I wish I'd had it before I had a blackberry. Easy use and awesome features.
    Now, with the new Froyo system, I've had nothing but issues.

* The date is not propery displayed when the screen.

*Why don't I have the option of vibrate & silence in the same menu with out having to go out to the settings to switch it.

*No longer rooted which caused me to lose a few useful apps. Ex. Shootme (screen capture), App to SD, and tether. I've not been able to use tue other non rooted versions of theae apps. Not sure why.
    I did find out talking to Sprint, they don't offer tethering which is another reason I can't use it.

*It force closes almost every app. No matter what I'm doing.

*I can hang up a call & the phone will just shut completely off. I have to wait for it to reboot to do anything else. It cuts off when I close the keyboard or stop the music app.

*I have read all the threads & tried every suggestion just short of uninstalling Froyo to get my phone rooted with no luck. With each one I get a message "This device can't be rooted". Even with Z4 Root.

*I've read all the threads on how to install the drivers on my computer. No luck. With each one, my computer still says it's missing some kind of Samsung driver. I can't figure out what itcs missing.
    I cometimes have to take my SD card & use a card reader out just to transfer files.

Am I the only one having these issues? Do I have to go to sprint and request a whole new device? I've been so frustrated that I've been thinking about jumping ship for something else. I mean nothing is working.

Does anyone know if the Gingerbread update I keep hearing about will be better? Rooted even?
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Oh yea, anyone know of any way to turn off the stock lock screen? I've tried a few from the app store with no luck. I think because of my phone not being rooted.

Advertisement

2. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    The date issue will correct itself at the begining of june, samsprint used the wrong sized font for may for some odd reason. For some of the rooted apps that you used some can be replaced and some cant. Sd move can be used to move your apps to sd. Pdna net can be used to tether, free wont provide secure connections while paid will.
    Have you tried reseting your phone in recovery menu? Phone off>volume down+camera key+ power on until it boots up. Then clear data and cache. That will reset the phone but in doing so you will lose all you stuff like sms and such so backup anything before doing so.
    For connecting your phone to your computer i would highly suggest getting a different cable other than samsungs. They are junk. Palms and blackberries work great so do alot of aftermarket ones. That and trying another port on your computer, tower best in back laptop one by power hookup if you have one. Changing cables have fixed a lot of peoples driver issues, including me. If you can get your phone to be seen by your computer you should be able to root it. There is another method i have heard about just using your sd card but i dont know much about it. Z4 no longer works on our phones since the froyo update:-(
    They already have root on gingerbread and from what i have seen of it so far it will be a good upgrade from froyo. I tried the leaked version and it was nice. For being a leaked version it was pretty solid so the official release should be much better.
    As far as lock screen goes, not without root.
    Hope this helps some. :)

rnbhonie likes this.
  3. Gavisann

Gavisann Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    How is you no longer being rooted a "Froyo Issue"? Update your apps if they are crashing.

4. rnbhonie

rnbhonie Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    Medical Support
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for these suggestions. I've done a phone reset wiping everything and that hasn't changed anything. The date did fix with the change in month. I have tried different cords and still get the same result. I've been debating about trying the leaked version of the Gingerbread. I haven't seen any info about when sprint will get it. I know the Evo has it and I've heard good things. I may have to just wait for the update. Thanks again. I'll try the suggestions again and see if I can get lucky.

5. rnbhonie

rnbhonie Newbie
    None

May 25, 2011
    Medical Support
    Central Indiana

I don't know if it's a Froyo issue or not but that's what I was told by some friends. I've updated all my apps and they still crash. Not being rooted was the only thing I could think of.