1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Epic Froyo update question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vweezy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. vweezy

vweezy Lurker

Ok so I am one of the many many people awaiting for froyo to arrive for the Epic. I am also one of the many people who didnt want to wait and stupidly installed the unnoffical 2.2 update. My question is will I have to root my phone when the offical 2.2 update comes out or will it automatically update to Froyo??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

3. Stoney62

Stoney62 Android Enthusiast

There's nothing stupid about updating the leaked DK28. Those of us that did have enjoyed all the wonderful things that those that didn't don't have. I.E, a perfectly working GPS. Flash player working great. A bubble text app lol
    The knowledge that I can go quickly back to stock if I have to.

4. PhonerSapien

PhonerSapien Member

Any place I've seen where people have discussed installing the unofficial Froyo, there are people who have caused problems with some functionality of their phones, and even some who have bricked their phones. In fact, the percentage of people who claim their Epics are running completely fine with Froyo seem to be in the minority. Has it occurred to anyone that Samsung may be experiencing the same sorts of problems in its testing, and that's why the update has been slow in coming? Unless you put the delay down to some sort of deliberate nefariousness on Samsung's part, it's looking more and more to be some sort of fundamental incompatibility between the hardware (which includes the use of CDMA, instead of the world standard GSM), and the Android operating system.

And people blame Samsung for TouchWiz, and enhancing the screen to adjust for tilting in landscape mode - supposedly integrating those features with stock Android is what's causing the delay - but these are great features. Why aren't those features already part of the Android operating system? Maybe if Google expended less resources updating its pretentious (and often politically motivated) search logo on an almost daily basis, and instead spent resources incorporating these cool features into Android, they would truly eclipse the Iphone (after all, TouchWiz is an attempt to replicate the Iphone's UI coolness on Android), and Samsung would not have to expend loads of development time altering and testing Android on its phones. After all, I thought that was what "open source" is all about.

Maverickc5 likes this.
  5. pablo.station

pablo.station Well-Known Member

Riiiiight lol. When on 2.1, my GPS was working ok. Since installing DK28 my GPS doesn't work for boo boo.

everything else works fine though.

6. kendermouse

kendermouse Newbie

I've heard rumors that the reason we have no froyo is that samsung is trying to charge the cell companies for 'their' version of froyo for the galaxy s series like it's a luxury upgrade. I hope the rumors are wrong, I really do...

Regardless, I'd love to know why I keep hearing they have froyo on the galaxy s phones overseas already, and not here. *sighs*

Samsung Epic 4G Forum

The Samsung Epic 4G release date was September 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

September 2010
Release Date
Reviews