• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic goes CRAZY when it's hot out??

Puddin422

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
So, I'm outside a lot on the weekends at race tracks, and my phone goes nuts ONLY when I'm out in the heat for long periods. Has anyone else experienced this?

It will sort of freeze, but the screen will bounce a little. It is frozen in the sense that it will not do anything. I am stuck on whatever screen I was on while the whole screen does this bouncing thing. I sometimes can't even shut the screen off. I end up having to pull the battery. :mad:

It's in my pocket, always. I'll receive a text, go to swipe the screen, and the damn thing is frozen/bouncy. I could sometimes get the screen to go off, put it away, and try again in a few minutes, but other times I had to pull the battery.

I do not know the battery temp.

This even happened in Maryland this weekend. It was mid to upper 80s. It seems to be more of an issue with extended periods of heat than just an hour or less in extreme heat. Because it never happens at home where I'm only out in the heat for less than an hour.

Upvote 0
You might have a rogue app causing the CPU to jack up causing the heat issue. I have observed the heat, and sometimes the instability and the heat issue before, not consistently though. Most often if I was using my browser(Dolphin HD) on a flash based site and/or running a game then quitting.

Usually if I open the task manager and kill everything except the launcher(I am running LauncherPro), then go to the Ram Manager and do a level 2 clear two times it will resolve the issue. Give that a shot and see how it goes.

Are you rooted? If so what ROM are you running?

HTH

Upvote 0
Urban Regeneration. It was doing it with the previous version, too. It actually just did it tonight, once, and it is not hot out. Hmm. Luckily I was able to shut the screen off, wait a few seconds, and come back to it. It happens usually on the lock screen, btw.

I don't know anything about the Urban Regeneration rom. Maybe their lockscreen mod doesn't play nice with your phone. Did you ever notice this on the stock rom? If so it may be a hardware issue that might warrant a re-flash to stock and trip to the Sprint store for replacement/repair, not the ideal scenario I realize.

Maybe you could try a different rom. I run Syndicate Frozen ROM and it's given me very few issues.

Upvote 0
Hey what kernel are you running with regeneration? Or are you still on clean kernel? Since our phones are similar in demeanor, well not quite, yours is way more sensitive than mine, i believe me and one other tester have figured out why this happens, at least with ours after playing around with the v6 supercharger scripts and an app called automemory optimizer, both of which will tweak the kernels memory management. If the threshhold is set to high will definitely cause freeze ups, but that will vary from phone to phone. The low memory tweaks that are used in the kernels(genocide, twilight, etc.) dont always play nice with the more sensitive phones. That and they also have tweaked with the voltages at each frequency and if your phone is such it will also have adverse reactions as well. So the roms may not have anything to do with your issues. I would suggest going to clean kernel and if you so choose use an app like the above mentioned to tweak the setting. That way you have complete control over what is going on. Questions feel free to get a hold of me. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Are you running your screen at full brightness? Mine does a weird flicker, but only on full brightness. The extra power pulled when turning on the screen could contribute. Just a shot in the dark.

did you flash with cwm. I couldn't use odin for the longest time. My phone got really goofy, stopped recognizing my phone on the computer and other weirdness. Then I finally found a computer that would recognize my phone in download mode. I think it was one of the gingerbread roms I flashed. Was running way better. If you can use odin try flashing the ec05 stock rom with cwm 3.1.0.1 built in, then get back to how you like it then restore your data.

good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones