• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Randomly Powering Off

SeattleYanksFan

Android Expert
Mar 1, 2010
USA
Hi, just got a Droid Eris a few weeks ago. All of a sudden, on a somewhat regular basis (4-5x in last week), the phone will just shut off and the only way to turn it back on is to remove the battery.

This occurs even when the battery is not even close to empty (today, for example, an hour after coming off the charger all night).

This is quite a troublesome issue, and before I decide what to do regarding keeping it, exchanging it for a new one, or returning it and holding out for the N1 or Incredible, I'd like to see if anyone has input regarding this issue.

Thanks!

Hi, just got a Droid Eris a few weeks ago. All of a sudden, on a somewhat regular basis (4-5x in last week), the phone will just shut off and the only way to turn it back on is to remove the battery.

This occurs even when the battery is not even close to empty (today, for example, an hour after coming off the charger all night).

This is quite a troublesome issue, and before I decide what to do regarding keeping it, exchanging it for a new one, or returning it and holding out for the N1 or Incredible, I'd like to see if anyone has input regarding this issue.

Thanks!

Thank back to when this started happening. Did you install any applications that day? If your not sure you might want to try a factory reset to see if it clears it up. Otherwise you might have some hardware issues and should be able to get it replaced. Also you might try turning off syncing for everything and see if this clears it up. Check your memory and see if its constantly running low. From experience with any form of OS, low memory or low drive space can affect any OS, or pesky third party apps. Good Luck.

PS Welcome to the forums....

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input. The phone is actually my fiance's, so I don't have complete knowledge of everything done on it.

We looked at her app downloads and nothing stands out.

We brought it back to Verizon today and the guy had no idea what the problem was and couldn't give her a new phone unless she could replicate the problem for him, which obviously we couldn't do. He did, however, back it up and reformat the phone, so we shall see if that does anything. If not, it'll go back before the 30 days is up for either a new Eris or for good until a new Android phone comes out later this month (hopefully).

Out of curiosity T2noob, what apps do you have? Perhaps there is a common one you two downloaded that could be the culprit? If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0
this was happening to me with my eris it kept powering off randomly and i took it back to verizon and they told me it was a common problem but they would not replace the device unless they could verify it in the store. which i think is ridiculous by the way but anyway i did a lot of arguing and i got my new eris and it now works flawlessly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones