• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris to v2.x, when?

Upvote 0
[
Originally Posted by mespo365
Hi,

I dont want to cross post or anything, but I thought I should share this information. I have heard this same story from a buddy who lives in NJ and thought bs but saw this as well. Just thought I would contribute

Droid Eris Now Available With 2.1 OS... - CNET Cell phones Forum

Hey! I'm from NJ and I did not start the rumor!

:eek:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7817_102-0.html?threadID=389169

We need some good plans for May Fool's Day; maybe a FroYo update rumor or something?

Upvote 0
My Verizon experience today:

SoHo - NYC - Corporate VZ Store

Very nice guy, very honest, had a Moto Droid so he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Bullet points:

I asked him about the update to 2.1, and he said, "We where originally told April, but then it got pushed back." I then asked him if it was because of the Incredible. He replied, "No, I don't think so. They said they where still working out a few bugs."

He also even said that he got to play with the Incredible for a little bit, because they had models for training. So, he was being pretty honest with me. Very good experience, as I always have with Verizon.

The last thing I asked him was would the Incredible replace the Eris? He said, "Absolutely not, we still plan on carrying accessories and supporting the device fully." So, I also don't think they are going to hang us out to dry.

Upvote 0
My Verizon experience today:

SoHo - NYC - Corporate VZ Store

Very nice guy, very honest, had a Moto Droid so he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Bullet points:

I asked him about the update to 2.1, and he said, "We where originally told April, but then it got pushed back." I then asked him if it was because of the Incredible. He replied, "No, I don't think so. They said they where still working out a few bugs."

He also even said that he got to play with the Incredible for a little bit, because they had models for training. So, he was being pretty honest with me. Very good experience, as I always have with Verizon.

The last thing I asked him was would the Incredible replace the Eris? He said, "Absolutely not, we still plan on carrying accessories and supporting the device fully." So, I also don't think they are going to hang us out to dry.

Well, you have to understand the Incredible is the successor to Eris. It's like the selling of the Storm and Storm 2. One just gets phased out slowly.

The Eris is/was the bargain buy. People will still buy it.

Upvote 0
Cross-post from non-sticky thread:

Back on February 17, they attempted an OTA upgrade for a handful of test users. Some lost their contacts, some lost all their data, some lost the Sense UI, and some got bricked. The upgrade those users received was the exact same software version as our leak #1. The files in leak #1 were created February 11, and the files in leak #2 were created March 1. It only took them six days to start testing leak #1 OTA, so why haven't they done the same with leak #2?

Upvote 0
just did a live chat with a verizon sales rep about the 2.1 update and here is what happened:

Paige: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Paige: Today, Verizon Wireless is offering free activation with your online order. You can also take advantage of the online prices and instant online rebates by ordering online, and get free shipping.
lucas: yes
Paige: In an effort to better assist you, are you an existing Verizon Wireless customer?
lucas: yes
Paige: Are you logged into "My Verizon" with your username and password?
lucas: i was wondering about the new android 2.1 update for the droid eris and when it would be comming out
Paige: There is not release date as of yet, it was expected this spring but there has still not been a release nor information given.

kind of a waste of time

Upvote 0
I also did the live chat with Verizon and I sort of got a timeline. Granted, I don't really trust that she may have known what she was talking about, but hey, I at least got the name of a month vs. "sometime soon".

Racquell: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Paul: Hi, Racquell, I just purchased an HTC Droid Eris. I was wondering, with the HTC Incredible, are you going to stop supporting the Eris? And if not, when is the Android 2.1 software going to be released?
Racquell: I'd be happy to help you with that.
Paul: Is Verizon going to stop supporting the HTC Eris?
Racquell: Now, I love Android OS. And no, of course not! It'll still be fully operational. We're just adding a new phone to the line up.
Racquell: And the Eris will be on 2.1 by the end of the 2nd quarter of 2010.
Racquell: (probably by the end of July)
Paul: Okay, thank you for your help

End of July? New date? Still don't trust it. But again, at least I got more luck than some of the people on here with a timeline. Also, I emailed HTC and they said end of June/July as well. But again, I'll believe it when I look at my phone and "Android 2.1" shows up in my notifications.

Reactions: paleodust
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones