• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris freezing up in the cold

I've been out side smoking and playing on my eris and I notice it really starts to lag in the cold. I live in Minnesota and winter here is pretty cold.

I'm just wondering if any one else has experienced this?

i would think at a windchill of 10 degrees most phones would have issues but stay warm man. my sony ericson used act up in the cold. when i was in korea in the army i always had radio problem in the butt ass cold that's why i had 3 in my pack.

Upvote 0
I've been out side smoking and playing on my eris and I notice it really starts to lag in the cold. I live in Minnesota and winter here is pretty cold.

I'm just wondering if any one else has experienced this?

All LCD screens suffer in the cold. It is not the phone that is lagging, it's just the LCD screen. You may notice a battery life drop with extreem cold as well. Mainly when the phone has sit in the cold for an extended amount of time unused, like in your car. The battery life will actually recover when you get them phone warm, but not completely.

-R

Upvote 0
i would think at a windchill of 10 degrees most phones would have issues but stay warm man. my sony ericson used act up in the cold. when i was in korea in the army i always had radio problem in the butt ass cold that's why i had 3 in my pack.

A WINDCHILL OF 10 DEGREES!!!!! The high temp today was 12!!!! The windchill was below zero all day long ... not to mention once winter gets here we will have days at a time where the high temp is below zero.

As for the lag in the cold ... I noticed it a little today, but not to bad.

Upvote 0
A WINDCHILL OF 10 DEGREES!!!!! The high temp today was 12!!!! The windchill was below zero all day long ... not to mention once winter gets here we will have days at a time where the high temp is below zero.

As for the lag in the cold ... I noticed it a little today, but not to bad.

sorry bout my flawed weather logic. all i did was look up the temp in your area and that's what i got from the internet. but yeah anything below 25 degrees is still butt ass cold LOL

Upvote 0
I cant say anything for other phones, but I can speak for my G1.

Last winter (Twin Cities) I spent quite a few full days on frozen lakes or outside all day in the cold. I even used it during the Winter Carnival Medallion Hunt. Yesterday I used it for 4 hours Geocaching at Crosby Park. I even take it outside with me at home when I smoke (i dont smoke in the house). I carry my phone in a holster on my belt or backpack.

With this expiriance I can tell you I have never had any problems with screen issues or battery drain do to the cold.

There is a thread here some where, where I posted about leaving my phone outside for a 1/2 hour last winter and it worked just fine.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. I work the walk in cooler at work on night shifts and I use the Pandora radio app as an mp3 playrr, but the phone freezes solid while I'm in the cooler and usually for an hour or so after I leave. I always blamed the freezing on Pandora, but now that I know someone else has the same problem it makes a lot more sense.

Upvote 0
I have nothing to really add but wanted to clear up a misconception that was mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Materials do not care about wind chill, only ambient air temp. A steel pipe outside in 10F weather is going to be 10F regardless if there's no wind, 5MPH wind, or 50MPH wind :) The only thing the wind would do is cool the surface temp back to ambient faster than with no air movement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones