• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic 4G Touch Coming Sept. 16 for $199

I know it will be thicker, but I would love a slider version. 6 rows of keys, right? :p

In my opinion a 6 row keyboard would make the keys too small and cramped, I think 5 row is the sweet spot for smartphone keyboards. The Epic's keyboard (not considering the skipping key presses, that's a software issue) is an amazing keyboard, and likely the best I've ever experienced (OPINION).

Upvote 0
In my opinion a 6 row keyboard would make the keys too small and cramped, I think 5 row is the sweet spot for smartphone keyboards. The Epic's keyboard (not considering the skipping key presses, that's a software issue) is an amazing keyboard, and likely the best I've ever experienced (OPINION).

it won't be cramped with that size of a phone.

Upvote 0
The stats are great and all but you lose a key feature of the phone. The Epic 4G 2 has the keyboard but isn't really that much of an upgrade.

To tell you the truth, I think a phone with that big of a screen + a KB would make it bulky and they wouldn't be about to brag about the slimness.

It would be nice to see a keyboard on a comparable phone someday.

The main reason I took the Epic over the Evo was because I was new to touch screens and was a very slow Swyper. Now that I can Swype better, I find myself not using the KB as often. I bet I'll miss the keyboard from time to time, but I think I'll manage.

Upvote 0
The thing is, I too was one of those users that really wanted the keyboard because I wasn't wanting a complete touch screen only phone at the time. However, after having the Epic, I gradually started using the keyboard less and less as time went on to where now I don't even want it. There are a lot of users that have grown past hardware keyboards.

However, I do understand the POV that you have poweranimals, and I hope that somehow Sprint provides a powerhouse phone spec wise, with a good keyboard for those of you that do really want a keyboard.

Upvote 0
It's just the Galaxy S II with a slightly bigger screen and battery. This, however, is an awesome thing since people have been totting the GSII as possibly the best phone on the market right now. While I'm glad Sprint it releasing it, I think I am going to hold off and no not because it doesn't have a keyboard. I bought the original Epic 4G because it was a Galaxy S phone and not because it had a keyboard(though that was a plus).

The reason I am holding off is because Samsung took way too long to bring the GSII stateside. While a lot of this is probably due to the carriers requesting their own unique version (with the exception of AT&T which has one that is pretty much identical to the International version), I feel it should not have taken months for the phone to hit the US market.

I will personally be waiting for the Nexus Prime to launch because if it is made my Samsung, it will most likely pack the same internals as the GSII if not better and it will be a Pure Google phone with instant updates the second any firmware upgrade is announced.

I've actually been covering and following both the GSII line and the Nexus Prime line pretty closely on my blog.

Check out these specific links for a little more info:

Broke Man's Tech: It's About Damn Time, the Samsung Galaxy S II finally lands in the US of A

and

Broke Man's Tech: The Galaxy S II and the Nexus Prime (Sprint Edition)

Upvote 0
i'm the other way around in regards to KB. i've actually been using the KB more now than swype. it's a pain entering codes, usernames, passwords, and such with swype.

the best thing about swype is one hand/thumb operation, and it's a great option. with a bigger screen though, swype might be even more cumbersome as the thumb might have to reach too far, unless there is an option to re-size the KB.

Upvote 0
For the people asking about off contract pricing, the galaxy s 2 (euro version) unlocked is 799 on best buys site. The epic touch 4g is basically the same phone with a slightly larger screen, capacitive touch buttons, and it's the only us variant of the GSII that has an L.E.D notification light so I would expect similar off contract prices if not a little more.

Upvote 0
it's the thinnest smartphone available in the US and it has a 4.52 inch screen that is bigger than the infuse so I don't think the epic touch is smaller. The infuse measures 4.5

Have you looked at the dimensions? Obviously you haven't since you don't believe me, I won't post the dimensions because I've posted them many times before, but you should look them up if you're so sure.

Upvote 0
For the people asking about off contract pricing, the galaxy s 2 (euro version) unlocked is 799 on best buys site. The epic touch 4g is basically the same phone with a slightly larger screen, capacitive touch buttons, and it's the only us variant of the GSII that has an L.E.D notification light so I would expect similar off contract prices if not a little more.

I highly doubt that it will be that high. Name 1 Sprint phone that sells for that much unsubsidized..... Exactly. Expect about the same as the Epic 4G's original unsubsidized price, around $500-$600.

Upvote 0

I would also like rounded raised keys, so I only hit the key I'm trying to hit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones