• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
33x795d.gif

This should be interesting..

Upvote 0
Little follow up..
so since verizon has been tuggin on my balls since day 1, I decided to call HTC. Guess what they told me....thats right, they dont have a date they have no idea...WTF is this shit. Look, if they are having problems with it then just say so. Dont keep giving out false information, all that does is piss ppl off.

Upvote 0
FWIW....I just spoke to Verizon about the update. The guy said HTC told them May 15th or 16th.....

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/55823-official-droid-eris-2-1-os-coming-very-soon-30.html#post676570

Thats is someone with garbage until it is in writing. The hero leak and the Best Buy document make it very believable. Until the VZW document with the fixes is leaked, don't hold your breath.

Also, HTC is not releasing the patch VZW is, they dont control the date. VZW QA's it and decides when to push. Leave HTC alone, let them start working on the 2.2 upgrade.

Upvote 0
Ok, Verizon reps don't know and neither do HTC reps. This isn't stuff that most employees get advanced warning about. If they do, then the reps that actually frequent this forum will most likely drop a hint about a date.

That the Sprint Hero is supposedly getting the update at the end of the week and the fact that HTC just released the 2.1 Eris kernel both bode well that an OTA could be out for the Eris in the near future. Until it happens or is announced by something official then there is no real news on the subject.

Reactions: butthead007
Upvote 0
Ok, Verizon reps don't know and neither do HTC reps. This isn't stuff that most employees get advanced warning about. If they do

Back when i bought the Eris in November, the Verzion Rep didn't even know what the release names where for the Android Os (i.e. 1.5-cupcake, 1.6-donut, 2.0-eclair etc etc), so For them to even know a release date for this is slim to none, and even if they did i still wouldn't believe them till my notification beep went off.

Upvote 0
Prior to getting my Eris in December I was a long, long term palm user. I had a 600, a 700p and a Centro. The 700p was a half-baked piece of garbage; it had been built for Windows mobile and the Palm version was buggy and awful. So Palm promised a firmware update. It was about 6 months overdue, then in the summer of 08 Verizon finally released it. It was terrible. It bricked one phone for me. Verizon upgraded all of the ones they had in stock, and I had no data service unless I was roaming (!). On 5 or 6 different phones. Verizon finally (at my suggestion) sent me a treo 650, which worked fine, until the firmware update was fixed in the fall of 08.

Verizon's high level support people were great, and they sent me phone after phone, no questions asked. I really believe that that screwup belonged to Palm, and not to Verizon.

Anyway, I think Verizon is going to test the hell out of any upgrade now. I think the versions getting leaked are proof of that. I am not happy about it, but I understand.

Upvote 0
Prior to getting my Eris in December I was a long, long term palm user. I had a 600, a 700p and a Centro. The 700p was a half-baked piece of garbage; it had been built for Windows mobile and the Palm version was buggy and awful. So Palm promised a firmware update. It was about 6 months overdue, then in the summer of 08 Verizon finally released it. It was terrible. It bricked one phone for me. Verizon upgraded all of the ones they had in stock, and I had no data service unless I was roaming (!). On 5 or 6 different phones. Verizon finally (at my suggestion) sent me a treo 650, which worked fine, until the firmware update was fixed in the fall of 08.

Verizon's high level support people were great, and they sent me phone after phone, no questions asked. I really believe that that screwup belonged to Palm, and not to Verizon.

Anyway, I think Verizon is going to test the hell out of any upgrade now. I think the versions getting leaked are proof of that. I am not happy about it, but I understand.

I would assume the OTA upgrade everyone is waiting for would be the final Eris-specific upgrade the world will ever see...if we ever see it. They probably want to make sure it is as error free as humanly possible.

Upvote 0
So I went to vzw store just to see Incredible and for kicks asked if the eris was getting an update to 2.1...the consensus between the clerks was that the eris was just a 1.5 phone...

I showed them my 2.1 and the guy was like "oh you rooted...kiss your warranty goodbye." I then corrected him and told him it was a leak. He then looked completely confused.

Anyways all the reps wanted to see what 2.1 looked like on an eris. I was astounded. They were really excited about the Incredible though.

Guess this further proves the point that you can join this forum and within a few hours know more about android than the majority of vzw employees.

So thank you everyone for all the great android help and knowledge! No point in asking vzw just search these forums!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
i called HTC to bitch about my phone not getting an OYA like promised....the customer service guy i spoke with told me " We have no idea when it will actually come out, but if you go to Androidforum.com.... you can download the leak....I did...It works great "... LMAO... I love this site now

That's friggin' hilarious if you ask me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones