• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

eReader works!

Hi - I am new to downloading and using ebooks and have a few questions ....

I have downloaded eReader and I am a member of fictionwise and B&N. I have bought an eBook from B&N and it has been downloaded. My phone (an Eris) had a notification regarding the download had finished. I am unable to find it anywhere - even using Astro to look at the SD card.

Do I need to download it with a different extension? It has a PDB extension now.

Thank you for your help ... I want to read :)

Upvote 0
Hey cmerrtt --all of my books are in .pdb format and they're all in a folder on the microSD card called "eReader." I haven't had any trouble finding and opening any of them. The only thing is, I don't know if B&N uses some kind of a specialized DRM that would only enable you to read books purchased on the B&N site on one of the B&N branded eReaders (the nook or the B&N eReader, which currently is only for the iPhone/iPod Touch and Blackberry). I'm going to avoid purchasing content from B&N for my son's nook until I know I'll also be able to read the ebooks on my Droid.

Upvote 0
Burt (or Ivan), have you heard anything back from Fictionwise about updates/bug fixes to the 1.0.39 eReader for Android beta? It sure would be nice to have the Look Up function working fully properly. I use my MW College Dictionary for Look Up within an ebook for singular (not plural) words. Plurals result in "Definition not found." It would be so nice to have that fixed!

Upvote 0
Burt (or Ivan), have you heard anything back from Fictionwise about updates/bug fixes to the 1.0.39 eReader for Android beta? It sure would be nice to have the Look Up function working fully properly. I use my MW College Dictionary for Look Up within an ebook for singular (not plural) words. Plurals result in "Definition not found." It would be so nice to have that fixed!

I haven't heard a thing. I sure miss having the dictionary look up. If you hear anything or find a dictionary that works, please post here. I'll be the first in line with my dollars.

Burt

Upvote 0
I submitted the following inquiry to the support folks at eReader.com this morning:

This is to confirm that the support ticket you submitted has been successfully sent to the eReader.com Support Team. A representative will be contacting you as soon as possible. Your ticket number is 120592. Please keep this for your records. If you have any inquiries regarding this matter, you will need to refer to this number.

========================================================
I'm a long-time eReader for Palm user (on Palm Treo)-- I do all of my leisure reading on my mobile device -- and have recently switched to a Motorola Droid (Android system). Immediately upon purchasing my Droid (several weeks ago), I downloaded the eReader for Android (the fact that this was available being a prime motivator for going with the Android OS). From the Android Forums threads on this topic, I believe your developers are aware of the problem with the Look Up function on Android systems. (Please see here: [URL="http://androidforums.com/android-applications/26460-ereader-works.html#post304032"]http://androidforums.com/android-applications/26460-ereader-works.html#post304032[/URL]). I have the MW Collegiate Dictionary and, while I'm able to look up singular words, every time I try to look up a plural, I receive the message "Definition not found." This is very frustrating, and I really miss having a fully functioning Look Up option. When can we expect an update that resolves this issue?
========================================================

I'll post here when I receive a response.

Upvote 0
GirluvsDroid - Thank you for your input - it is very useful. I will try downloading from a different site than B&N.

I wrote to B&N support, asking if they are working on a B&N compatible ereader for Android (I told them I wouldn't be buying any books from B&N for my son's nook until they had an ereader for Android). Here's the response:

================================================
Thank you for your inquiry regarding eReader for Android.

We are actively working on several different platforms, including
Android. As this time we have not announced any release dates.

================================================

Upvote 0

Now I'm getting pissed.

I sent the following question to Fictionwise:

"Is there any word on when you will have an
eReader-compatible dictionary with direct look up
functionality for the Droid?"

I got this response:

"Version 1.0.39 supports the 'integrated dictionary' feature:
eReader.com: eReader Rewards FAQ

The reference books listed on the following page will work with the 'integrated dictionary' feature on eReader for Android 1.0.39 or later:
eReader.com: Dictionaries and Thesauri"

So I gleefully downloaded 1.0.39 and installed it (lost all my bookmarks in the process, but that's another story). Then I bought Webster's New World College Dictionary and installed it.

Are you ready? Absolutely no change in behavior. It shows exactly the same lack of functionality as before (no plurals, no variants, chopping off long definitions, etc.). In short, it is useless.

Now I have to go through the hassle of trying to get my money back (again).

If anyone discovers a dictionary that works, please post here.

Enough spleen for now.

Burt

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, how does that dictionary lookup work in practice?

I ask because, on my Palm, I could simply select a word and switch to my dictionary (can't recall now which one it was); but on Android there's no such thing as "simply selecting a word", is there?

On my Galaxy (where I'm using Aldiko and FBReader, no paid apps for me) I can't figure out any sensible way to look up a word while I'm reading. I always end up spending several minutes, which yanks me out of whatever it is I'm reading. :(

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, how does that dictionary lookup work in practice?

I ask because, on my Palm, I could simply select a word and switch to my dictionary (can't recall now which one it was); but on Android there's no such thing as "simply selecting a word", is there?

On my Droid using eReader, I just long press the word and it gives me a number of options, including "Look Up" - now, eReader still hasn't fixed the dictionary compatibility problem with Android, but so long as it's just a root word (not plural or past tense, for example), it looks it up just fine. On my Palm using eReader plurals, etc., were no problem.

I also have Aldiko, and if you go to Menu>More>Dictionary, tap on the line that says "Type the word(s) to look up" then type what you want (Swype does work for this, as well as the regular keyboard, although unlike eReader, Aldiko doesn't seem to have landscape view), then you can tap "Look up Dictionary," or the other look up options. Given the dictionary compatibility problems eReader is having, I wouldn't mind having the same "type in the word" capability in eReader.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones