• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris vs. Incredible

Steve B.

May 3, 2010
Buy 2 Eris's for $20, wife and I on an every 2 upgrade and buy one, get one free deal, OR spring for the Incredible @ $200 for me and something for the wife.

I'm a long time Handspring/Palm user, Visor, Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 600, 650 and now Centro. Even with the HP buy out of Palm, I wasn't impressed with the Palm Pre, the OS seemed slow at times. Plus I believe the Android OS is going to be a killer system.

I did like the Eris I played with, as did my wife, who's never had a smartphone. Had no issues with the touch screen keyboard. I DO hate lag in a device, waiting for a app to open, etc... which I noticed on the Pre.

The real question is, for someone who likes my Contacts, Schedule, Phone and Memo book on one device and who would be perfectly happy using Google for contacts and schedule, but who desires some add'l functionality such as Google Maps/GPS capability, web access, is the Incredible TOO much OS/Phone and would I be happy with an Eris ? and is HTC/Verizon going to upgrade the Eris to Android 2.1 (without so called root hacks) and do I NEED 2.1 ? and as a side question, is the Eris battery life better - in theory then the Incredible and is battery issues on Incredible anything to worry about ?.

Thanks in advance and yes I did a forum search

Steve B.

I would spring for an Incredible. While the Eris is a good phone, the hardware is starting to show its age. It can start balking at even the more simple apps. 2.1 tends to cover a lot of this up since its a bit more efficient and doesn't make the phone as slow, and various ROMs remove SenseUI in order to speed up the phone. But I'm sure that in the long run, you'll be happier with the Incredible.

Because in my opinion, the Eris really improved by 100% with the 2.1 leaks, even if they are incomplete and somewhat buggy leaks. However, the Incredible should have most of these problems ironed out since its native to 2.1.

Also I will note, in the stock 1.5, the Eris has horrid battery life due to a Message app bug.

Just my .02.

Upvote 0
While I disagree about some of the "facts" here I would agree. If you are buying now go for the Incredible. I do not feel that is anywhere near 4 times as fast, but it is better, and it will be more future proof. I would also wait to see what comes out of the LG Ally that is supposed to be coming out soon. I, however, do not see the point of selling an Eris for an Incredible. However, I digress so I'll stop now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up with an Eris for my wife, she liked the feel and size, though the way Verizon has these phones displayed, if it's a functional phone, it has security and other crap glued to the back, so you don't really get a sense of how the phone feels in your hand.

That said, I played with the Eris and Incredible for an hr. or so in the store, and settled on an Eris for wife and on-line ordering the Incredible, since they don't have any in the stores, why deal with a rebate from the store when it's automatic on-line. The VZ on-line experience was nothing short of painful as they are swamped for some reason and it took a good hour and 8 or so attempts to get the order place.

The Incredible was faster and I noticed that right away, as well as deciding that there are 2 Droid app's that I will want down the road, one a bicycling route tracker of some sort, the other a remote control interface for a lighting control device at work (theater), that's due out and I believe both are only 2.1 versions.

I then played with the Eris for a few hrs. at home, found it amazingly easy to get up to speed on, got wifes e-mail setup, home wifi with mac filtering configured (which I could never do on her iTouch !), sync'd the GMail calender, loaded some photo's and all without once referring to a manual. This after a dinner with in-laws where we were discussing their upcoming Oregon trip and I had my wife lookup Google maps to see where the in-laws were headed. Impressed them, to say the least.

So I suspect I'll be a happy camper on an Incredible and all my anxieties about no longer being a Palm/Handspring user is fading.

Thanks again for the help

Steve B.

Upvote 0
No, to the OP 5thElement has something seriously against the Eris. I would agree that its faster, but I would take any claims he makes with a grain of salt.

*retires back to Eris section before getting flamed*
I'm not going to flame anyone I am providing factual information here. Because to you it sounds outlandish it must be me being negative and talking sh*t about the Eris but I'm not. As stated I am providing factual information. Benchmarks show the snapdragon 1ghz being 4 to 5 times faster than the eris and it really does feel that much faster. It maybe hard for you to believe but its true.

Upvote 0
I'm not going to flame anyone I am providing factual information here. Because to you it sounds outlandish it must be me being negative and talking sh*t about the Eris but I'm not. As stated I am providing factual information. Benchmarks show the snapdragon 1ghz being 4 to 5 times faster than the eris and it really does feel that much faster. It maybe hard for you to believe but its true.

My wife and I got the Eris about 2 months ago. I put 2.1 on mine and it was better but now I have just got an incredible and it is way faster than the eris. Also, it has the horsepower to run the eye-candy that sense has. I really liked the Eris alot but I love this phone I have now I think. I say I think because I have had it for a week and if I find something horrible, I don't want to look like a dork. I might already look like a dork for loving a phone though.

Upvote 0
The Eris has the better form factor. It just feels "right" in your hand. The Incredible is comfortable but is bordering on being too large. But you wouldn't get the great screen if it wasn't slightly bigger. It's incredibly thin...a very nice thing. The charging port on the Eris is MUCH better and more logically placed on the bottom. The Incredible has it inconveniently located on the left side. This is a distinct negative for the Incredible. The notification light on the Eris is much better than on the Incredible. The tiny little green LED on the top left is almost impossible to see. I find battery life on the Incredible to be significantly better than on the Eris. I'm not sure if this is because of superior power mgmt. technology. The screen on the Incredible is amazing. The speed of the Incredible is like nothing I've ever seen. It's lightening fast. The speech to text on the Incredible is a groundbreaking feature and very well implemented. Finally, the Incredible's camera is really amazing. As good or better than most consumer digital cameras. Much better than the Eris. The power button/screen unlock button on the top of the Incredible is not the most convenient placement IMHO.

Overall I'd take the Incredible in a heartbeat (I did...lol), even though it cost me $129 more (Verizon - amazingly - allowed me to return my Eris for a full $79 credit even though I had it over 30 days). The Eris is a very nice phone but it gets annihalated in this direct head to head. That's not to say that it doesn't have a few annoying ergonomic glitches (it does). But as a phone/portable computer it has no peer. It's really 'incredible.'

Just thought I'd share some of my thoughts to any of you considering the Incredible...especially if you currently own an Eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones