• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Eris or lg ally? Dont be biased plz

d3310n

Android Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2011
florida
I have a choice....keep my lg ally or get a family members eris. I really dont even like the keyboard on a smartphone idea so it is just deadweight to me. But on the other hand the ally is just about the fastes armv6 phone i have ever seen (quardrant averages at 1000! :D). Help me make this decision easier! Also please post your eris quadrant scores to help me get an idea of this things potential.

I have a choice....keep my lg ally or get a family members eris. I really dont even like the keyboard on a smartphone idea so it is just deadweight to me. But on the other hand the ally is just about the fastes armv6 phone i have ever seen (quardrant averages at 1000! :D). Help me make this decision easier! Also please post your eris quadrant scores to help me get an idea of this things potential.

ok well i dnt know much about the lg ally but i have a droid eris and i have to say its a good phone, but comparing to the newer androids out there, it's no match

I do like HTC better than Lg though and the Eris has HTC Sense which is a must for me but again i've never used an ally so idk

Upvote 0
ok well i dnt know much about the lg ally but i have a droid eris and i have to say its a good phone, but comparing to the newer androids out there, it's no match

I do like HTC better than Lg though and the Eris has HTC Sense which is a must for me but again i've never used an ally so idk

Weve got some nice roms but only 2 of them.....would like some more choice ya know? Btw the devs we have are AMAZING even though we dont have many. Btw whats the highest quadrant you can get on the eris?

Upvote 0
If you want ROM choice, the Eris is a good phone to have. There are three or four cm7 ROMs, too many froyo ROMs to count, including both cm6 and aosp, and several 2.1 ROMs a couple sense-based, one with sense elements, and a vanilla 2.1. The devs are constantly releasing updates (at one point I was flashing every 3-4 days).

I can't comment on the Ally either and I've never run quadrant on my phone, so I don't have any kind of numbers for that.

I dont' know if this would be possible, but if you'd be getting the Eris for free, why not just get it, don't activate it, and then just use it wifi only to test it out, try out ROMs, etc? Again, this is assuming you'd get the eris for free.

Upvote 0
Yea the Eris has alot of great ROMS...i don't even know all of them becuase there are so many...theres many 2.1 ROMS and Froyo ROMS and they are actualy working on Gingerbread ROMS but they aren't really stable yet and ill probaly nvr try them out...Eris not made for Gingerbread

The only gingerbread ROM for the eris that I know of that isn't stable is KGB. All of the cm7 ROMs seem to be working great. I've been running a cm7 ROM since February as my daily driver. I would, however, stay away from KGB unless it gets a significant update.

Upvote 0
they are prolly using "quadrant standard edition". thats the one everyone uses for some reason(i personally think antutu is a better app). i downloaded it for sh*ts and giggles and ran it on tazz's AOSP gingerbread and for a 289,then a 316. the benchmark scores from any app are not real accurate or reliable. just run it a few times and pick your best score to brag about :D

quadrant scores are basically meaningless to me. how my phone feels is of more importance,personally,as there are tricks to get your scores up :eek:

i had an ally when they came out and sent it back. lgs skin and bloatware caused constant force closing,and it was extremely laggy. im sure the 2.2 update helped,and im sure rooting it helps just as it does with the eris.

at any rate,im not sure why you posted on an eris forum wanting "unbiased info on wich is better". naturally we know this phone so youre not likely to get the opinions of someone who has used both,and picked the ally over the eris here. just as the opposite happens when you post this same question on the ally forum :rolleyes:

i thot about getting another(this time used) ally to root,since i enjoy rooting and roming. after looking at your rom selections, i decided not to. not that the roms you have arent functional,fast,etc.,im sure they are great roms and you have some good developers. you just dont have very many ;)

if you can get an eris from a family member,id prolly get it and give it a shot. if you dont like it,no biggie,go back to your ally. but hey,thats just me. :D

EDIT:
and heres why benchmark scores are pointless. i just ran a test using this app:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antutu.ABenchMark&feature=search_result
and got an 851 same rom,same settings :eek:

the breakdown for anyone interested:
memory: 98
cpu integer: 222
cpu float:18
2d graphics: 149
3d graphics: 93
database io:65
sd card write: (5.0 mb/s) 50
sd card read: (15.6 mb/s)156

if you care about more than just a big overall number,run a test with this app and see how individual things compare. again, you can run it several times and get different numbers,but it will give you an idea which phone is better at what.

Upvote 0
they are prolly using "quadrant standard edition". thats the one everyone uses for some reason(i personally think antutu is a better app). i downloaded it for sh*ts and giggles and ran it on tazz's AOSP gingerbread and for a 289,then a 316. the benchmark scores from any app are not real accurate or reliable. just run it a few times and pick your best score to brag about :D

quadrant scores are basically meaningless to me. how my phone feels is of more importance,personally,as there are tricks to get your scores up :eek:

i had an ally when they came out and sent it back. lgs skin and bloatware caused constant force closing,and it was extremely laggy. im sure the 2.2 update helped,and im sure rooting it helps just as it does with the eris.

at any rate,im not sure why you posted on an eris forum wanting "unbiased info on wich is better". naturally we know this phone so youre not likely to get the opinions of someone who has used both,and picked the ally over the eris here. just as the opposite happens when you post this same question on the ally forum :rolleyes:

i thot about getting another(this time used) ally to root,since i enjoy rooting and roming. after looking at your rom selections, i decided not to. not that the roms you have arent functional,fast,etc.,im sure they are great roms and you have some good developers. you just dont have very many ;)

if you can get an eris from a family member,id prolly get it and give it a shot. if you dont like it,no biggie,go back to your ally. but hey,thats just me. :D

EDIT:
and heres why benchmark scores are pointless. i just ran a test using this app:https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antutu.ABenchMark&feature=search_result
and got an 851 same rom,same settings :eek:

the breakdown for anyone interested:
memory: 98
cpu integer: 222
cpu float:18
2d graphics: 149
3d graphics: 93
database io:65
sd card write: (5.0 mb/s) 50
sd card read: (15.6 mb/s)156

if you care about more than just a big overall number,run a test with this app and see how individual things compare. again, you can run it several times and get different numbers,but it will give you an idea which phone is better at what.

Nice post! You have a good point and your right about the opinion thing. But if the eris is too much slower than my ally i will go insane. Not that this ally is slow lol if it helps, in linpack i get 10.3 mflops which for a armv6 phone is fast. Also sorry to hear you never rooted an ally trust me even if we only have 1 current rom developing for it cant get much better than that one. Try it, its fast. Makes you feel like you got a new phone!

Upvote 0
As I recall, the Ally has a dedicated 200 MHz GPU, which probably explains the better quadrant and linpack scores. And probably one of the things that makes the phone faster than the Eris (it also runs stock at 600 MHz rather than 528 MHz on the Eris.) The Eris has 288 MB RAM vs. the Ally's 256 MB - that's about the only spec in which the Eris is better.

I really don't know much about the Ally, but I do recall that the general impression is that it is a better handset than the Eris.

Upvote 0
As I recall, the Ally has a dedicated 200 MHz GPU, which probably explains the better quadrant and linpack scores. And probably one of the things that makes the phone faster than the Eris (it also runs stock at 600 MHz rather than 528 MHz on the Eris.) The Eris has 288 MB RAM vs. the Ally's 256 MB - that's about the only spec in which the Eris is better.

I really don't know much about the Ally, but I do recall that the general impression is that it is a better handset than the Eris.

Would the erises lack of dedicated gpu effect real world performance like browser loading times?

Upvote 0
Yea the Eris has alot of great ROMS...i don't even know all of them becuase there are so many...theres many 2.1 ROMS and Froyo ROMS and they are actualy working on Gingerbread ROMS but they aren't really stable yet and ill probaly nvr try them out...Eris not made for Gingerbread

Gingerbread runs better than Froyo. And there are a couple of VERY stable GB ROMS.

Upvote 0
Would the erises lack of dedicated gpu effect real world performance like browser loading times?

im sure it will to some extent. if you go to the same sites frequently things will feel faster as caches build up. when i had my ally,it definately did not feel any faster at loading a brand new webpage then my eris does. tho in all fairness that was several months ago,and i didnt do any kind of side by side testing,just going from memory. it also was one of the first to come out,so it was buggy 2.1 and full of bloatware and FCed stuff constantly. im sure a rooted ally running a nice custom froyo rom is a night and day difference.

Upvote 0
im sure it will to some extent. if you go to the same sites frequently things will feel faster as caches build up. when i had my ally,it definately did not feel any faster at loading a brand new webpage then my eris does. tho in all fairness that was several months ago,and i didnt do any kind of side by side testing,just going from memory. it also was one of the first to come out,so it was buggy 2.1 and full of bloatware and FCed stuff constantly. im sure a rooted ally running a nice custom froyo rom is a night and day difference.

Oh it is. But its the little things also that this thing lacks like flash lite (which the eris has) is there a general release of flash lite that i can use?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones