1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Eris to v2.x, when?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fahertyps, Dec 7, 2009.

1. willdogs

willdogs Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Doheny

Doheny Member

What's the difference between 2.1 and 2.0?

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert

4. luger

luger Newbie

We don't know the difference because no phone has 2.1 yet. But obviously an even newer version is good for multiple reasons.

5. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Android Enthusiast

I'm glad Google released the 2.1 source early this time so HTC could start cooking up Sense for it... instead of holding it back so some newly-launched phone could be the FIRST EVAR PHONE to run the new OS.

6. gm991

gm991 Android Enthusiast

what are the NAV perks?
    WIll it act like a full functioning GPS?

7. willdogs

willdogs Android Enthusiast

Yes.

See this video
    YouTube - Google Maps Navigation (Beta)

Even though they are showing it on a Motorola Droid, once we get the update on our Eris, it will be identical.

8. spartan141

spartan141 Android Enthusiast

i guess i can finally get rid of my tomtom.:D

9. pavirotten

pavirotten Android Enthusiast

Bring on 2.0!

10. falexs

falexs Member

I talked to a Verizon Tech. Support Rep, I'm assuming he was a second level rep. since the original Tech. Support transferred me to him. He said that the target date to get the upgrade software to the Eris is January 24th. He didn't know what version, but assumed it was 2.0.

11. mccarthyj2000

mccarthyj2000 Lurker

Got my $29 Eris from newegg in the mail today. It is my xmas present. My number has already been transfered. No phone for a week :(

12. porky101

porky101 Well-Known Member

I am from NJ too. We have not right to "rip" on any other state, when ours is in worse condition then any others. :D

13. bcltoys

bcltoys Android Enthusiast

Are these phones on phandroid brand new or refurbs.Free makes me wonder.

14. TheExoticFish

TheExoticFish Newbie

Sprint confirmed that the Hero will receive 2.1 so I assume Verizon will follow and give us that also.

15. bsutton1

bsutton1 Android Enthusiast

^ HTC and Spring confirmed 2.1 on Hero on Twitter. I hope Eris gets it.

16. doubljdog

doubljdog Lurker

Well i think we should be more focused on rooting this puppy. Then when either the eris or the CDMA hero gets the update, the other shouldn't be waiting too long with the fine folks here and over at XDA

17. Ataranine

Ataranine Android Enthusiast

I've been following this thread very closely.
    [PRJ] Rooting the Droid Eris - Page 51 - xda-developers
    These guys are working their arses off.
    But I'm sure you already knew of that thread. xP

18. bsutton1

bsutton1 Android Enthusiast

I was at a Verizon store today. I'm considering getting the Eris next weekend. I asked a Verizon rep if he knew when the 2.0 upgrade will come out. He told me probably by the end of December. :)

19. Ataranine

Ataranine Android Enthusiast

That guy probably threw out that date cause he got tired of people asking. lol
    No updates til January, at the earliest.

20. bigwavesufer4

bigwavesufer4 Newbie

so, i didn't want to make my own thread for this being new, but with the operating system upgrading and everyone wondering if that means their phone will operate faster, what i was wondering is if its a memory problem. my old crappy samsung glyde worked awful and they said it was because when i had too much memory it would crowd the system so they recommended a memory card. my doid worked smooth as anything when i first got it, and it still works great but ever since i downloaded all my music and a few apps its gone from great to just good...its a little bit laggy and i'm not one to complain but i'm wondering if maybe i should just upgrade to 16gb.

21. Doheny

Doheny Member

I was speaking to 611 last night. She said (reading from a script) that the upgrade is due within "the coming weeks", "sometime within Q1, 2010."

22. teegale

teegale Newbie

I just got my Eris in the mail today. I paid $9.99 total on Amazon with a 2 year contract.

23. Garick

Garick Newbie

haha, what a contradiction

24. pkopalek

pkopalek Android Expert

Lots of buzz about January 22 and January 24th.

I am optimistic. Can they really do an entire OS update OTA though?

Will we be going to the Verizon store to get this?

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews