• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris and its battery issues

...yea but the storm sucks :p

Yeah I agree there...Storm 1 and 2 sucks big time. I did have a pearl, curve 8320 and 8900. They all hand phenomenal battery life. Hands down.

Update on my battery:
Just made 2 more calls after the last update. Right now battery life is RED and its got the "connect your charger" alert. (less than 10%)

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree there...Storm 1 and 2 sucks big time. I did have a pearl, curve 8320 and 8900. They all hand phenomenal battery life. Hands down.

Update on my battery:
Just made 2 more calls after the last update. Right now battery life is RED and its got the "connect your charger" alert. (less than 10%)

Last night, I kept tapping 'Ok' until it totally died...but I agree with people, that the last part of that battery juice goes quite ways. :D

Upvote 0
Hero has a 1500ma battery and lasts a few hours longer than the eris. They are basically the same phone but the eris is better because it has a proximity sensor and capacitive main keys. I think they wanted to differenitate from the main droid so they went with a smaller battery to have a smaller form factor. For a smartphone IMO the Eris has an adequate battery life/size trade off. My wife uses it and takes it off the charger at 6:30am and it lasts untilat least 5pm sometimes 9pm. Bluetooth is off but everything else is on (data, GPS, sync, wifi) Android OS does a great job of managing all of the connections and GPS if I left those all on auto with my winmo devices they'd be dead in 2-4 hours with just being in standby.

If you are a hardcore user and dont want to carry a spare battery then you need a droid. I use it hardcore and get about 8 hours on a heavy day and 14+ hours on a moderate day. If the Eris had a 1500ma batter, better video recording and didn't have an ancient processor it would blow the droid away. HTC's mods on 1.5 is MUCH better than native Android 2.0.

Upvote 0
ok its 5:36pm and this phone is totally dead in the water. Im so used to be able to get 2 days out of my phones. Now I can only get to 5 or 6pm before its dies. Lets be honest here guys...battery on this device BLOWS. A phone is got to be able to get you through an entire day period. Anyways. Other than that this thing is slick, good looking, beatiful screen and there are a ton of apps in the marketplace to play with which is cool. So no I wont be returning this thing anytime time soon but yes....I have to get a better battery doesnt matter how much it cost cause this battery problem is freaking anoying the crap out of me.

Upvote 0
^I agree, every day I'm getting more annoyed with it.

I mentioned on another thread, Handcent KILLED my battery life today. I went from 100% off the charger at 8am to 25% at 1:30pm. That's RIDICULOUS. So I deleted Handcent (to be honest, I prefer the bare bones OEM anyway) and it's held a charge like normal, which is that great really.

It's not the phone it's the apps you are running. Get the app killer, and kill all processes you don't use every couple of hours. I get 2 days out of my droid. My wife gets all day out of her Eris and only charges it because she goes to bed.

People need to realize you can't run a ton of apps and leave them running. Many of them continue to run in the background. That's what drains your battery.

I had the same initial problem with the Droid. It was SportsTap that was draining it. I got rid of it. Now I use app killer after about 3x a day, battery is just fine.

And I surf a LOT.

Upvote 0
background info: Ive had the eris for about a week. I did the conditioning for the first three days. I use TasKiller. I have Handcent. I use BatteryLife. I surf and text but im not one of those people with his nose in his phone all day.

When i boot my phone after a fresh charge, the first 10% burns rather quick, usually within an hour. It seems once the phone is "warmed up" it gets into a groove and burns slow the rest of the way. I turned my phone on at 1pm on Nov 30 and left it on all day [100% charge]. I thought I turned it off around 12am Dec 1 when I went to bed. Checked my phone around 10am Dec 1 and it was still on [sleeping of course] with a ~69% charge. Left it on all day Dec 1. It is now 11:20pm on Dec 1 and I have a 50% charge. probably wont need to be charged til tomorrow evening honestly.

long story short: you can get some decent time out of an eris battery if you try.

Upvote 0
Hi, my name is Wally...and I'm an Eris owner.

After 3 days of conditioning, I unplugged my Eris this morning at 11:00pm. I used it heavily as i modified backgrounds, downloaded apps, played with my new toy, ect. Wi-Fi was on, GPS off, Mobile Off. I left around 4:30 and then switched over to my default locale (wi-fi off, I flick mobile on). Go to class, play with it during class texting and such. Reading Phandroid via the app. I go get a hair cut, walk to the bus, take it back, and settle down at home around 8. I watch some tv in bed and turn on my Hi Aim so i can still chat. I'm below 20% at this point. The battery is a resilient little f'er.

11:15pm, my phone shuts down peacefully.

That's a 12 hour day out of my battery. I need nothing more. I am content.

Upvote 0
^That's just not the case. I am hardly running any apps. I have used an app killer with no better results.

I agree with you on this as well... I installed Advance TaskKiller 2 days after I got the phone and have been using since killing apps when not in used but that has been no help. Not only that but I have heard from many users that Task Killers don't really make much of a difference any ways. Oh well who knows. I have used many smart phones before and this has been my biggest annoyance so far...I'm not giving up :)...Ill stick around and hopefully they'll come out with a better battery soon.

Upvote 0
It's not the phone it's the apps you are running. Get the app killer, and kill all processes you don't use every couple of hours.

This brings up another point: What IS the correct way to quit an app? I may pull up the browser, hit a website, then I'm done. I want to quit [and free up the memory], but there's no "quit", and expecting me to kill it is just plain stupid.

I read some post that talked about it being a unix system, and you come from a windows world and expect it to be handled different. It keeps the app open for quick access, and closes what it doesn't see in use after a certain period of time. What crap. I'm a unix guy, and have been exclusively for the last 15 years (software dev, SA, IA, etc). The only time I have to force quit an app is 1: if it's run away, or 2: it's a daemon. Aside from that, it's just plain old crappy programming.

The fact remains, I'm the one who decides if I'm done with an app, and the OS/App should honor my request. If I want to quit an app, I shouldn't have to resort to some OS hack to make that happen.

Now granted, I'm only 5 days into my Eris and am maybe missing something, but damned if I can find it. And yes, this battery business sucks. I'm trying to condition it now and we'll see where it goes, but to give me all of these cool features, then expect me to turn them off to make the phone last throughout the day is just more crappy programming.

Doc

Upvote 0
according to the android developers site:
"As noted in a later section, Processes and lifecycle, an activity that's not technically "killable" by this definition might still be killed by the system — but that would happen only in extreme and dire circumstances when there is no other recourse."

telling me that droid doesnt kill these apps (processes), except when its critically low on memory and more than likely really sluggish and hurting the cpu which would also hurt the battery.

therefore i believe its critical to have a task killer.
even with all the fuss, advanced task killer works for me and doesnt effect my battery.

Upvote 0
I've been manually killing apps and I got better results today: Unplug at 8am, at 36% at 8pm. I can't really complain about that. SO, it looks like it really ISN'T killing the apps but leaving them running. I downloaded ATK for a bit to check it out and, sure enough, when I exit a program like Bloo or Twidroid it is still showing as running per ATK.

Upvote 0
most apps, you don't have to kill i think. For example, you run browser, youtube app, facebook app, and music app.

When your phone goes to sleep, all these apps are not running. So it doesn't matter if you kill it or not.
Most apps run in the background, even while your phone is asleep it's still working. Take any of the messaging apps for instance. If you have Hi AIM running, and then put your phone on sleep, it's still running in the background and you'll receive messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones