• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic with bad esn?

Can also be legit, non-stolen phone with outstanding unpaid balance at the time of termination.
Absolutely, indeed it it could be simply a canceled contract.

On eBay the bad ESN are typically not stolen phones, probably almost never.

People use them for parts, or in the case of many phones that can be hacked, activation on on an other US CDMA carrier

Worldphones like Sprint CDMA/GSM TP2 can be used on GSM. I have a bad ESN TP2 I picked up for $60, I use for the car and travel. It sits in on of our cars as a spare GPS (it has standalone GPS and TomTom with the world maps on it), it has working wifi, couple of movies for the kids, a few thousand songs, and works all over Europe as a smartphone with a prepaid sim. It also of course has fully workign 911

Even CDMA only bad ESN at certain low prices they are excellent just to use as spare GPS/AV Entertainment/Connected camera units.

Upvote 0
Absolutely, indeed it it could be simply a canceled contract.

On eBay the bad ESN are typically not stolen phones, probably almost never.

People use them for parts, or in the case of many phones that can be hacked, activation on on an other US CDMA carrier

Worldphones like Sprint CDMA/GSM TP2 can be used on GSM. I have a bad ESN TP2 I picked up for $60, I use for the car and travel. It sits in on of our cars as a spare GPS (it has standalone GPS and TomTom with the world maps on it), it has working wifi, couple of movies for the kids, a few thousand songs, and works all over Europe as a smartphone with a prepaid sim. It also of course has fully workign 911

Even CDMA only bad ESN at certain low prices they are excellent just to use as spare GPS/AV Entertainment/Connected camera units.

Just to clear some stuff:
I live in Europe and I buy an US Verizon phone with bad ESN from ebay, will I be able to use this phone here on a regular 3.5g network?
I know that in theory it should work, as it supports 4g, but will this still be the case with a locked to verizon mobile to use it with a prepayed sim?

I hope I was able to make myself understandable:p

Oh, and if there is something that's keeping me from using it like this, how to undo/deblock/... this
Or even reflash :)

Upvote 0
Just to clear some stuff:
I live in Europe and I buy an US Verizon phone with bad ESN from ebay, will I be able to use this phone here on a regular 3.5g network?
I know that in theory it should work, as it supports 4g, but will this still be the case with a locked to verizon mobile to use it with a prepayed sim?

I hope I was able to make myself understandable:p

Oh, and if there is something that's keeping me from using it like this, how to undo/deblock/... this
Or even reflash :)

This is the Epic forum. Although you can get a Galaxy phone on Verizon... you can't get the Epic. So already wrong place. :)

Also, as it was stated these are not GSM phones, they are CDMA only. So no I doubt it would work in Europe regardless of the data standard it works on. 2G, 3G or 5,0000G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones