• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris fell into sink, total submersion...

The alcohol displaces the water so you dont get rust, you still have to dry it with rice after the alcohol

I've done this one. the rubbing alcohol also has the benefit of quicker evaporation. You can stick the phone (and optionally rice) in the oven set on "low" with the door cracked, and drive out all the alcohol pretty quickly.

I did this with a Moto Razor that had gone through a whole cycle in the washing machine, and it came out working as good as new!

Upvote 0
I've done this one. the rubbing alcohol also has the benefit of quicker evaporation. You can stick the phone (and optionally rice) in the oven set on "low" with the door cracked, and drive out all the alcohol pretty quickly.

I did this with a Moto Razor that had gone through a whole cycle in the washing machine, and it came out working as good as new!

That is truly amazing. Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0
mine fell into a giant glass of water/liquid and was totally submerged. pulled it out and it was still on. lol. tried to boot it up it didn't turn on. put it in rice for less than a day then pulled it out and put it up against a heated that was about 85-90 degree's a small heated taped it to the front for 10-15minutes. then took it off let it sit for a day then tried to turn it on. it didn't turn on at all. went and bought another eris and for shitz and giggles put the new battery in the old phone and the old phone turned right on. lol then took the new phone back to verizon and just bought a battery for the old one.

end of my story. g/l and if you do decide to upgrade or get another phone just get the incredible. no need for bullshit or everyone to cry over it honestly the incredible is better in every way compared to the eris. g/l and hopefully your phone some how comes back to life however if it doesn't and you can afford the upgrade or change get the incredible.

Upvote 0
Despite what you may think, water actually isnt a very good conductor. Shorting you phone would be harder than you think. When people say dont swim or take a shower during a lightning storm, the reason is because the salt on your body IS a good conductor. When the salt mixes with the water THAT is when water becomes dangerous... I think your phone will be fine :)

Also, I have heard that if you put your phone in the freezer it will also help. No joke. My friend fully submerged his KRZR in water, put it in the freezer and it worked just fine. Dont ask me how as I have no clue...
What you are saying is only true if the water is absolutely free of impurities. Normal tap water is an excellent conductor of electricity in most cases because of the impurities found. The "harder"the water the better it will conduct.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
:( Well, I wasn't so lucky with my recent water experience. I got caught by the rain while I was running and listening to music, and now the headphones are constantly on, which means I can only listen to voice mail, but speakers not working. I can do everything else, but since its a phone, its useless. The water sticker is red on the usb connector, and the one on the battery is white with red lines.
I think I am screwed. I saw somewhere on the internet that you could bleach it, but there is no point if there is another one under the USB connector.
I should have returned this phone a long time ago since it was causing me problems with the screen going left and the cursor moving for no reason.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Upvote 0
@mountain I would recommend selling your damaged Eris on eBay (I just sold a water damaged broken Eris with a non-functional touch screen and got $100 plus shipping for it). Take that money, throw in another $50-75 and buy a like new, used Eris (again, I've purchased used units for anywhere from $100 to $200 that were indistinguishable from new).

No sense trying to hide the water damage. Folks will STILL buy it as long as you disclose the condition...these are HOT phones in the used market right now!

Upvote 0
UPDATE: These tears you see are tears of joy. The uncooked rice treatment resurrected my Droid Eris from its accidental soaking. Battery is good, all system settings are intact, volume rockers operational, controls are responsive, headphone jack still good. Extra special thanks to Mahatma brand rice... best 1.50 I ever spent!

Fantastic....oh happy days...to be without that thing is, I'm learning, awful.

Upvote 0
I'm actually here because I dropped my blackberry in a boat one day and it got wet. Tried the rice thing for 2 days and it would power up and even ring if you called it but nothing on the keyboard would register. Looking back, I could have tried a new battery but I was due for an upgrade anyway and the Eris was calling my name.

My wife's curve lost all function from any button. Since it was out of warranty (15 months) I removed the covers, the keypad and lifted the contact membrane. I found corrosion under there stopping it from working, the moisture stickers were all good. I used some Que tips and alchol to clean it up.

She is still getting a new phone, the Ally should be here on Thursday.

Upvote 0
OK so i dropped my eris in the tub! for like 2 seconds. It was still on and working so i took it apart and dried as much as i could. Used the hair dryer a lil bit, turned it back on and the touch screen was acting kinda funny. Eventually it wouldnt work at all. So i took it apart again, read something about a rice trick and it is now in a bag of rice.... but still worried about the touch screen? Everything else works... do u think it may be irreversible? Anybody had this happen??? Please Help!!

Upvote 0
OK so i dropped my eris in the tub! for like 2 seconds. It was still on and working so i took it apart and dried as much as i could. Used the hair dryer a lil bit, turned it back on and the touch screen was acting kinda funny. Eventually it wouldnt work at all. So i took it apart again, read something about a rice trick and it is now in a bag of rice.... but still worried about the touch screen? Everything else works... do u think it may be irreversible? Anybody had this happen??? Please Help!!
Capacitive touch screens can be very sensitive to moisture and cause them to behave erratically. It might be fine, but you'll have to wait for a day or two for the phone to completely dry. But you may have damaged it severely for not letting it dry completely and may have shorted something with the screen sensors.

Upvote 0
At a previous employer one of the department managers took a shower in the locker room and according to him, he likes to turn all the showers on for extra steam. Well his Blackberry 8700 didn't like it and went all dead and corodey (well by the time he called the helpdesk on it). I couldn't make it work. So we had to order him a new one. I still have the phone but it is in pieces in a box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones