• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris GPS not working outisde of mainland USA

Have been on PR 's west coast since Jan 2010 ... Droid via cardiotrainer tracked the first of my beach workouts in Jan but never again. .. has been switching to counting steps since then ... tried the *#*#4636#*#* trick suggested here but it simply indicates that the location is temporarily unavailable. .. so I also start believing that gpsone requires some sort of network kickoff since the accuracy in mainland us has been stellar. .. hoping for some software guru to provide this kickoff. .. will happily try any other tricks or beta test any solutions. ..

Thanks for trying that. That's a bummer.

Unfortunately, even though Qualcomm says that all "gpsOne" cores are capable of being operated completely standalone, that doesn't mean that the software that controls the core actually allows it to do so. To make matters worse, it seems that in most phones the GPS firmware is part of the "radio image" - and the source code for that is never released.

(There have been radio firmware hacks - for instance for the HTC Mogul - that actually turned on the GPS chip even though HTC had disabled it completely on that phone - but radio hacks are pretty fussy things - patching binaries without any sources is tedious and error prone work.)

If you were to lobby anyone to do change this for you, it should be HTC - put in a request to them.

The strange thing is - I have experimented with recording GPS tracks (driving 5-10 miles) with the cell radio turned off on the Eris, and it seemed to work correctly ... but a probable flaw with my testing was that I hadn't traveled very far from the last place where I got a fix (with the radio on). Even standalone GPS units (such as Marine GPS) use a standard trick of "assume you are at the last location where a successful fix was made" when starting up, and that reduces the amount of time required to come up with the next fix, so long as the distances between the actual location and the "last known good" location are not too far apart.

The reason that mobile phones use A-GPS modes, whether an "initial kick" or more than that, is to decrease the first fix time. It might be that HTC has concluded that if they can not get A-GPS services from the local network, that it is "better" to just turn off the GPS completely... "better" meaning they will have fewer customers claiming "my phone is erratic".

One more thing that you might want to try, if you still have any patience left dealing with this, is try:

- turning the cell radio off ( *#*#4636#*#* thing )
- use the GPS Status (EclipSim) App
- manually make sure that the phone does not sleep for 7-8 minutes
- Check the reported Lat/Lon against an online tool ( maps.google.com )

Standalone GPS units can take 5-6 minutes to acquire a first fix from a "cold start" condition - unless an app specifically keeps the phone awake, the GPS unit will sleep as well. (Google's "My Tracks" app will keep the GPS unit running even during screen blank).

Anyway... thanks for the report.

eu1

Upvote 0
Different subject, but Puerto Rico is amazing! Make sure you go to [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fajardo Bio Bay, you Kayak through a Bioluminescent Bay at night ... one of the most amazing things we did there last October. [/FONT]

i have nothing to add, haven't been out of the country since buying the eris, BUT:

i hate you. would love to kayak through something like that...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the additional suggestions. However, if you take moto droid away from the 3g verizon network, gpsone goes dead ... it's no use ... tried it all:

* GPS Status
* GPSTest
* Google MyTracks
... no lock ... not even a single satellite in sight ... which also means no latitude or longitude

Wondering why verizon is so quiet. Aren't there any folks out there with verizon know how that can shed some light? As before, I am sure the gpsone will come back to like once I set foot on US mainland soil. BTW, PR is a far cry from being out of the country ... it is proudly US Territory.

And, on a positive note, paddling through one of the bio-luminescent bays is one of the best things I have ever done.

Cheers... over and out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones