• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris and its battery issues

Why does this phone have such a poor battery life? This is beyond me and why do us customer have to go trough so many limitations just to be able to use this phone?

So you go into the store to purchase a smart phone because of its options and capabilities but then it runs out of battery every 5 hours. What the hell do you want all this options if you cant use them? I mean you have to lower the screen brightness, turn off bluetooth, turn off wireless connection, take some notification capabilities off, set the email pull to 30min instead of say 5min....this is ridiculous...isnt? Why is it that if companies are aware of the battery problems that is usually found on google phones make the new ones with a better battery life by say...i dont know....GIVING THEM MORE OR A BETTER mAh!!!!

Yes Im going to bring Blackberry bcause even thought they are in my opinion behind the game when it comes to UI (Android, WebOS, Iphone Better OS) their hardware and battery life is freaking superb in everyway. Yeah they had some issues with trackball, god even they are aware of this but in general they are right on the ball with everything else. I stopped charging my Curve 8900 3 days before getting the Eris because I had put the charger away already and that thing almost lasted all 3 days. Running Socialscope, a weather app, a facebook app and an IM client 24 hours...none stop. I was also getting emails and SMS all the time and that thing just freaking stayed on...it was incredible. Now I just got the Eris which Im in love with too but the battery problems is just not letting me enjoy this thing. Anywas I just wanted to let that out :eek: I doing some re-search trying to find a bigger battery and hopefully that will make my experience a little more enjoyable.

If you know of a place or a model of battery that would give more life out this phone please let me know.

Thanks

Yes Im going to bring Blackberry bcause even thought they are in my opinion behind the game when it comes to UI (Android, WebOS, Iphone Better OS) their hardware and battery life is freaking superb in everyway.

Thanks

Patience young jedi...:D Give the battery a bit more time to condition itself. I am guessing that you did not have an original Storm - it was the WORST FREAKING POC I have ever owned - equipment AND software...after initial software update - it got better....Now, with 5.0 OS, it is great - yet the battery still blows by in 3/4 - 1 day....

The more apps you run, the worse your battery will be....get over it

Upvote 0
50 other topics discussing this. Try search next time !:thinking:

I search n found the topics. This was just me expressing what I fell about the product

Patience young jedi...:D Give the battery a bit more time to condition itself. I am guessing that you did not have an original Storm - it was the WORST FREAKING POC I have ever owned - equipment AND software...after initial software update - it got better....Now, with 5.0 OS, it is great - yet the battery still blows by in 3/4 - 1 day....

The more apps you run, the worse your battery will be....get over it

I should not have to get over it...it should work properly.
I had the bb 8900 curve n it was as far as battery awsome

Seidio should have a couple of extended batteries coming out soon (seidioonline.com). They reputable, and they usually have one battery option that doesn't add extra bulk to the phone.

I heard about them. Cannot. Wait for.them to come out with decent battery

I'm sure they will but it a tad ridiculous I will have to shell out additional money just to get the average phones battery life. Shouldn't get that from the factory?

I agree with you. That' called poor design

i do believe the blackberry is thicker than the eris (thinner smaller battery) (thicker bigger battery)?????

Not really. The battery on the eris is 1500mah and the blackberry 8900 has a 1400mah battery. So the eris battery is actually bigger(has more power)

I just want make sure that everyone on the post is aware that I really love the eris. The battery is killing my enjoyment of it..that's all

Upvote 0
Why does this phone have such a poor battery life? This is beyond me and why do us customer have to go trough so many limitations just to be able to use this phone?

So you go into the store to purchase a smart phone because of its options and capabilities but then it runs out of battery every 5 hours. What the hell do you want all this options if you cant use them? I mean you have to lower the screen brightness, turn off bluetooth, turn off wireless connection, take some notification capabilities off, set the email pull to 30min instead of say 5min....this is ridiculous...isnt? Why is it that if companies are aware of the battery problems that is usually found on google phones make the new ones with a better battery life by say...i dont know....GIVING THEM MORE OR A BETTER mAh!!!!

Yes Im going to bring Blackberry bcause even thought they are in my opinion behind the game when it comes to UI (Android, WebOS, Iphone Better OS) their hardware and battery life is freaking superb in everyway. Yeah they had some issues with trackball, god even they are aware of this but in general they are right on the ball with everything else. I stopped charging my Curve 8900 3 days before getting the Eris because I had put the charger away already and that thing almost lasted all 3 days. Running Socialscope, a weather app, a facebook app and an IM client 24 hours...none stop. I was also getting emails and SMS all the time and that thing just freaking stayed on...it was incredible. Now I just got the Eris which Im in love with too but the battery problems is just not letting me enjoy this thing. Anywas I just wanted to let that out :eek: I doing some re-search trying to find a bigger battery and hopefully that will make my experience a little more enjoyable.

If you know of a place or a model of battery that would give more life out this phone please let me know.

Thanks

I too had major frustration about battery life.

However, you don't need to turn off everything to enjoy good battery life. Simply:

1) Run down the battery 2-3 times until the phone shuts off. I believe that this conditions or calibrates the meter properly.

2) Keep an eye on your awake time. It should track your usage time closely. If it is stuck on, then play around with the apps to figure out what is causing it to stick on.

3) Keep BT off when not needed.

Otherwise, IMO:

1) Native SMS apps notification is not necessarily the cause, certainly not the only cause, of the 100% awake time issue.

2) I keep my phone in constant mobile network on, WiFi on, phone tower checks every 2.5 seconds and battery life lasts a full day with good usage, almost too with minimal usage.

3) This SHOULD get better with software updates.

4) No need to use an app-killer / manager, IMO.

I hear your frustration, and at times I am at the same level. But persevere.

Upvote 0
2) Keep an eye on your awake time. It should track your usage time closely. If it is stuck on, then play around with the apps to figure out what is causing it to stick on.

3) Keep BT off when not needed.

Thanks for the good tips....BTW I dont get part 2 and I dont know what you mean by BT (is it battery?)

Again...thanks so much about the productive tips...I will also check seidioonline.com for battery upgrades. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the good tips....BTW I dont get part 2 and I dont know what you mean by BT (is it battery?)

Again...thanks so much about the productive tips...I will also check seidioonline.com for battery upgrades. :)

Go to settings - about phone - status. Scroll down. Compare up time (time on) vs. awake time (time phone is active).

Some applications can cause the phone not to sleep, and this will suck your battery dry.

Read the sticky on top for more info.

Upvote 0
I made a few of the changes in the battery tips thread and drained the battery to nothing for 3 straight days. I have a car charger for it, but chose to not use it yesterday to see how long the battery would last. I pulled the phone off the charger when I left for work (6am) and used the phone when ever I wanted to. I surfed the internet, sent and received texts and email, made a few calls. Basically did the things that I would do in a normal day ... didnt watch and movies or listen to music. I went to bed last night at 11:00 and still had about 12% battery and 20% awake time. I dont have any complaints about the battery anymore.

In the future I will charge the phone when I am in the car (I have a 45 minute drive to and from work), and I have a usb cable at work as well if I need to charge it here. I think to big of a deal is being made about the battery life, just my opnion.

Upvote 0
I made a few of the changes in the battery tips thread and drained the battery to nothing for 3 straight days. I have a car charger for it, but chose to not use it yesterday to see how long the battery would last. I pulled the phone off the charger when I left for work (6am) and used the phone when ever I wanted to. I surfed the internet, sent and received texts and email, made a few calls. Basically did the things that I would do in a normal day ... didnt watch and movies or listen to music. I went to bed last night at 11:00 and still had about 12% battery and 20% awake time. I dont have any complaints about the battery anymore. .

Bingo, bango, boingo.

i think that either proper conditioning of the battery or the meter is critical on this phone. personally, I think it's the meter.

Upvote 0
I woke up today at around 8am. Made about 4 calls, listen to 2 podcast, and played pandora while cleaning my car, and took 8 pictures which I emailed out. Right now is 2:38pm and battery level has 2 bars in yellow (up time 13:01/Awake Time 6:13) Im going to let it drain today and tomorrow see if that helps...cause by the looks of it I should be running out of batteries by 4pm :( .... not enough

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones