• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris automatically scrolling to left

DrNathan

Dec 14, 2009
My Verizon Droid Eris (2.1 update) just started automatically scrolling to the left whenever it is plugged in to any power source (AC, computer usb, car). All the forums I've read say it is a hardware issue and Verizon ends up replacing the phone after a series of failed user "fixes" that include cleaning the track ball with alchohol, removing the battery and sd card and cleaning with air can, soft reset, and factory reset. I really don't want to hard reset or go through all of the other failed fixes.

Anybody else having this problem? Please advice. Thanks.
progress.gif

My Verizon Droid Eris (2.1 update) just started automatically scrolling to the left whenever it is plugged in to any power source (AC, computer usb, car). All the forums I've read say it is a hardware issue and Verizon ends up replacing the phone after a series of failed user "fixes" that include cleaning the track ball with alchohol, removing the battery and sd card and cleaning with air can, soft reset, and factory reset. I really don't want to hard reset or go through all of the other failed fixes.

Anybody else having this problem? Please advice. Thanks.

You mentioned every fix except for replacement of the charger and its cable.

Upvote 0
It does the same thing when plugged in to the car charger. My wife has the same phone and it does it when plugged in to her charger. I also have a charger at work and it does the same with that charger. Every charger can't suddenly be bad all at the same time. Conclusion: It has to be the phone.

Upvote 0
I began having this problem more than a month ago, and I finally got fed up a couple of weeks into it. After searching the forums and trying a few of the simple fixes recommended, I called HTC and they walked me through a couple of things, including a soft reset (I told them I really wanted to avoid a hard reset at the time because nothing was backed up). At first, the alcohol to the track ball seemed to help a little, but then the problem grew worse.

I called Verizon and I was told that a hard reset was the first thing I needed to try. I backed up the few files that I could and then gave in to the hard reset, knowing it really wouldn't work. Of course, the phone immediately went back to scrolling to the left at random and being basically unusable.

I decided that I should go to Verizon and see if it was something they could fix or maybe just replace the phone. The first suggestion was a factory refurb, and they asked that I leave my phone for about an hour while they switched everything over. I was a little leery of leaving my phone with them and coming back since I have confidential company information stored on my phone, but I really didn't see a choice.

When I returned to pick up my replacement, they hadn't even begun to do anything with it. I stood at the counter for about 15 minutes while the tech got the replacement set up, and I have been using the replacement a couple of weeks with no problems. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Upvote 0
would the "new" replacement phones not develop this issue eventually as well?

There is no solid "yes" or "no" to that, fhsfish.

There have been a few reports of replacement devices exhibiting issues, some the same bug(s) as the original Eris turned in for exchange, some different issues.

Mostly, though, the new phone turns out to be better, it seems.

Once again allow me to point out that the real problem seems to be quality control of manufacture and/or assembly of the device in terms of hardware; the OS, whether 1.5 or 2.1, is good, otherwise it would show far more bugs and for far more users across the Eris user population; and if the hardware were good, it would show bugs across that population nearly fully with the coming of the OTA for everyone.

We see users blaming leaks, 1.5 and the OTA often in the forums. It would be impossible for the OS to have so much variation in quality, but quite likely for those variations to show up in hardware.

Reactions: tedmc2 and fhsfish
Upvote 0
Im going to throw a curveball into this discussion. My trackball used to scroll all the way to the left when I played nes roms only on 2.1v1 and 2.1v2 leaks. After updating to 2.1v3 leak the scrolling issue went away.

There was quite a blizzard of improvement reports from users moving from the early leaks to the v3.

I remember posting more than once that it seemed to be proof that the OTA was being worked on and evolving, in threads where doubt as to whether or not the Eris was even in line for the OTA at all (the appearance of the Incredible had many users suspicious that Eris EOL was at hand).

Upvote 0
I'm new to this community(first day), so please forgive me for reviving this older thread, but I have an interesting bit of information about this control issue.

I have had the same problem for the last two weeks and just assumed that it was either from a few accidental drops or from the 2.1 leak that I'm using. During a small window of proper functioning, I registered for the Swype beta. After I had installed it, the problem completely stopped. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or if it actually fixed the problem. I have only had swype installed for about a day, but since this problem has started it has never stopped for more than 3-5 minutes. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit/Update: I had plugged my phone in to charge while I was writing this post and when I tried to respond to a text message when I was finished, it got "scrolliosis" again. The scrolling happened whether it was plugged in or not before swype, but now it is only acting up when it is plugged in. Hm...

Upvote 0
I got the "scroll left" problem yesterday. Today the problem got to the point where the phone was nearly unusable and I was planning on bringing it into the Verizon store for a replacement. Then I remembered that two days ago, I'd thought I would try using a wrist strap on the phone. It attached on the lower left corner of the phone. I removed the wrist strap and my problem is solved. I don't quite fully understand how exactly it interferred with the trackball but it must have just provided enough pressure to cause a problem. I really liked having the strap on the phone. The strap provided a little extra security against dropping especially when you are carrying a few items in your hands.

HTH someone,
Leah

UPDATE: A few hours later my phone started acting up again. Had no time to make it to the Verizon store today and to make matters worse, I dropped the phone on the wet pavement. The back case and battery fell out and turned my stickers red. Ugh, I hope I can still get a replacement.

Upvote 0
I finally took my Eris to the Verizon Wireless store after this problem prevented me from answering calls on my phone. The customer service person asked me to hang in there until the end of August, which I guess is when FroYo is coming out.

She said this update is supposed to fix the problem with the Eris.

Removing the battery while it was still on helped for a couple days, but the problem seems to return pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
I finally took my Eris to the Verizon Wireless store after this problem prevented me from answering calls on my phone. The customer service person asked me to hang in there until the end of August, which I guess is when FroYo is coming out.

She said this update is supposed to fix the problem with the Eris.

Removing the battery while it was still on helped for a couple days, but the problem seems to return pretty quickly.

My phone is rooted with kaosFroyo v24 and it is still doing the trackball to the left. I do not think it is software related. I think the customer service person is giving you bad info.

My phone was brand new and didnt start developing this problem until a few months ago. It does lock up alot I have just not sent it in yet.

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted with kaosFroyo v24 and it is still doing the trackball to the left. I do not think it is software related. I think the customer service person is giving you bad info.

My phone was brand new and didnt start developing this problem until a few months ago. It does lock up alot I have just not sent it in yet.

Mine has KaosFroyo v23 and it just started doing this a couple of days ago, but it never did it before I put v23 on it. I've found that if you charge the phone fully, then restart it, it goes away until it's plugged in again. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I had an Eris that was doing the same thing, scrolling to the left, moving the cursor while texting. I went to the Verizon Store after a factory reset, and I got a refurbished device. I drove home, and hooked it into my car charger. Got home, started putting all my stuff back onto the phone, and it started doing it again! Went back to the Verizon store (fun day, huh?) and the rep had me do a factory reset, and all seemed fine and told me to go home. Left the store, turned on my truck, plugged in the phone to the charger, it started doing it again!

Long story short, and now on Droid Eris number three. The car charger was causing the problem. I have stopped using it, and the Eris I have now is working just fine!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones