1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General eris in canadia on vzw

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by icomeanon, Feb 24, 2010.

1. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    CSR/web-dev
    Northeastern Ohio
    so i wanna go to canadia/canadada for my vacation this summer...quebec/montreal/ottowa roadtrip. last time i was in canada with vzw, i had the curve. so what im wondering is will this be the same: no internet (which means no nav or email), phone calls and texts at a ridiculous cost?

anyone know? not having any sort of navigation unit when roadtripping through unfamiliar ground would be...inadvisable. maps nonwithstanding, when you get off course, a navigation unit can get you back to where you should be.

Advertisement

2. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Computer Technician / Systems Implementation Manag
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, first of all, it's spelled Canadadia, thankyouverymuch....

And I believe unless you've worked out something out of the normal range of plans with Verizon, you will be 'Roaming'.

I go over the border for work all of the time. I avoid making texts and calls with my personal cell over there, unless I'm RIGHT on the border.

icomeanon likes this.
  3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    IT
    Toledoish
    There is a North America plan but I have no idea if that covers data or not but worth checking into. If you can find a storm/tour/touch pro etc activate and unlock maybe you could get a prepaid sim once you get there?
    You'll have to scour google voice forums too, There is some website "freephone.ca" or something like that where you can get a free virtual canadian phone number and GV lets you add that number to it....soooo while it sounds complicated if you can work that out with a prepaid sim might save ya an aweful lot, perhaps enough to get a garmin so you don't have to rely on the phone for GPS ;) Just a suggestion

icomeanon likes this.
  4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Nov 23, 2009
    L'Etoile du Nord
    I have a friend who just vacationed in Canada, she called Verizon and switcher her cell to a Canada area ... it cost $5 to make the switch. She then switched back when she came back to the states. If you want to receive email/internet/updates in Canada, it might be a good way to go. I should mention that she does not have an Eris, but she does have a smart phone.

icomeanon likes this.
  5. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    CSR/web-dev
    Northeastern Ohio
    Thanks all, ill see what i can get done so im not out of touch for a week.