• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Epic 4G Wifi Tethering w/ Mac. Possible?

olivelawn

Lurker
Oct 7, 2010
This has probably been answered before, but I figured I'd ask. I'm a total noob when it comes to phones (currently on a samsung alias w/ no data plan), but I am a linux sysadmin by trade, so I kinda/sorta know what i'm doing.

I am interested in purchasing the epic 4G and using it as a phone (with all of the regular features) and as a wifi hotspot (without paying the $30/mo fee) for my mac running OSX running 10.6.

From reading through these threads it appears I *should* be able to do this. It seems like a 2 part process: 1. the 1-click rooting your phone bit and 2. downloading a wireless application.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I use macOSX to root the phone, if I use windows under VMware Fusion? I know the theoretical answer...but has someone actually done this?

2. Has anyone succesfully connected to the phone/hotspot using macOSX?

3. Is it possible to use the phone in non hotspot mode, i.e. via a usb cable to a Mac? If not, no biggie, assuming #2 works.

4. Is the idea to avoid doing any kind of auto updates to android after rooting?

5. 4G just came to San Francisco and has some nice DL speeds. The speeds remain intact after rooting and all that? Seems like it would, but gotta ask. GPS still works?

6. Lastly. Any downsides a noob should know about?

Thanks for the responses.

Wow, no answers yet. Let me see what I can help you with...

#3, I don't think there's a USB tether mode at the moment. There are 2 good ways to tether wirelessly though. Mobile AP and Wireless Tether pre 9

#4, Nope. We don't have the issues with updates removing root like the HTC guy's have to deal with. You'll need to have the stock apps installed in order to do the updates but updating the phone in general is a good idea.

#5, Yes. They may get better or worse depending on which update you're running though. DI18 is arguably the best, and it's the latest.

#6, You can't currently run Mobile AP with a de-odexed rom. I went through all the trouble of installing a custom kernel and overclocking to 1.2GHz only to find out that it broke my Mobile AP. Back to stock with root and now things are running great.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones