• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
The Epic has better hardware specs except for the size of the screen, which is .3" smaller if that matters to you, and the front facing camera is 1.3 MP on the Evo vs. supposedly .3 MP on the Epic.

However, for gaming the cpu/gpu combination on the Epic is supposed to be better, assuming at the time of release they keep it the same as the already released Galaxy S. Also, the Epic is supposed to have a 6 axis accelerometer.

Personally I will get the Epic unless there turns out to be a serious flaw with it. Another thing you may want to consider is the bundled interface which is Touchwiz 3. Some people like HTC's Sense interface better...and some like stock Android etc.

Upvote 0
The Epic has better hardware specs except for the size of the screen, which is .3" smaller if that matters to you, and the front facing camera is 1.3 MP on the Evo vs. supposedly .3 MP on the Epic.

However, for gaming the cpu/gpu combination on the Epic is supposed to be better, assuming at the time of release they keep it the same as the already released Galaxy S. Also, the Epic is supposed to have a 6 axis accelerometer.

Personally I will get the Epic unless there turns out to be a serious flaw with it. Another thing you may want to consider is the bundled interface which is Touchwiz 3. Some people like HTC's Sense interface better...and some like stock Android etc.

More megapixels don't mean anything, in fact it can make an already bad picture worse. The Samsung Galaxy S line is suppose to carry the same camera sensor that's currently on the iPhone 4 which was supplied to Apple from Samsung if that's true for all Galaxy S phones it will beat the Evo in camera/video quality hands down.

Let's not also forget it packs swype that's built into the stock keyboard and it's superior cpu/gpu combo which was already mentioned, also comes with a slide out qwerty keyboard if you like such things but it's slim enough to never even use it and still enjoy the on screen keyboard. I returned my Evo and I'm currently awaiting the Epic. Honestly the .3" loss of a smaller screen won't be that noticeable and the super-amoled screen more than makes up for it.

Upvote 0
Honestly the .3" loss of a smaller screen won't be that noticeable and the super-amoled screen more than makes up for it.

So True. If all of the technical specs that have been leaked/released are indeed correct for the EPIC, then it's picture quality will blow the EVO's out of the water! When I still had my 3rd and Final EVO I compared it's screen to an iPhone 4 and it was sad.

The EVO looked dull and flat compared to the vibrance of color and clarity of the new iPhone. HTC is trying to use the age-old trick that television manufacturers have been using for decades of jacking up the brightness and sharpness to make the display floor models "pop" compared to the competition. The resulting picture is one that looks good upon a glance, but closer inspection reveals a washed-out, over-saturated, flat picture.

I am not feeling the slider keyboard, but the Super AMOLED screen will be awesome!

Upvote 0
i just want to know about the 10$ charge...Yes or no???

Because even though the cpu/gpu may be better in the Epic, the data using features like the camera, video camera, memory, The screen size,etc are all better on the Evo so is it safe to say that we wont be using as much data as you could on the Evo???

The above stated were the reason given why Evo has the xtra charge because it offers you a premium experience and a chance to use more data, will the Epic use more data than the Evo?

Upvote 0
i just want to know about the 10$ charge...Yes or no???

Because even though the cpu/gpu may be better in the Epic, the data using features like the camera, video camera, memory, The screen size,etc are all better on the Evo so is it safe to say that we wont be using as much data as you could on the Evo???

The above stated were the reason given why Evo has the xtra charge because it offers you a premium experience and a chance to use more data, will the Epic use more data than the Evo?

It's been confirmed that it will have a $10 a month charge. Sucks, but what can you do.

Upvote 0
More megapixels don't mean anything, in fact it can make an already bad picture worse. The Samsung Galaxy S line is suppose to carry the same camera sensor that's currently on the iPhone 4 which was supplied to Apple from Samsung

They may be the same sensor, but it is certainly not made by Samsung. The sensor in the iPhone is made by OmniVision. I certainly hope it's the same though. Where did you hear that it is?

Upvote 0
I want to know which one to get and why. I like gaming on the phone and browsing the web and chatting.

I went through the same thing as you, Looking for a gaming phone that can still do everything I would like to do.

Turns out that the Epic is the best combination of tasks.
The Hummingbird processor is faster than the EVO's snapdragon, the GPU is much better, Search Youtube for Samsung Galaxy S Quake to see games taking advantage of the GPU.

Here's the thing That convinced me the most, I don't know if you know what emulators are but they're basically ways of allowing you to play Playstation 1, Super NES, N64, Gameboy and etc... games on your phone. Most emulators allow for you to control the game by using the onscreen touchscreen as a last resort but from what I generally hear, most people prefer to use the games with an actual keyboard so they can pick and choose which button does what on the game, so that makes the game flow much smoother.

WEll that's my 2cents, hopefully this helps u understand why I am picking the Epic 4G over the EVO.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
I never understood the complaining about the $10 thing.

1. They're simply calling it a premium data charge, but you don't know exactly what it's being used toward. They might actually be using it to bolster up the 3g network to withstand the influx of traffic while simultaneously allowing for a smooth rollout of 4g services nationwide. You never know. The money for all of these changes/upgrades needs to come from somewhere.
2. Even with this extra charge sprint still has the least expensive unlimited data/messaging/mobile-to-mobile plan + night and weekends start at 7PM. I came from ATT and my current plan is superior to their's while still being $10 less monthly (not including my corporate discount either). You all have been spoiled for way too long. You want expensive, try pricing out an unlimited data/messaging verizon plan...
3. Sprint is selling $500+ 4G capable superphones for a low-price of $199 up front. God forbid they try to make some of that money back sooner while upgrading the network.
4. Sprint navigator/TV bundled in.

I'm dealing just fine.

Upvote 0
To get back on topic, I'm all over this phone. My only quandary comes from potential video recording quality issues due to write speed limitations to the microSD card if this phone indeed only has 1GB of internal memory .

notsure.gif

Upvote 0
I never understood the complaining about the $10 thing.

1. They're simply calling it a premium data charge, but you don't know exactly what it's being used toward. They might actually be using it to bolster up the 3g network to withstand the influx of traffic while simultaneously allowing for a smooth rollout of 4g services nationwide. You never know. The money for all of these changes/upgrades needs to come from somewhere.
2. Even with this extra charge sprint still has the least expensive unlimited data/messaging/mobile-to-mobile plan + night and weekends start at 7PM. I came from ATT and my current plan is superior to their's while still being $10 less monthly (not including my corporate discount either). You all have been spoiled for way too long. You want expensive, try pricing out an unlimited data/messaging verizon plan...
3. Sprint is selling $500+ 4G capable superphones for a low-price of $199 up front. God forbid they try to make some of that money back sooner while upgrading the network.
4. Sprint navigator/TV bundled in.

I'm dealing just fine.

I don't like it cause it's a never ending fee. I plan on keeping the Epic for atleast 2 years, so after two years I will have paid $440 assuming it retails at $200. I understand Sprint is cheaper than the other providers, but from my experience and others Sprint's service isn't as good as say Verizon. 4G isn't available in my area or most areas, so I think the fee should be optional, but the best money making move is to charge everyone. Assuming everyone will use more data and charging them all a fee because it has a nice camera, processor, and a kickstand sucks. I'll be paying it cause I want a top of the line phone, sucks, but nothing I can do.

To get back on topic, I'm all over this phone. My only quandary comes from potential video recording quality issues due to write speed limitations to the microSD card if this phone indeed only has 1GB of internal memory .

notsure.gif

Don't think you need to worry about that. The Instinct HD records HD video on MicroSD and it works great.

Upvote 0
I don't like it cause it's a never ending fee. I plan on keeping the Epic for atleast 2 years, so after two years I will have paid $440 assuming it retails at $200. I understand Sprint is cheaper than the other providers, but from my experience and others Sprint's service isn't as good as say Verizon. 4G isn't available in my area or most areas, so I think the fee should be optional, but the best money making move is to charge everyone. Assuming everyone will use more data and charging them all a fee because it has a nice camera, processor, and a kickstand sucks. I'll be paying it cause I want a top of the line phone, sucks, but nothing I can do.

Don't think you need to worry about that. The Instinct HD records HD video on MicroSD and it works great.

If $10 a month extra bothers you so much then switch to Verizon or ATT and spend $40.00+ more for less services. Verizon does have a stronger signal but at a much higher price. For me I prefer to save $50.00 a month and get 3 bars than spend it for 5 bars. The only time you can tell the Verizon signal is stronger is when inside some buildings. I get 5 bars constantly outside and at my office. The great thing about sprint is that roaming on verizon is completely free though. Feature for feature my plan would be $70.00 more with verizon.

On topic. This phone looks great and since I am eligible for an upgrade I will use it. I currently use the Palm Pre which has been great but I want to be able to get a new upgrade every year. The problem with the Evo for me is that it has a 16bit screen and even though some might not notice how dull and washed out it looks it is very noticeable for me. I also prefer a keypad and the Evo can barely handle games while my Palm pre plays them all very smoothly.

Sprint - 129.99 2 lines, unlimited mobile calls, 1500 land line minutes,unlimited web and text, nights at 7pm, navigation, sprint tv,

Verizon - 179.99 2 lines, 1400 minites to share, unlimited mobile calls to verizon only, unlimited web and text, nights at 9pm, navigation $10.00 extra, Verizon TV $10.00 extra.

Upvote 0
I checked out some sample vids on youtube and you my friend are correct. Vid quality doesn't seem to be hampered by the limited on-board storage.

Video quality on the Epic should be much better than the Instinct aswell. On the Galaxy S it says about 100MB per 1 minute, on the Instinct it says 60MB per 1 Minute of HD video. That along with the parts being higher quality should make for a nice camera.

I do kinda wish it has 16GB internal so I could add a 16GB SD and have 32GB total for music, and videos. I'm hoping the 32GB MicroSD cards come down in price soon. Way too expensive for me.

The camera mainly video is what kept me from pulling the trigger on the Evo. I don't own a camera or camcorder so I use my phone for both of those, so a nice camera on my phone is important to me. That alone is why I'm choosing the Epic over the Evo, and the keyboard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones