1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Epic is epicly epic. (Praise Thread)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mosiah, Feb 22, 2011.

1. mosiah

mosiah Newbie

So after 3 Evos in 2 weeks the spring guy talked me into switching to the Epic, had it for about 2 hours now and I'm loving it, I was a bit leery after having hte moment and having to wait on Samsung and their epicly slow support upgrade times.

I haven't had time to mess with putting video on here but how does it compare to watching on something say like an ipod touch?

Advertisement

2. TheRoot

TheRoot Newbie

It's great.

3. pflol

pflol Android Enthusiast

Super Amoled, can't stand anything else now! ;)

4. cary328is

cary328is Android Expert

It's definitely awesome. You can just drag any Divx movie and the default movie player will play it. Also turn on the "5.1ch" while wearing some good headphones. You'll love it

5. RedBear'n

RedBear'n Newbie

You know, I think this is as good a thread as any to touch on a topic that I've been pondering...because *spoiler alert* it ends in praise.

I owned a Fascinate (the Girlfriend loves it now) from day 1, so I know how frustrating the Froyo wait has been. Actually, more than know, because that device doesn't even have 2.2 yet, however I turned in my 2 week old EVO on Sunday and snagged the Epic 4G, and come home to read that Froyo is coming out the next day...I was totally stoked. So I'm trying to pick up on the buzz and notice that 50% of all Galaxy S threads are just whining. "Oh the skins!," "Oh the Froyo," "Oh, the lies," Oh, the wait..." Now granted I currently have Froyo so I'm kind of standing on a pulpit right now, but let's review some things...

1. 5 Versions of the device with a mixed bag of 3 different radios on each needed a viable update. And let me say this as a guy who has had a few devices in his day, they really did a nice job on at least the Epic update, IMHO. I have browser checkerboarding and that is it, and it's not really that bad. Point is...this was more than 1 update for team Galaxy S if you break it down that way, otherwise the ROMS and Voodoo and all that 'ish would be cross compatible.

2. The Epic is a second or third Android device to a lot of us, and I hate to break this news but...going from one Android to another is NEVER GOING TO REPLICATE what going from no smartphone or in my case Blackberry to Android was. In that sense we are like drug addicts. We got that first high, and now we are chasing the dragon, except in our case we are chasing a little green robot...but we will never get that..."Holy crap, this navigation is...like, showing me at the intersection in real time...and it shows me moving when the light turned green!!!" experience that we got with our first Androids.

That being said, I feel a matured user. And at a time when I feel a mature software update has been brought to a mature piece of hardware. These dual cores sound great and the Atrix is a gorgeous piece of kit, but the Epic really has become a device I can see myself holding onto even after I upgrade. Just like every couple of months I drive around the OG Droid for a week or three, flashing ROM's like some sort of digital desperado. Except with the Epic...I don't even feel the need to flash ROM's.

Everything has come together quite well on this handset, and I couldn't be happier. Unless there were 16GB internal DDR RAM.

/Epic Rant