• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Epic tethering

I got my phone rooted, and I downloaded the tethering apk file mentioned above. I saved it to my SD card, but I have no idea what to do from there. I can't open the file b/c no program is recognized for the file type. I really appreciate your patience and help!
Download Astro File Manager from Android Market, and then use it to install the apk to your phone.

Upvote 0
ES FileManager is an alternative to Astro which for me works a bit better for browsing my local Windows network.

Sorry to be obtuse, but is this basically the same as Root Explorer that I used on my Moment? For some reason, I am having a much more difficult time with rooting/setting up/tethering the Epic than I did with the Moment. And I'm not up on the jargon and acronyms so it makes it harder. Thanks for your answer!

Upvote 0
Thank you all, these AndroidForum posts have been very helpful.

As for PdaNet, I'm glad PdaNet works for you, it's failing for me. I have: Sprint, Samsung Epic 4g, Android version 2.2 but not rooted, PdaNet (paid). On PC side, Lenovo t61p, Windows 7, PdaNet. PdaNet both sides were purchased September 2010. Installed the PC-side driver from junefabrics.com/android/driver.php and rebooted after installing (both phone and PC).

Result: PC installs 3 of the 4 USB drivers (CDC Abstract Control Module ACM hangs, but ADB succeeds). Popup says it connects, but a few seconds later PC says "usb connection dropped (code=1)" And it is not connected. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you, -Ben -- b at brss.us

Upvote 0
Hey all i have a samsung epic with sprint and i am trying to get the internet to work on my car. I have a 2007 acura TL type S My old phone let the internet connect automatically. This phone requires that i buy the plan for 30$ a month. Now i downloaded and tested pdanet on my laptop and my car. It worked on my laptop and my phone and car are paired and pdanet says connected but the car says it can not connect to the acura server. Anyone know how to get this to work?? The rest of the pairing features work fine like the phone book and all the calling features its just the internet sharing. The last phone that worked on this car was a HTC 6800 or 6900 i cant remember which one. So i know it works with this car and sprint.

Any suggestions?
thanks in advance
peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones