• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic durability?

There is. With all the other providers ;-)
Two guys I work with have the tmobile version. They've started carrying bibs when they look at mine. And that's before even showing them the 4g speed.

But I do think all metal would make it feel much more substantial. I don't know if I can ever ditch the slide out keyboard though now.

Upvote 0
There is. With all the other providers ;-)
Two guys I work with have the tmobile version. They've started carrying bibs when they look at mine. And that's before even showing them the 4g speed.

But I do think all metal would make it feel much more substantial. I don't know if I can ever ditch the slide out keyboard though now.

I haven't used my slide out keyboard once! Swype, however, is amazingly intuitive.

Upvote 0
I write massive amounts of text on my phone and need the keyboard. I like the construction of the Desire Z but not the keyboard layout or the screen.

I'm not married to any one company, however. If HTC offers the best keyboard and construction next time, I'll go with their phone. If the best phone for me is still a Samsung, then I'll seem brand-loyal to people who don't understand my criteria.

If battery life were my first priority, I'd have bought a Droid X.

People who rail against brands would do better to vow never to be early adopters and always buy at least three months after launch. Luxury pricing and beta-release-testing thrive on impatience.

Upvote 0
My wife and I have had our Epics for a month now, and I've been happy with how they've stood up to the abuse. I would say my slider is definitely more loose now, but I expected that to be honest. I use my keyboard quite a bit, so that's likely why it has some play in it. We also got the Sprint two-piece black covers for our phones and I've been impressed with them. I love the grippy feel of it and I don't feel like it adds much to the size or weight of the phone. I do wonder if it has had any influence on the looser feeling of the slider or not...

Upvote 0
I dropped mine three times before I finally figured out a way to attach my wrist strap to it. Each time, the back cover popped off, and the battery flew out. Scared me pretty badly, but there was nary a scratch on the cover, the sides, or the screen; and the slider doesn't appear to be any looser than it was before I dropped it. (But I set about attaching the wrist strap anyway, because I am a klutz, and do NOT wish to tempt fate.)

Upvote 0
I dropped mine three times before I finally figured out a way to attach my wrist strap to it. Each time, the back cover popped off, and the battery flew out. Scared me pretty badly, but there was nary a scratch on the cover, the sides, or the screen; and the slider doesn't appear to be any looser than it was before I dropped it. (But I set about attaching the wrist strap anyway, because I am a klutz, and do NOT wish to tempt fate.)

How do you attach a wrist strap?

Upvote 0
I've had some bad luck but it may be some QC issues over at Samsung. My unit had some separation at the bottom between the keyboard and the screen. It wasn't significant but it started to become a concern as it got bigger and bigger and I would hear an audible click when I used the touch screen.

It also started to twist around so holding the phone naturally it would push out a little bit constantly.

I've sent it in for warranty work and they're estimating basically two weeks plus shipping it back to me.

Oh and the phone would completely lock up and the touch screen would not work during or after a phone call or on occasion when taken out of sleep. Just some issues to watch out for.

Edit: also it's never been dropped, etc.

Upvote 0
I noticed that my phone freezes a lot--force closes programs pretty often. Not sure why!

Also, I noticed that if you have a white screen up--you can see the pattern password thing show. You can vaguely see the circles when the screen is all white--it's weird and I'm not so happy about it!

Upvote 0
Two things.

Some folks mentioned "why didn't they make it out of metal or something". I saw on the Gorilla Glass website that GG doesn't really have to be glass (as in see through) but can be the outside cover of laptops, etc. That would be cool to have a whole phone shell made of GG.

Second, I loved my Sprint 2 peice cover - LOVED. People think thats how the phone looks. (When the cover is on) But somehow I guess I broke the bottom piece and it doesn't stay attached. I want to curl up in a ball.

Out of all the phones I've every had though. All the tiny little Nokia phones that were all the rage back in the day, to my BB's. This Epic is the best. Useability, it's OS and it's durability.

Upvote 0
I dunno about that ^^^. My gf finally shattered her screen after dropping her Epic a million times, and my sister broke her LG Ally screen (also GG, dropped it screen down on a small rock). I'd rather have a plastic or metal back so I only have a 50% chance of shattering glass.

Darn man that stinks - your girlfriend must have butter fingers!!! (That could be good in a way though, lol!!) I think we can say though that the screen is pretty durable. You don't think if the whole phone was made out of what the screen is that it would "never break"?

(Although my phone has not a mark on it - just on my sprint case there are a few scuffs. I think I've dropped mine only 2-3 times and I bought mine on release day. I don't know how I've been this gentle either. My last BB looked like crap when I was done with it and with exception to clam shell phones I've wrecked just about everything I've ever had. Including dropping and breaking in half 2 of those.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones