• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris with 2.0/2.1 as good as the Moto Droid

hal1

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2009
Other than screen size and resolution, should the Eris be able to do everything the Moto Droid does after the OS upgrade? Am I sacrificing that much web browsing speed? Anything that the Eris wont be able to do that the Droid does?

Movies and games do NOT look any clearer on the Moto Droid. Who ever posted that is simply creating their own reality and believing it.

Well that might be me, except I never said anything about games or videos looking clearer. I just said the higher resolution MIGHT matter for gaming or movies. Heck if I could figure it out online I would have ordered 2 Eris's today for the bogo sale.

Upvote 0
Other than screen size and resolution, should the Eris be able to do everything the Moto Droid does after the OS upgrade? Am I sacrificing that much web browsing speed? Anything that the Eris wont be able to do that the Droid does?

Battery life is better on the Droid based on what people have been saying about the Eris. My Droid lasts all day and into the next day before it needs a charger.

Upvote 0
I switched to the Eris from a dumb phone the Samsung Rogue. I believe that actually had an even higher resolution screen than the Droid considering it was like 480x800 but only 3 inches. Things like the icons and desktop did look a bit sharper but you'd have to be really picky to notice it. Text looked a bit sharper as well on things like webpages but after using the Eris for a couple weeks I find myself not caring one bit. Games and videos I honestly can't tell much difference perhaps those are limited by the source anyway.

Upvote 0
Ohter than better screen and camera flash, I see no advantage in the Moto Droid over the Eris that can't be fixed via an O/S update (i.e. Google Maps nav). And PLEASE don't say "..but the Droid has a keyboard..." because it's horrible. I'll take the virtual Eris keyboard any day over that.

Can they get the video recording resolution bumped through software? Hardly a big deal but I'm curious.

Upvote 0
Ohter than better screen and camera flash, I see no advantage in the Moto Droid over the Eris that can't be fixed via an O/S update (i.e. Google Maps nav). And PLEASE don't say "..but the Droid has a keyboard..." because it's horrible. I'll take the virtual Eris keyboard any day over that.

While I believe that the update to 2.0 or 2.1 WILL make the Eris faster, the advantage of the Droid over the Eris is that the Eris will never be as fast as the Droid.

The Droid simply has the superior processor and will always be faster running the same software.

I really liked the Eris when I had it, but I simply found the phone too slow for what I wanted to do with it.

Upvote 0

Well, since you are an Eris fanboy, let me tell you that the "update" you are looking for may not be until April of 2010. If you are familiar with how Verizon works updates, get ready to start waiting.

The Droid's keyboard isn't it's selling point to me, I dont even use it. It has a flash, it has a faster processor, it has higher resolution (and BS to those who can't say you can't notice it, my wife has the Eris and even SHE notices it), and the battery lasts a lot longer.

I've been through your pain tho. I had the G1 a long long time ago when it's battery was horrid. Unfortuntely, the G1 battery still stinks. This is why I stayed away from the Eris... I don't want a sub par battery failing on me while I hopelessly wait for Seido or someone else to make a better one which could happen next week or in 6 months.

Sorry.. not worth it to me.

And you saved 100 bucks by buying the Eris over the Droid. How much do you think Seido's battery will cost?

You will end up paying way closer to what I paid at the end of the day, and you won't have 2.0 or the faster processor, the better graphics, or the better screen.

I think Verizon played Eris buyers for fools. The fact you had to buy the phone, then BUY another battery is BS. Think about it. But hey, Seido loves Verizon no doubt.

Upvote 0
Well, since you are an Eris fanboy,
"Fanboy"? Seriously? What are you, 10?

Everything you've said is totally irrelevant and sounds more like you are trying to justify spending $100 more than we did. If you don't like the phone, great, but nothing you said is a problem for me and many others.

Please expand upon your comments and explain exactly why we have been "played for fools" when we're perfectly happy with our choice?

Upvote 0
While I believe that the update to 2.0 or 2.1 WILL make the Eris faster, the advantage of the Droid over the Eris is that the Eris will never be as fast as the Droid.

The Droid simply has the superior processor and will always be faster running the same software.

I really liked the Eris when I had it, but I simply found the phone too slow for what I wanted to do with it.
OK, that's a fact. But let's revisit what I said: "Other than better screen and camera flash, I see no advantage in the Moto Droid over the Eris that can't be fixed via an O/S update." That's MY feeling about it. Do I want to pay $100 more for flash, better resolution, and a faster processor? No.

I'm someone who generally stays a generation or so behind in tech because I let others take the price hit while I wait it out a bit. For example, when I build a new computer, I buy the previous generation processor, not the one just released last week. So no, I don't need a faster processor in my phone. After all, we're talking about a phone.

Of course, that's all just my opinion so if those things are important to you, go for it. Have a great time with it.

Upvote 0
"Fanboy"? Seriously? What are you, 10?

Everything you've said is totally irrelevant and sounds more like you are trying to justify spending $100 more than we did. If you don't like the phone, great, but nothing you said is a problem for me and many others.

Please expand upon your comments and explain exactly why we have been "played for fools" when we're perfectly happy with our choice?

Apparently you do not read the other posts. People are perfectly happy with their choice? I see a lot of whining about the Eris.

If you are happy that is all that matters. I was just saying that by the end of the day, if cost was even, the Droid is more powerful. And if people have to buy more batteries, the cost will be even.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm still in my 30 days, but I'm not taking it back. I'd buy the Droid again today.

I like a phone that will get me though the entire day and night without fear I'll have a dead phone in my pocket. But if you like the Eris, awesome.

I too would have gone for the Eris probably had it not been for the battery issues and no flash on the camera to be honest. But reading this side of the forum compared to the Droid side, I am glad I went Droid.

Upvote 0
Well good, you should be happy with your purchase. Spending money on something that isn't what you wanted absolutely sucks.

Let me ask you this: How many people who are perfectly happy with their Eris start threads saying "I love my phone. I made the right choice!"? Not many. As a matter of fact, how many people are as nerdy as we are (I say it in jest) and join a cell phone forum? Percentagewise, not many at all. So yeah, of course you're going to see the unhappy people post their issues, that's what a forum is for, to try to seek help. But that's a small number compared to the entire Eris population.

Upvote 0
I agree with hrbib21.

I had the droid. yeah it had a faster processor, but the droid showed lag sometimes and i still haven't noticed much of a performance difference when jumping to the eris. Yes the droid has better screen resolution, but I'm never going to watch a full movie, the best quality video i'll be watching is web video, which the eris handles fine.When it comes to the flash,WHO CARES. I have a $400 camera to handle pictures.So i have to charge the phone everyday(which i get a full days use), i always had to do that with every smart phone i ever owned.

So at the end of the day i won't take advantage of the added specs and end up with a lighter more enjoyable phone that doesn't feel like i'm carrying around a brick.

Oh, also, i wonder what all these droid fans going to do when 4 to 6 months from know when the sliding keyboard won't stay closed:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Well, since you are an Eris fanboy, let me tell you that the "update" you are looking for may not be until April of 2010. If you are familiar with how Verizon works updates, get ready to start waiting.

The Droid's keyboard isn't it's selling point to me, I dont even use it. It has a flash, it has a faster processor, it has higher resolution (and BS to those who can't say you can't notice it, my wife has the Eris and even SHE notices it), and the battery lasts a lot longer.

I've been through your pain tho. I had the G1 a long long time ago when it's battery was horrid. Unfortuntely, the G1 battery still stinks. This is why I stayed away from the Eris... I don't want a sub par battery failing on me while I hopelessly wait for Seido or someone else to make a better one which could happen next week or in 6 months.

Sorry.. not worth it to me.

And you saved 100 bucks by buying the Eris over the Droid. How much do you think Seido's battery will cost?

You will end up paying way closer to what I paid at the end of the day, and you won't have 2.0 or the faster processor, the better graphics, or the better screen.

I think Verizon played Eris buyers for fools. The fact you had to buy the phone, then BUY another battery is BS. Think about it. But hey, Seido loves Verizon no doubt.

Woah, hostility. Yikes. Why not exchange your Eris for a Droid this weekend?

Upvote 0
Lol love this thread.

The Eris is better, and the update is going to make it much more enjoyable than the DROID than it already is.
Don't even get me started on that crappy slide out keyboard.

But hey, some people prefer crap, so I'm happy for any and all who love the DROID. The only reason more people seem to own a DROID is because the Eris doesn't get commercials like the DROID does. The Eris is the underdog! :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones